1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Boston Jan. 5th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'January 2008' started by Dlev59, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Speaking of rookies. I know Memphis is far out of the playoff picture at the moment. But they don't plan to stay there. Conley is back from injury and starting at point now for them. Further, Stoudemire is not playing at all for them. Rather, Lowry is doing all the backup point guard minutes. Memphis is a far better team now, for playing a rookie, and a guy who only played 10 games last year in his rookie season.

Further, Navarro is a rookie. Today, he finished out the win for Memphis.

Oh yeah, and Rudy Gay is just in his 2nd year, and has pretty much passed Gasol as their top scorer.

2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I am not for a minute saying AJ, AA or Stuckey`s minutes should be limited, however, Gay, Navarro and Conley are on totally different rosters than this Piston one.

It`s like apple and oranges.

That does make a difference.

3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Thought this was a great post to help me make a point. You guys realize that when it comes down to the top 2or3 teams there is not alot of differences. Team for team, it's a toss-up. It's very rare that when 2 teams meet in the Conf Finals or higher that one team is just that much better than the other. The reason why the Pistons have lossed the last 2 years has less to do with Flip than the fact that come game 6 or game 7 the best player on the court does not wear a Piston Jersey.

To win it all you need players to make plays. Wade did it 2 years ago, Bron did it last year. While everybody talks about SA being some great TEAM, the truth is Duncan is arguably the best player to ever play his position, Ginobli is the biggest competitor not named Kobe, and nobody in the league can stay in front of Tony Parker - all of those guys can make a play and get an easy bucket in spite of the defense. There is no Piston who can do that. Not Sheed, Rip, Dyess, Max, Tay, AJ.....NOBODY. Sure we want to believe that we are the best team in the league, and we are, but when it comes down to it, great teams are not going to allow an offense to just execute, somebody HAS to be able to beat their man, somebody has to be able to hit a shot with a hand in their face. If we lose to Bos in the conf finals it will have more to do with Paul Pierce (Not Garnett, Not Allen, Not some role player) Taking over and deciding not to lose, than whether Max or Dyess starts, or AJ plays, or Flip makes "Adjustments".

Remember when we won the ECF in '05? Game 7 in Miami, Wade was playing hurt and was ineffective. I'm not saying anything in particular, but we may have been sent packing had he been healthy, cause prior to his rib injury we had no answer for him.

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

This was when we had the great LB here, whom I really loved as a coach, I felt we played our best ball under LB but I'm not overly nostalgic like some folk around here:
    NBA.com: No Wade... No Way

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great post KGREG...finally someone admits that despite having the best 5 or 4.5 starters in the league, not one of them is a bonafied superstar to put us over the top when all of the pieces are not in working order.

We have had an excellent team for 5 years now with a set of flaws that the current coach has not so far been able to overcome despite the fact that Joe has given him what seems to be enough tools to get over the proverbial hump.

We are not going to get that superstar now, but that Rip, AJ & six draft choices for Kobe trade would have certainly done the trick this year and next despite what trio of superstars play 41 games on the parquet floor or in the state of Texas.

6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Hey!

No sweetening the pot! There was no Faygo discussed!:gun1:

7. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Funny how their "best basketball" is always just over the horizon.

...the one that never seems to come.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I still like our formula.

If we had a superstar, we'd have less of something else. Where is Miami now? Why don't we consider the Cavs a threat this year?

When was the last time Kobe's team won a championship?

How about McGrady? I mean he even has Yao on this team and some other nice pieces.

Iverson/Mello?

We lost a close game to an equally matched team. You guys are just freaking out.

9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well... yeah. It's what we do.

I bet if you look out your window right now to the east you can see a big piece of sky falling.

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Holy crap! You're right. I knew Flip should have played Amir.

11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Flip not playing Amir is behind all the storms rampaging across the US. All except for the storms in California, those were all about Afflalo needing a few more minutes.

I don't know if I like our 'formula' better but I like our players.

re: Low,
    I think its funny how our best basketball is in Dec and Jan. I hope we surge again in the playoffs.