Home Boston Celtics Sunday, November 03, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I say sit JJ for a spell...let him watch and learn. Too many guards on this team, so gob
    Well lets hope it doesn't affect him the way it did Prince Fielder....
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yeah, upon watching the 2nd time, I saw the same thing to an extent. But I also saw him being a very effective small forward in this game, one who while he could not handle an opposing big on his own, was big enough to guard an opposing big with guys like Drummond and Smith watching his back. Actually worked pretty good. Now, Singler did some nice things in this game, so the day JJ takes Singler's minutes may not be at hand - but I think we will be a better team if JJ got all of Singler's minutes at small forward - while we added Mitchell at power forward.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I watched the game a 2nd time. I looked for ball handling for one, and studied Singler's and JJ's play. Plus I was paying attention to the specifics of the plays, like where was Monroe standing while Drummond was setting a pick to get Bynum free in the middle to get Drummond a free path to the basket. But I don't like to get into things that specific. I like to diagram plays from the tape of the game, but I don't think its appropriate to put such detail out here in this forum.

Anyway, some observations: Bynum was well plus for the game. Him and Billups ran as a duo point. Billups was the floor general, setting up everyone in precisely the right place. Bynum did some of the actual ball handling though at the beginning of those plays. Its kind of like using Billups' brain and Bynum's feet. Bynum's defense leaves a lot to be desired though, as the other team routinely shoots over him, and they don't even have to expend energy designing plays to run Bynum off with a pick. They simply ignore his presence & shoot over him. I don't like that. Further, in the odd defensive situations, where he gets put on somebody else on a switch, scramble, or whatever, then he is completely insignificant to the play. (In contrast, Stuckey certainly adds to our interior D.)

Smith handles the ball extremely well, and the one thing he does the best is smoothly drive the ball thru the defense for the score. Yeah, you can see where the smoothe comes from in JSmoothe. But, as I mentioned in my report, he had some problems with handling the ball in this game. Those problems came in general situations involved in passing the ball, not while he was driving in.

Billups is just as slick as ever driving and making the right pass. We still though do not see him actually scoring inside himself. He obviously will have to start doing that to keep his passing game effective. (He can't let them forget about checking him.) He did hit a midranger in this one.

I noticed Smith scored off a handoff to him in the highpost. I did not talley that as a post move score the first time I watched the game.

In all, we took a lot less outside shots in this one compared to last game. Probably the coach said something about not enough effort being made to get the ball inside.Going back to our last championship, hey, Brown forced the team into using as much of the shot clock as possible to find a way to get the ball inside. His thing, if there was five or more seconds left, keep trying to get the ball inside. Hey, it worked that year. (But there is a competing theory, that Carlisle would have also got us to a championship that year, by totally unleashing Billups, including a ton of 3's by comparison to what Brown let Billups shoot. Since Carlisle later proved he could take a good solid vet team and win a championship with it, I myself go by this theory - loved what Brown did in this regard, but I believe there is more that one way to play winning basketball.)

Concerning the play of Singler and JJ. They can not guard NBA forwards none too well. However, there shortcomings look not as great when Drummond is in backing them up. And if Smith is sitting too, real bad. Defensively, the Monroe / Singler / JJ front line does not work. And it does not work on offense either, because Singler and JJ do not get enough defensive respect. They do not shoot well enough from outside, and they are not big enough to do consistent damage inside. Which means the other team can concentrate on Monroe.

But all that lead did not go away just because of that front line. Actually, I don't think either of JJ nor Singler was minus much for the game. The problem was the backcourt pairing of Stuckey and Jennings. Mayge they could co - exist if Stuckey handled the ball and Jennings acted as the spot up shooter. As is, they both do the same thing, drive in. Jennings needs somebody who can spot up shoot for him, to draw off a defender so the pick and rolls could have a chance to work. However, this is little more than theory, since other than the 4th quarter, these two did not get to play with our front line in tact. (instead, they were working with JJ an Singler).

Like I said in my first report on the game, we just used the Jennings, Billups pairing for two minutes. We did well. I did not relook at that bit of the game just now. It will be quite interesting to see who starts next game. With Jennings starting most likely, coach has a choice of which way to go. One thing for sure, if he goes with Billups and Jennings, it will be a pretty much totally unscouted pairing. (which would mean a Stuckey, Bynum backcourt which will probably never work, as it has never over the past 3 years.)

I want to mention our defense, with Jennings, Stuckey, Smith, Monroe, and Drummond in the game. Pretty darn solid. During the last five minutes of this game, crunch time, a whole lot of good defensive plays were made. By pretty much everyone out there, including Singler in the last two minutes after he replaced Drummond. And I want to specifically note just how good Smith is on defense, and rebounding. They guy is just all over the place, and brings a lot of experience with height and strength to address any defensive situation he comes upon.

And another oddity. You know how much we hate it when an illadvised triple leads to a fast break for the other team? Well, Smith may have taken some ill adivised three's, but hey, there were no fast breaks off the misses. Indeed, one was slammed right back in by Drummond - and another was slammed back in by Drummond a few seconds after we got the rebound and got the pass to him.

And one last thing. Drummond continues to get the ball knocked away, and to us. Hey, sure, he has not lately stole the ball from a guard and went down and dunked it himself. But his knockaways have led to fast break scores for us. A couple in this game.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    BillLaimbeer, Walter and Slippy like this.