Away Boston Celtics Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Discussion in 'December 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

We went toe to toe against the top teams and the league and went all Rocky Balboa out there - ugly, flawed, determined, and persistent. We're one Lillard heroic shot from a three game win streak and a back blurb on ESPN in the fantasy basketball section for all the press we get.

Among many things that stand out from the Frank era is that people believe. We don't get utterly routed. A huge part of that is Josh but the whole team stays focused through the many goofs during a game. As much as Jennings goes And1 touring in the fourth, between him and Josh, we have that guy who will make something happen with the ball in his hands... and not dribble off his foot like Gordon.

Lee356 and LA Dre like this.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

ONE GAME UNDER .500

3. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Yesterday, we celebrated the 243rd birthday of the great Ludwig van Beethoven. And like the much-maligned Kyle Singler, he certainly had his detractors early in his career. It was only through hard work, determination, and certain natural-born intuition that he would he rise above the hate to pioneer the Romantic era of music. Right now, we are witnessing a similar revolution as Kyle Singler continues to help pioneer a new era of Piston basketball. With every win, the naysayers' agenda against Kyle grows weaker as the Pistons grow stronger.

GO PISTONS!!!

The Panda, linwood, roscoe36 and 2 others like this.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Lets start with the early game flow. We were snake bit to start the game, with a bunch of shots inside not going, and we found ourselves down 6 2 1/2 minutes into the game. But we got things together just fine for a while, but still losing 2 more points to them to be down 8 exactly five minutes later.

THEN, Singler comes into the game. In the next 5 1/2 minutes, we go from 8 down to 21 down. Not competing even.

During that stretch, Singler was causing us to give up points readily. Boston would attack near him, force us to double team, find the open guy for an easy layup or a wide open outside shot. Boston did this over and over and coach would not adjust, just letting them burn us since Singler could not guard anyone out there himself.

Singler then came out of the game. Immediately, our defense was fine, and very soon, we were right back in the game. Boston no longer had Singler in to exploit.

Singler did hit the triple, after we were down 21, so he did finally start to contribute there. In the 2nd half, we managed to hide him just a bit better, but still, Singler was giving up points here and there. Plus his rebounding, exactly zero rebounds in 24 minutes at small forward plus 1 minute at shooting guard, hurt our defensive effort. Rebounding is defense, and the ball did come to Singler lots - only he never had any height to actually garner in the karem. Now, as usual, the guys Singler subbed for, between the 3 averaged 10 rebounds per game, pretty typical. But Singler got none, in not really that many less minutes than our starting front line guys.

To that, Singler added no assists, no blocks, and had one steal but 2 turns.

Singler was minus 6 in all. Not terrible, but that is not helping.

Our front line was solid. Jennings was the shooting hero. Billups did not affect the game all that much. Pope played a lot, and played good solid D when in. Bynum was very minus in short minutes, but I did not see where much of that was his fault really. Kind of ditto for Harrellson though he played more than Bynum.

Coach is failing to make the simple substitution, Harrellson for Drummond, that has a few times in the past several games proven a winner. Why, who knows. But what coach is doing is not optimizing how good this team can be.

With that said, any road win is a good one, and Boston has been beating teams of late, regardless of how bad they look on paper. Plus, critical of coach or not, hey, we also just beat Indiana at their place, with this same flawed setup.

No Stuckey as he recovers from a shoulder injury he suffered in the first half of last game. He did play in the 2nd half of that game, but as I guessed would happen, the shoulder swelled up later.

Jennings used very good judgement on when to take those 3's. And great that he nailed five of them. Smith scored 20, largely by making outside shots, but he also got inside here and there. Drums had a monster double double, and Monroe just had a solid game though nothing to write home about. And always nice to see Pope add to his made 3's total.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Came out flat, sloppy and unfocused.
    Monroe struggles to get back on D and match up with his man.
    Jennings gets on my nerves, but he was THE MAN tonight.
    Dre had a bad game......until you look at the box score! OMG! But something unfortunate is happening......the team (especially Smith and Moose) are starting to leave too much of the rebounding responsibility solely on the 20 year old shoulders of Dre and as a result we're not dominating the glass like we could be......there's no reason why all 3 of those guys shouldn't be logging double-doubles or coming close.
    Billups was the worst player on the court for us tonight, he couldn't do anything right.
    What is Mo's beef with our best perimeter defender KCP?

