1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Boston Celtics

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Sep 4, 2005.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Paying Doc a visit

With a month until camp, Rivers gives his take on new-look Celtics

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff | September 4, 2005

Celtics coach Doc Rivers returned to Boston last week in preparation for the start of training camp Oct. 4. That meant meetings with executive director of basketball operations Danny Ainge and plenty of jokes about the possibility of Rivers playing point guard for his young team. There seemed no better time to ask Rivers about his plans for the Celtics, his relationship with captain Paul Pierce, and changes in the team's code of conduct.
    Q. What will you do differently this season, your second with the Celtics, given such a young team?

A. ''I'm going to be who I am. I'm not changing. I will change some things that we do offensively and defensively, nothing huge. I like a lot of the things we did. I just think we have to get better at doing some of those things. We have to improve defensively, big improvements. That doesn't mean we're going to change schemes. We just have to commit to it as a team. I didn't think we were a very good executing basketball team. Until we execute well, we're going to struggle winning tight, big games. I thought we won our share of those during the regular season. During the playoffs, I thought [poor execution] came back to haunt us offensively, especially because we were bad defensively."

Q. Have you talked to Pierce this summer, considering the frustration he had with your approach last season?

A. ''I've talked to him a couple times. It was great. I was extremely frank with him, but it was nothing like we were sitting around screaming and yelling at each other. The one thing Paul must understand is there is a difference between criticism and coaching. One of the things I made clear was I'm going to continue to coach him. That's the only way this team can improve. For us to be better and to take the next step, Paul has to understand that. I think he will. I think he's trying to. Paul has to keep wanting to improve on his game. I cannot allow him to settle where he's at. I don't think that helps this team."

Q. Do you think he was receptive to what you were saying?

A. ''I do. And none of these were long talks, but they were good enough talks for me. I don't make it a practice to reach out and talk to guys a bunch during the summer, to be honest. One was a scheduled meeting and the other one was just happenstance. I'm not real concerned with that [relationship]. I think he understands where I'm coming from now. Last year was Paul's first year of change. In the past, he's pretty much had the keys. He still does, but I'm asking him and I was on him last year to use them responsibly."

Q. What do you think of the team Ainge has assembled?

A. ''Honest, I don't know. We're extremely athletic, but we're also extremely young. I don't know if we're the youngest team in the NBA, but I would say we probably are by far. But we're talented. We're not young and bad. We don't have young players and a lot of projects. Gerald Greene right now is the only project being young. Al Jefferson is young and he can play. Kendrick Perkins can play. Delonte West can play. Tony Allen can play. Marcus Banks can play. So, you know there are a lot of good things about that youth."

Q. Is Jefferson ready to start?

A. ''That's up to Al. He has to be a better defensive player, especially at that [power forward] position. He has the ability to start."

Q. Are you concerned about the point guard situation without a veteran like Gary Payton?

A. ''Yeah, I'm concerned, but not probably as much as everyone else. I've heard, 'Doc, are you going to play point for your team this year?' about 20 times. I'm hoping someone steps forward between Dan [Dickau], Delonte, and Marcus. I'm hoping two of them step forward so we can have a pretty consistent lineup. One of the things I didn't like [last year] was we never had a consistent rotation at that point guard spot. It was Gary and either Delonte or Marcus. Some of that was due to injuries and some of that was due to play. I would love to make that a rotation where the first and second guy who wins it, it stays that way."

From the Boston Globe

2. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

Boston

if pierce gets traded it would probobly mean they are going to be in the lottery i hate him and the now heat member crybaby walker and the bad part of this is well i agree with lamb i hate the celtics so i dont see anything wrong with it