Home Boston Celtics Sunday, November 03, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Clearly Cheeks was experimenting, seeing as how Stuckey and Jennings missed the entire preseason he was trying to see what he had. We still don't have a guard rotation and quite frankly I'd hate to be the coach. Contrary to the belief of some folks around here, ALL % guards have played pretty good basketball and have shown why they deserve to either start or be in the rotation.

• Jennings is definitely going to start at PG,
    • But Will has played pretty darn good too.
    • Billups has done everything needed and asked of him, he seems to be able to keep the team under control.
    • KCP is legit and seems to be able to put double figures on the board no matter what.
    • Stuckey has even played well, especially on defense; I've never seen him fight through screens off the ball like he's been doing as of late.

So far through three games this frontline is as advertised......holy smokes! The three of them just wear folks down, a friend of mine stated that we're like a football team with an unstoppable run game. You know it's coming, but you simply can't stop it. A few minutes later Kelser said the same thing in the broadcast.

We need to cut down on turnovers, but once we settle down and this team develops more familiarity with each other.....WATCH OUT!!!!

raw36, TaS, brofmfa and 1 other person like this.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

In terms of rotation, the frontline of Drummond, Singler and JJ was/is a disaster. That lineup only works with Will Bynum, because it allows him to do his thing and he has a knack for getting that unit shots....but when it isn't working, and for the record it does NOT work on a consistent basis- disaster. I think it's going to be critical to have Smith or Monroe on the floor at all times, we cannot have them sitting on the bench next to each other....unless they're injured or in foul trouble.

brofmfa likes this.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Indiana will provide a GREAT test on Tuesday. Although the Billups/Stephenson matchup concerns me.

4. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I love Josh Smith and I love what he does. But seriously, this guy has to stop shooting so many 3's. I'm happy for him to pop a pair or maybe 3 a game, but he should never ever be letting 5+ fly a game.

Turnovers are a chemistry issue for me, they should slow down after a few more games.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I agree, but he's not a perfect player, if that's his flaw that we have to live with.....so be it. I just hope him AND Jennings don't get three happy together.

6. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That Dre, JJ, Singler line up is disgustingly bad. We need to not do that again. Absolutely no go to scorer on the floor, especially with an uber-rusty Jennings.

Jennings looked good, and was happy to be on the floor, you could tell. Maybe this over abundance of guards will be good for competition and bring out the best in everyone.

Dre is a monster on the boards. Monroe needs to get a 13 foot jump shot, or his only threat is with his back to the basket. Josh Smith needs to not shoot so many threes, but instead crash, crash, crash. Stuckey needs to do the same. Will Bynum took 2 three pointers, WHY would he ever think to do that.

Lee356 likes this.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was shocked that he went with the lineup so long...guess he was biding time and resting the others, but you still Pope had already proven he could run with a good team, so he should have put him in there to play some D to stop the C's from scoring while we were trying to figure out how to score. Lets hope he doesn't try that line up vs the Pacers or Thunder...

8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

We don't have to live with it. It's a flaw that most certainly can be fixed. He is not a great 3-baller -- no matter if he thinks so. This guy is making a ton of money. He can modify his game.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Cheeks sitting Drummond at the end of the game pissed me off. Prior to that I was ready to sing his praises for the job he was doing.

The Pistons have an identity. I love their offense going through Smith or Monroe down low constantly. They're playing to their strength.

I also like the short rotation Cheeks has been using even if I don't agree with everyone he's playing.

Lastly, I like the short rests he's giving guys.

I think Jennings is going to be a great fit with this team. They need a scoring, shoot first guard to go along with their big guys.

Drummond played major minutes tonight.

The play was so sloppy in the 3rd that it looked like they were recreating the scene from the Basketball Diaries when they mixed the uppers with the downers for parts of it.

Aside from Drummond sitting this game didn't bother me at all. I never felt like the Pistons were going to lose.

This team will normalize now that Jennings is back. Bynum will go back to the bench, hopefully Singler will perk up a little and Stuckey will be out of the rotation in 2 weeks.