We've got a tough one on Friday against a much improved Bobcats team. Actually we have a a very tough schedule the rest of the month with games against Hou, @Orl, @Clev and @Wash.....tough, but all winnable and would help get this team on the right track.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    Lee356 likes this.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Mo Cheecks knows how to ruin a fun night of basketball with that late game Drummond substitution nonsense.

I didn't know the Pistons and C's had the same record entering the game. The way people were talking before the game I thought DET must be 5 games up on them.

Jennings hit done crazy shots. He has a big time case of little man's syndrome.

Drummond was awesome tonight. The C's weren't as physical with him as most teams have been. They did a good job of making him defend and think on D.

Tommy Heinsohn killed me by calling Harrelson Hanson one time.

He called Monroe's D oblivious tonight.

KCP is the closest thing the Pistons have to a 3 & D guy. He's played well recently.

I liked Smith's shots tonight for the most part.

Not Will Bynum's best game.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.

Lee356 likes this.
  7. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Showed a lot of heart tonight. I'm as impressed with how the fellas finished as I was disappointed in how they started, and that is saying something.

I'm not going to even address the Singler criticism. The kid is a straight up player. He missed a couple of really tough shots, with a hand in his face, which he HAD to take. He didn't have a great game. I still take him on my team any day of the week.

KCP is a defensive STUD. Every game he impresses me more and more. If he doesn't make the All-NBA defensive team at least a few times, then I don't know what to tell you. He was killing Crawford tonight. Crawford's night was saved by the zebras.

Josh Smith is better than Jeff Green, at any position. It was comedy. Josh Smith is also brilliant and frustrating. Watch the last 2-3 minutes of the 3rd quarter. It was everything great and frustrating about Josh, mostly great.

Brandon Jennings was a straight up killer tonight. He OWNED Bradley tonight, and Bradley was defending him tough. He, Josh, and Dre won this game tonight.

Greg Monroe was workmanlike today. He has been most nights this year. He's been feeling more like Buck Williams than a potential franchise big man, except for his numbers aren't as good as Buck's. He should have been killing Bass, Sullinger, and Humphries, but he was just okay. It bears watching.

Great, tough win by the boys tonight. They look like they might be gelling.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Make no mistake, I don't believe we're good yet. But we are better. My gosh, last year we wouldn't be in this situation. We'd be probably 7 or 8 games under .500, maybe worse.

It takes a few years to put a contender together. We're moving in the direction of being a playoff team. Then we will need to get some playoff experience. And then we can try to compete at the highest level in this league (top 4). Enjoy the ride. You all remember well how miserable it is wallowing at the bottom year after year.

Walter likes this.
  9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The guy coaching Boston called a play where the guy guarded by Monroe should run a iso, no matter who. It's the first time I've seen Brandon Bass getting the final shot without a play breaking down.

I think Josh Smith could become one of my favorite Pistons if he'd get enough minutes at the 4.

Not sure we have the same definition of "very tough". A gimme + Houston at home and I have a hard time coming up with a softer road trip.

basketbills likes this.
  10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Celtics blog gives credit to Brandon Jennings:

Celtics fall in a hard-fought contest, 107-106 - CelticsBlog

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Celtics play by play man Mike Gorman summed up Josh Smith perfectly. It goes for Jennings as well.

"He can keep both teams in the game."

The Panda, LA Dre, raxrets and 4 others like this.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

At this point, I find myself staring at pope on egret defensive possession. He's the most effective perimeter defender since afflalo... and probably stickier. He also showed some aggression inside the 3 point line on offense, even though he had a hard time finishing.

On the game strategy, I really didn't like our failure to take advantage of the obvious 2 for 1 situation when up 1 with about 40 seconds.

basketbills likes this.
  13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

[​IMG]

14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Snowy?

