1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Away Boston Celtics Wednesday Feb 15 2012

Discussion in 'February 2012' started by roscoe36, Feb 13, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Feb 15, 2012.
  1. Detroit

22.2%
  2. Boston

77.8%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

7:30 PM EST

TV: FS Detroit / NBA league Pass
    Radio: 97.1 The Ticket

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Laimbeer is only betting in games that are a sure thing.
    I seem to be following him with my votes.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Check out my vote on February 19.

4. Nemo

Pistons gave a good effort yesterday in the loss to the Spurs.
    Rodney Stuckey seemed to have a decent game.........especially if BDL said so.
    Tonight, they travel to the gaaaden to play the Celtics.
    I imagine the Celtics are entering the part of the season when a team of older players
    begin to hone their skills for the playoff push.

The Pistons....playing away from home....will come out flat tonight.

Celtics by 11....................

5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

He played well until he decided it was "Rodney Time" in the 4th Quarter and decided that he was better than the combined efforts of three defenders on a couple of plays. The 4 additional rebounds that he should have snagged also could have been the difference in the game.

All in all, if he played like he did last night, every night; he might be tradeable at his current salary.

...There Nemo, you feel better now? :6shoot:

Nemo likes this.
  6. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

What an awful game. Boston's announcers are awful; I mean, ragging on a player for helping a guy from the opposing team up? Really? Classless fools. What makes it worse is all four of the guards who've played have at least 2 fouls. BG and Brandon have 3. Moose has 2 as well. Ridiculous.

7. Nemo

You sound like my wife during a game.............:)

8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Can't lose this game anymore up 10 , 1 min left. Bengo - one of his good ol' days game - worth of his contract.

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well you can't lose them all, and the Pistons took advantage of lackadaisical play by Pierce and Allen (KG was injured) and the Pistons won the fourth qtr and held on during crunch time to beat the Celtics in beantown probably for the first time since the 2008 playoffs..??

Rondo was the man tonight, but sat probably too long in the 4th and the Pistons made their move with him on the bench.

Ben Gordon hit all 4 of his threes in the 4th to lead the charge, but got plenty of help in the scoring dept from Monroe and Stuckey.

Pistons were 24-29 from the line with Stuckey a perfect 11-11.

I know some of us want as many ping pong balls as possible, but lets try to play to win now and tank it in March and April....

10. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Surprised to get a win at Boston, tbh. The place was rocking in the first half, then went quiet for the second. Their announcers still suck, but they actually didn't make me as mad as Houston's announcers did, probably because it ended in a win.

Greg bounced back very nicely. Without KG, they had no one who could contain him, and Moose was aggressive the whole way, a huge part of the reason why his team was in it even with Rondo running around getting whatever he wanted in the first half. Had a big rebound late off Max's missed free throw that paved the way for a BG triple, making it a four point trip. He did have four turnovers going against a handsy Boston defense, but I'll take it, so long as he continues to be aggressive and not settling for jumpers.

Stuckey had a good game, having the ball in his hands a lot more with Brandon on the bench in foul trouble. He actually got in foul trouble himself in the first quarter, ending with 5 fouls total. He was more under control at the end this time, though he didn't really get the ball as much with them going with Moose and BG who had the hot hand with Brandon triggering the offense.

Brandon had a quiet game, spending most of it in foul trouble (finished with 4) while guarding Rondo. He made adjustments in the second half (fronting Rondo and denying him the ball) and picked up only one more, an iffy offensive foul with Pierce taking the charge. Speaking of the charge, he made adjustments there as well; right after that play he drove the lane again, this time stopping just in front of the set defender (Pierce again) and using his length to lay it in without getting contact. Got to like the fact that he was driving in the lane with elbows flying about, not shying away from contact even without the mask for all of the fourth quarter.

BG had an up and down first half, having 3 fouls at halftime. He was making his shots for the most part before getting another tech at one point. Pistons were lucky Rondo missed the free throw (he missed 5 of 9). While Greg and Stuck kept us in it, it was BG getting hot that put them over the top. Those threes in the fourth were tremendous. It was also a BG three that put it away when the Celtics made their play for a comeback.