I like those unis, they look like the National team.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

We're 3 games in and people are grumbling about the 3's. Jennings has barely played and we're lamenting his shot selection.

I like that these guys are taking chances to make some plays.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.

coynejeremy and roscoe36 like this.
  11. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I liked your whole post but this line especially.

As far as grumbling about Smith's 3s, I'm avoiding the rush and complaining early.

linwood and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  12. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

This felt like a sloppy preseason game. Lost of turnovers, players not familiar with each other, ugly.

Smith shoots too many threes and Jennings has a difficult time converting layups... we knew this going in, and it sucks. Smith can't go 0-4 on threes with 6 TOs on a regular basis if the team wants to remain competitive. The reason the Pistons won tonight was because Boston couldn't shoot the ball in the first half.

That being said, I do like the Pistons' half-court offense. The Pacers game coming up will be a huge test, but the spacing issues appear to be overblown - the Hydra does a great job of working the ball around the post.

raxrets likes this.
  13. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

here you have coined the nickname... lets pray the Hydra wont spit so much from further distance...one of heads is especially avid for "marksman spitting"

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Smith took 3-pointers, but none of them were bad attempts. In at least 2 of them he was wide open and he should've taken that shot.

Coach needs to sit Jerebko until JJ figures it out. He was awful out there today. He is redundant with Singler at the backup SF spot in my book. Give the Pizza Guy a shot instead.

No Pope today. Too bad. The way Collider has played in these last two games, I would love to see a second unit backcourt of Stuckey & Pope. We'd need that good perimeter defense when Smith and/or Dre take a breather. Stuckey-Pope-Singler-Pizza Guy-Moose/Dre would be my backup unit of choice.

This game could've been a blowout if our guys took it a little more seriously. Boston is a terrible team. They don't need to purposefully tank; they'll get a high-lottery pick just because they are so awful.

15. hitafreethrow

I agree on the two three pointers, but when he is so good at attacking the rim, I'd rather see him do that that settle for the 22 footer over a defender. He has distinct advantages over smaller, weaker 3's, and quicker footwork than many 4's on the floor...attack attack attack.

As for the JJ/Singler thing, couldn't agree more. Their games are so similar, yet Singler seems to be so much more comfortable on the floor. What happened to JJ? He seems lost out there, and his defense has been horrendous.

16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Just thinking outloud, is it possible that JJ can't handle being a role player.... He seems to handle being the man on his national team. He doesn't have the talent to be the man in the NBA, and until he can make the adjustment to being a role player here he's never going to be successful.

Nemo likes this.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

I don't think he has the skills to overcome his tweener status in the NBA. He isn't quick enough to separate from the pack at the 3 and doesn't shoot good enough to have an advantage at the 4.

You could see him getting pushed around at the 4 last night.

Cheeks mentioned last night that he may try KCP as a backup 3 to get him on the floor. (At least until Stuckey plays himself out of the rotation.)

18. hitafreethrow

As I'm watching the game last night...I thought to myself "We are thin at three"...then I thought "Can KCP play the three?" Is he strong enough to match up against some of the second string three's (I think he is). He certainly has the defensive tenacity and the length.

basketbills likes this.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Pushed around does not describe it quite well enough. Lets say this, for all the good JJ was doing, a 2nd grader could have taken his place and it would not make a difference at all as far as where the opposing bigs went, or what they did.

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Actually, JJ has mostly been playing at power forward, along side Singler at small forward. Just a bit though, JJ has played small forward, along with two of (Monroe, Smith, Drummond). During these brief times, JJ has looked fine. I will repeat once again, when people started liking JJ, it was as a small forward. He started much of a season for us at small forward, when Tay was injured. He is a bit slow as a small forward, but at least he does not get pushed around there. No, I would not suggest him even being on the team, but I would rather have him vs. Singler at small forward. JJ is the bigger, tougher player. Now, notice, Singler did make two clutch free throws yesterday, and did block that 3 in the corner. He does good things. But in general, as a small forward, he is both outquicked, and out muscled.