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I typed that on tapatalk you mormons.

dba, linwood and Slippy like this.
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Don't forget the league hates everything Piston, don't ever not believe that !
    As soon as they think we dominate they'll cheat against us.

17. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I actually got to watch most of the game last night, and there were a few things I liked and didn't like.

First off, the Pistons started pretty terribly. The starting unit got down by 9 in the first half of the first. Coach brought in Chauncey for Pope, and they shaved a point off that deficit. Then he brought in Singler for Drummond, and over the next two minutes they shaved another 2 points off that deficit.

Then he brought in Harrelson for Monroe and Bynum for Jennings, leaving a lineup of Bynum/Billups/Singler/Smith/Harrelson vs. Bradley/Crawford/Wallace/Humphries/Sullinger. Boston ends the quarter on a 16-3 run, and who gets blamed by our fearless write-up masters? Singler, of course, even though it was the PG Bradley (8) and SG Crawford (4) that scored the majority of those points (Wallace - Singler's man - only had two of those points, and that was on an offensive rebound/putback). Singler had a turnover and missed a shot, but he's not the one responsible for directing an offense that managed to get no shot at the basket closer than 20 feet.

In the second quarter the Pistons started chipping away at the lead, starting with some small ball (Jennings/Billups/Singler/Pope/Drummond) and finishing with a 20-11 run to cut the lead to 11 by halftime.

The second half was pretty much all Pistons, and that was awesome to see. They were down by 21 early in the second, yet went on to take a 7 point lead with three minutes left in the fourth before almost choking it away. Now, I could get all up-in-arms about how the Pistons almost lost to another bad team, but the fact remains that they beat that team after being down by 20. Regardless, they won a game that bad teams don't win, and Boston lost a game that good teams don't lose. That's a great feeling as a fan. I could get upset about Jennings only going 9-21 on the night, but the fact remains that he hit 5-8 from the arc and ended up with 23 points off of those 21 FG attempts (plus 5-6 FTs), and he had 14 assists, with some nifty ones like the dish to an open Singler under the basket. There are lots of little things that show me that this team isn't perfect, but I'm starting to warm up to the idea that Cheeks may, in fact, know what he's doing, and that the team is managing to get things done in spite of those imperfections.

I choose, instead, to notice that KCP held Crawford to 1-6 shooting in 20 minutes of guarding him. Drummond was a very efficient 7-11 shooting (no missed FTs!) with 16 rebounds (8 offensive!). Monroe's defense and free throw shooting weren't great, but he wasn't terrible offensively, either. And the team did miss Stuckey, especially *gulp* his defense.

This is a terrible conference, but the Pistons appear to be gelling - in spite of their flaws - and their matchup with Boston last night would be a round 1 preview in the playoffs. The fact that they have beaten both of the best teams in the East so far this season is a good sign, as is the fact that their defense appears to be improving (their opp. 3p% is down to a reasonable level). They mitigate their poor shooting by being the best offensive rebounding team in the league, which kind of makes Andre Drummond into one of the most important players in the NBA (he has 140 offensive rebounds, while the next highest is DeAndre Jordan with 110). They're definitely not elite yet, but give them a little more time to gel, give Jennings a little more time to feel out being a good distributor (he's currently 7th in the league in APG), give KCP more time to find his shot (he's getting there), and let them get healthy, and this is a team that could make some noise in the playoffs.

Lee356, The Panda, roscoe36 and 4 others like this.
  18. linwood

linwood All-Star

Excellent wing defender.

I'll show myself out.

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good outside player maybe, but I have never seen him go inside once.

J-Train and linwood like this.
  20. George_athens

George_athens Second Round Draft Pick

Hello everyone! Great victory yesterday, i watched the hole game.
    I was reading about all theese trade rumors and I found a post involving Pistons and Wizards.
    It was saying for a trade: Charlie V., Bynum and Monroe for Trevor Ariza, Potter and Al Harrington!
    Does anybody know something or is just rumors?

George, Athens