JJ didn't play much, only eight minutes. He was quiet as well. Twitter says he was icing his ankle on the bench which would partly explain his limited playing time.

Walker D had a so so game and played only 10 minutes.

Will Bynum saw some action, only 5 minutes, and he actually did a fair job.

Big Ben was okay, he played some good defense and got some nice boards in traffic.

Max was ok, hitting 50% on free throws and outmuscling a bunch of Celtics. He also drew a charge on O'Neal which was JO's fifth iirc.

Decent game, but you can bet the Celtics will be itching for some payback when they visit the Palace.

basketbills, roscoe36 and Nemo like this.
  11. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Good write-up, Alexa... as always.

Note: fourth straight game in which Maxiell has scored exactly six points.

roscoe36 likes this.
  12. BillLaimbeer

Someone actually predicted this upset....

13. copper

copper Bench Warmer

nice write up alexa, I would like to add to it that I am seeing a bad trend late in games when it is supposed to be crunch time. I was wondering if anyone else noticed that they seem to go away from Moose. I wish they would use the big fella...whats the point in having a solid big if we dont use him when we need to either get the basket or dish to a cutter at the end of a game? instead we seem to have a isotay or we piss around with the ball on the perimiter until the clock is down to 3-4 ticks then they hoist. I dont know about everyone else, but I remember when we were winning ships our guards would penetrate and dish or get contact and go to the line, with a scoring big we should be feeding the post and letting him decide to score or dish. I also noticed BK ditch the mask in the second half. I sure hope he doesnt take another smack and end up with serious nose problems

14. BillLaimbeer

LOL. I figured someone would eventually notice that......................:):):):)

15. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I tried to move some of the posts but could only move it to a new thread.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Since Frank juggled the starting lineup and replaced Ben Wallace with Maxiell, we have improved dramatically.

Nobody has cracked 100 points yet against us with Maxiell starting and we are 5-3.

During the Maxiell starting era:
    91.8 ppg allowed vs. 96.8 ppg allowed over the first 23 of the season.
    93.9 ppg scored vs. 85.7 ppg scored over the first 23.

So, if my math is right, we have improved by 7.2 ppg on offense and we have improved by 5.0 ppg on defense for a total per game improvement of 12.2 points.

On the other hand, we've played some really bad teams during this run (basically 5 teams that are worse than we are), so our expected record should have been 5-3:
    L- Nets (3 point loss)
    W-Bucks
    W- Hornets
    W- Nets
    W- Nets
    L- Wizards (we got slaughtered) Knight shot .111, Russell .143, Daye/ Gordon/ and Stuckey all shot .222 with plenty of shot attempts. Fluke game with .326 team %.
    L- Spurs (4 point loss)
    W- Celtics (sans KG)

That's the most positive thing I could find though, so let's pretend that it has been due to improved play.

raxrets likes this.
  17. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Ha, just realized this thread was for the home game on the 19th. (thanks Nemo) Never noticed it before lol, my bad, guess listening to Tommy Henson and his droning voice distracted me. Hopefully LP gives me George and Greg for the next few home games.

copper - yeah, I agree, though I vaguely remember it usually being a Rip curl/Chauncey post up play rather than a drive. I could be wrong. To be fair, Greg was having a little bit of trouble hanging on to the ball at that point, he'd just gotten the ball slapped away, saved it with a jump ball that still ended up going Boston's way and BG was legitimately hot. Was a little bit concerned for BK there as well, playing without the mask, but it seems to genuinely bug him having it on; he was constantly fiddling with it every time there was a dead ball.

18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And I was wondering why no one logged post game comments in today's game thread but me and TaS.....:confused:

19. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Be happy to. :burp: Seriously though, I think it helped that they finally got a little bit more practice in, and they've been home for most of that stretch. It's the softest part of their schedule by far though it did help the players get back some confidence after the long losing streak. Boston's crappy free throw shooting/Pierce and Ray Allen being cold played a part as well.

20. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Well, wonder no more! It's recent post syndrome! :biggrin: