Home Boston Celtics Sunday, November 03, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

So far Detroit leads the lead in turnover% forced and is in the top half of the league in FG% (.473/6th), ORBpg (14/4th), and Blocks/game (5.7/T-11th). It's very early and there will eventually be some regression, but I like seeing that they're generating turnovers. They're moving the ball around, Stuckey is playing better than he has in awhile, and Jennings looked good in the second half after getting reacquainted with his team at game speed. This is clearly a very talented team.

As excited as I want to get about this team, though, I have to remind myself that Detroit's has played the easiest schedule in the league so far, as their opponents are currently have a combined 1-8 record and their only win (Memphis) is against Detroit itself. Washington has no size, Boston is in shambles, and Memphis is sporting a new coach. Smith is showing his frustrating high 3PA/low 3PFG tendency. Drummond is still an embarrassingly bad free throw shooter, and Monroe still struggles converting at the rim. It's certainly still very early in the season, but I'm not comfortable with where this team is at yet.
    Lee356, LA Dre and linwood like this.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think with Stuckey and Jennings back healthy, we can continue to pressure the ball.
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I remember that season. I also remember that when Tay finally came back, JJ was forced to slide to PF. After a while he was just assumed to be a PF. It is one thing for a casual fan to remember the hustle and value he brought at the 3, and vaguely remember that he is a PF, and wonder why it's not working. It is quite another thing for a coaching staff to have that foggy of an assessment of a player on their roster.

But, it wasn't just being overmatched. He was just very sloppy. He just threw the ball away several times. It was as if his head just wasn't in the game.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

BIG win over the NBDL's Boston Celtics last night.
    Some observations from this game:
    • Singleton & Chris Jerebko's kid should never be on the floor together. There's a reason why teams use different players of varying sizes and skill sets to field a complimentary lineup.
    • I really think Dre needs to yell "I CARLY" every time he throws one down. He can make this phrase his own dunk-xclamation point!
    • Greg Monroe would lead the league in FT attempts if players were allowed to call their own fouls.
    • Brandon Jennings' speed is a good compliment to Chauncey's methodical pace. They should sub for each other not play together.
    • I just read the boxscore and saw that Rodney was +/- zero for the night. While watching this game, it seemed like he was -30. In the 2nd and 3rd quarters, Stuck would check into the game and the Piston lead would dwindle. He's had a couple nice and-1's and a nice turnaround jumper against Memphis; let's use these highlights to enhance "trade value" ...NOW.
    • On a related note - Free KCP!!!! I really thought that Mo was building something special in this kid. ...oh well.
    • I don't mind Josh Smith taking a few threes and trying to stretch the floor. It's WHEN he takes them that needs to be addressed. He's got no reason to jack one up with more than 15 sec on the shot clock. Last time I checked, he ain't no Steph Curry.
    • The interior passing of our bigs is fun to watch. Dre and Josh are going to get a lot of easy dunks this year (Monroe will get a lot of easy layups).
    • Brandon Jennings made a bounce pass to Josh Smith in the 3rd Q that I haven't seen a Piston make since Zeke. It was a 1/2 court bounce pass that hit Josh in stride (I think Josh ended up getting fouled or something anticlimactic like that).
    • Kelly Olynyk makes Greg Monroe look like 'Nique Wilkins.
    • Danny Ainge had the goal of executing a team teardown in order to execute a rebuild. Mission accomplished Dan! ...Your team sucks.
      IMO - all other tanking teams are playing for the 2nd pick.
  5. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Does Dre and I Carly really have something going on? I'm so out of the loop.
  6. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Before we rip Cheeks so much about those rotations, he is a new coach that now suddenly is getting past starters back from injury. Those line-ups with JJ / Singler were retched, but hopefully Cheeks recognizes this and never uses them again. So far I have been impressed with his fluidity. Cheeks is not afraid to sub guys in and out during non traditional point in the game as the matchups / flow dictate. Like yesterday Billups / Bynum - the starting back court - sat in the 4th as Jennings + Stuckey combo was regaining the lead. This to me signifies that Cheeks is not set on his guards yet and is still searching for the right combinations. If they were set then one must believe the starters would be back to end the game.
    Lee356 likes this.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

No team that we have played has a single win over another NBA team. Definitely noted.

I think Mo is afraid to cramp J Schmoove's style. He likes the rest of his game and knows he's difficult to deal with. He's taking the bad with the good and not risking blowing up an overall net positive thing.
  8. roscoe36

After 3 games, I am doing my best not to draw any conclusions beyond the fact that Andre Drummond is going to be amazing in another year or so.
  9. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Anyone else notice that Olynyk looks like a member of the Hansons? Has anyone even seen any of the Hansons in 10 years? Hmm...

This is a possibility. I haven't seen a lot of set offenses - I was assuming that this is because he wants the players to learn to use their instincts and talents, to learn each others' tendencies. He doesn't seem like a particularly controlling coach, and I would think that having talented players that have to gel together can best create this chemistry by playing trial and error for a month or two rather than being shoehorned through the process. If that's what this is, then it's only going to work if he has the talent and good on-court veteran leadership, and I think he has that.

But then again, it could be laziness and a fear of dealing with his talent. If that's the case, then the team is screwed.
  10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

He's dating the sidekick of the main charactor (Carly?) from that show.
    She's a cutie (see my avatar).
  11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I wanted to see what the Celtics fans thought about Olynyk. This is from celticsblog:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  12. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

Monroe would've gotten those 20+ points if it weren't for Drummond playing almost 40 minutes. He's getting a lot more minutes than I expected - not that I'm complaining.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

The three of them just wear folks down, a friend of mine stated that we're like a football team with an unstoppable run game. You know it's coming, but you simply can't stop it. A few minutes later Kelser said the same thing in the broadcast.[KGREG]
    I love when announcers can see/feel the game and every ones on the same page.
    Let's give our new coach 1 mo. to set his rotations. Then sit down on them until they work or sadly don't work. I don't think these guys can learn tendencies if they are constantly rotating !
  14. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I'm happy the teams is 2-1. I'm not going to go into too much depth. It's still early and I save my rants for live Tweets during the game... :)
    I don't like the turnovers, but with a new coach, game plan, and a merry-go-round of PG's it's to be expected. I love how the "big" 3 are dominating the paint. I'm just going to sit back and hope the minor things I don't care for get handled sooner rather than later.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  15. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

As the rest of you guys, I like the pounding game of the front 3.

I'm starting to come around on the Jennings trade!

I hope Mo hasn't shut down KCP for the season.

If our front trio is a Hydra, then our open three pump fakers are a Medusa, everytime we cut the head of one of those open three pump fakers another one grows out. If it isn't Daye, it's Tay and if it sin't Tay, it's JJ. He should be pulled instantly after every open three pump fake.

That Boston roster is a sad sight. Not sure they have a single player that is top 20 in their position except for Jeff Green. For the first 5 minutes I thought Jorts started for the Celtics but it turned out to be some undrafted brazilian guy without upside.
  16. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Well, I now realize the Medusa and Hydra stuff don't make sense. That's what makes this team so amazing! That and that the edit functionality is gone.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  17. roscoe36

It's on a timer.
    kpaav likes this.
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Dude you gotta work in : Kracken, Plegasus, Mercury, Rodan all the Greek super heroes !
  19. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Don't forget Calibos AKA Robert Parrish...

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Why don't we argue about who should pass the ball inbounds?

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.