Boston Nov 9 6PM

Discussion in 'November 2008' started by max, Nov 6, 2008.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here goes my Amir defense:

He was 2 for 4 in jump balls last night. He won the opening tap, and was 1 for 3 during the game. What a great job he did getting on the floor to get the jump balls in the first place though. We were +9 with him on the floor. His help defense was great and KG didn't abuse him (like he did last year). Also, Amir shot 43% vs. 34% for the rest of the team.

Shooting 3-7. Made a nice college range 3 pointer late on the shot clock. Had a sweet put-back jam off of someone else's missed jumper. Had a great finish on the break and got the and-one.

One of his misses was immediately tapped back in by Tay. Amir was blocked twice. That leaves only 1 other missed shot.
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For some reason I seem to think the Pistons were supposed to play last night. Oh well, must have it wrong on my calendar. Or there was a game and I've already forgotten it.

For those keeping score, Joey Crawford does not trade in his first class tickets for coach and pocket the difference. This morning he was riding the gray leather.
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Team looked lost out there. The only good thing about this is I didn't have to listen to Heinsohn, as Cedric Maxwell was the analyst.

This conscious decision not to play inside on offense is going to paint (pun intended) Detroit as a "soft" team.

Team isn't used to AI and AI isn't used to them. He moves with the ball rather than passing it, unlike Billups who did more passing than dribbling. It's just a different kind of ball movement. The guys just need to get used to one another, which means a lot of practice.

Yes, AI, I'm talking about practice.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I envy you.
  5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

you can hear most of my comments on the pdocast. i would like to say that amir needs to be on the floor more often - and keep him out there in the 2nd quarter. if he can control the fouling, he's our only big that can adequately defend the pick-and-roll and disrupt the other team's offense. sheed is a superior 1-on-1 defender, and max does decent enough on p&r, but amir is disruptive and hustles. garnett didn't go at him hard last night, but amir still defended him very well.

tay should've taken 10 more shots.

AI played very tentatively...he needs to just do what bynum was doing and drive hard, although boston makes it more difficult than most teams. and max needs to be ready in the paint for AI's passes.

herrmann...where'd your shot go? please don't turn into jarvis v2!!

kwame is adequte at defending, but when he's playing with amir/max we don't have any major low-post options (max has been doing better with that lately but was absolutely terrible last night) so teams can key on the perimeter. hopefully we will get dice back and that will change.

we did a LOT of standing around on offense last night, regardless of who was the PG. it's hard to get into offensive sets and swing the ball to the weak side when everyone is just standing around.

i'd love to see afflalo in the 2nd quarter, as he knows how to keep the ball moving. maybe even do a stuckey/rip combo in the 1st and AI/afflalo combo in the 2nd. we shouldn't be having such terrible 2nd quarters.

either way, nothing to panic about. we outscored boston in 3 of 4 quarters, amir looks improved against KG, and it's early in the season. it just sucked to witness AI's debut end with such a dud.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If you guys have time, go down to your film rooms, cue up the reel from last night, and watch the frame by frame of Amir's fouls. Almost all of his fouls were nit picky whistles when he was helping out on someone else's man. I think this is why our defense is better when him in there game, despite all of his fouling. Most of the time, the help D works and when he fouls, it is usually preventing an easy bucket.

How about Kwame's pass to Sheed from the post? That was surprisingly good.

One other random point. As sloppy as the Pistons were, we still forced more turnovers from Boston. Not sure how we accomplished that. Would have been a complete blowout if they would have protected the ball.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Nope, Amir did not win the opening tap, we just happened to get it after KG tapped it first. The only tap he won was against Eddie (5'10") House. Now, I did mention Amir in the Good paragraph, his hustle was awesome, this kid consistently shows why he deserves to start and why he should be on the inactive list simultaneously in the same play. Amir is the least of our worries, he'll learn and get alot better as the season goes on.

Just curious, why did you come to Amir's defense and not to Richard "Call me Stevie Francis" Hamiltons defense?
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Your criticism of Rip is unfair. You try shooting with tears in your mask.
  9. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Is that like tears in my fro?

(© Sliders)
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

My defense of Rip would be that our offense wasn't setting him up. He was getting the ball in situations that don't favor him. Chauncey wasn't spoon feeding him. This is why I am doubting the eventual success of AI and Rip on the court at the same time. One of them should come off the bench, but that will be a really tough one for the coach to manage.
  11. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

All the Amir jump balls I saw were of the variety of Amir getting tied up, rather than the other way around. Granted, Amir was usually on the floor when he got tied up, but I'd like it better if he were able to find a way to get the ball to a teammate. Jump balls are rarely a guaranteed possesion.

I suppose he probably does in a lot of cases that never show up as a statistic.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He was on the floor every time picking up someone else's garbage.
  13. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

lol. Actually, it wasn't that bad. It was only 12 straight.

:stooges:
  14. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

I feel ya on that one. I'm stuck out here in Celtics land too and there isn't a more biased color commentator on the planet than Tom Heinsohn. The most frustrating thing is we get to see the Pistons maybe 5 times a year on TV and they put forth a very SAD effort every time they play the C's. They're driving me to drink!

:beer:
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Very good post. The only thing i disagree with is the bolded. The Celts stopped trying. They coasted the rest of the game as did their bench so i don't think that can be taken as a positive.

Alot of good comments about this game esp Tashawns'.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

ROTFLMAO!!!!! NOW that was funny!!!

I bet Rip was on Roundball 1 listening to Marvin Gaye's, "Distant Lover" on repeat all the way to the west coast.
  17. linwood

linwood All-Star

These kind of insider facts are why I keep coming back to this forum. Thanks, DBA!
  18. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

[​IMG]

Actually don't. He's a bad captain and is starting to show he needs to be traded too. :nod:
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:pound::laugh::rofl::rofl::laugh::pound:
  20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Rip was not getting the ball where he usually gets it. Yes, agree that AI may have been too tentative. He may have to play more like himself although if he takes too many shots, that is not a formula for success.

I think people are missing the point on Amir. Yes, he does a lot of little things and shows great promise. But he is quite aways from reminding me of Ben. We have gone from Sheed and Ben is their prime to a young and therefore inconsistent Amir and Sheed at age 34. Maxiel was overmatched against Boston. He is not a great jump shooter and when he attacked the hoop he got blocked or fouled. But he is not a great free throw shooter. Amir is not a good shooter either for that matter.

Kwame can bang. But the Pistons must learn that he is not an offensive player. The team goes to Kwame in the post right away almost every time. That is low percentage. He does not shoot free throws well.

If you put these shortcomings together, expecially when Sheed plays old, there is a problem. To overcome this, the players have to do things that change the balance like blocking shots, getting steals, etc. But our defense has not been energetic at all except for the first quarter.