Away Boston Celtics Sunday, March 09, 2014

Discussion in 'March 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

@ Boston Celtics

Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 6:00 PM Eastern

TD Garden, Boston, MA

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit
    NATIONAL TV: NBATV

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!
  2. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Wow...soooo many weak teams in the East.
    We play at their home though.
    I suspect that we'll win or lose this one.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We are just 2 games out of the last playoff spot, since Atlanta is losing every game of late. Still not time to lose interest in our Pistons. Still not too late for Gores to find a new GM, and a new coach. With any halfway capable coach, we should be able to make the playoffs.
  4. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know if I should root for Boston or Detroit!!! This middle of the disaster zone madness needs to stop.
    del and roscoe36 like this.
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

This is an important loss. The next game with Sacramento is also important. The Pistons are in danger of losing the draft pick. Yes, this wasn't suppose to be a lottery year, but not having that pick top ten protected will be a blemish on the franchise--possibly as big a blemish as the Darko pick.

The team sorely needs to upgrade at the guard positions and the draft could bring in a player on the cheap. Even a small forward to provide flexibility in the rotation would be welcomed.

The Pistons play basically two types of games. One game where the bigs more than hold their own if not dominate only to see the guards give the game back or away. Other games, the bigs are met by a good front line and, of course, the guards can't make up any difference.

Sorry, I am not impressed by Bynum's 4th quarter. Yes, he got to the line--for himself. He is not a point guard. And he is not good enough to win many games at all taking it on his own as he did. Bynum can come in and change the pace of a game for a few minutes to throw the opposition off balance. I doubt he would get quality minutes around the league however.

Jennings has given up on his shot for the time being it seems. On one play in the 4th, you could see again Jennings and Josh pass the ball back to each other on the perimeter with Josh taking the jumper. This happens too often. The Pistons, with a big front line, need a guard who can score when the lane gets packed and who can hit threes regularly. You wonder again how much film Joe watched of Jennings. It is unreal, for example, that he cannot finish with his right hand. He is a step above rookie level in his play and a second tier guard this year. I would move him to the second unit next year and make him earn a starting position.

Stuckey does not fit on this team. He cannot help in the 4th quarter when teams pack the lane as he drives into the teeth of the defense where you want the Piston bigs to operate. This is a mess. It is not the big front line but the guards and lack of shooting around them that is the problem. I have always been a Joe fan but this falls on Joe and I hope the Pistons are not embarassed by losing the draft pick.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I attended the Clippers/Hawks game last night and cheered on the Clippers to an almost certain guaranteed Hawks loss, to give the Pistons a shot to get within two games.......well if you have league pass or saw the highlights, you know that the Hawks played their best game in weeks only to lose by one.

The Pistons had ample time to see that Hawks loss last night and turn it into a positive. After all we had already beaten the Celtics twice this season... But alas no defense, no win, and no gain for the Pistons.

As the Celtic announcer Mike Gorman said at the end of the game..."the Pistons had 62 points in the paint, 23 second choice points, 18 fast break points, a +15 in rebounds and 39 FTA.....and they still lose???? Why you say? 16 turnovers and lack of depth on the bench.... The C's bench outscored ours 40-21....including letting the rookie Olynk get off for 18-6...., and then allowing the Celtics get off 31 beyond the arc shots on our poor perimeter defense in which 10 of them connected. Since we have worst for and against three point offense/defense in the league most of our games are lost on that stat alone.

Not singling anyone out at this point because despite some of the Pistons putting up stellar double-double stats over the past week, the defense has given up an average of 112 points the past three losses. The last time the Pistons won was when they gave up only 85 points to the tanking Knicks. Prior to that, it was 118 points to the Rockets and 120 to the Spurs.

The Celtics scored their highest total points of the season with 118 pts on 38 assists.

I tell you this team is trying to ruin the 25th anniversary 1989 Bad Boy celebration by trying to get Joe fired before then.

We are still stuck in the middle of the disaster zone 3 games out of the playoffs........but maybe a little closer to the 8th tank spot.
    Lee356 likes this.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Lets see what Singler did. 3 rebounds. Twice, after rebounding, he traveled. Hmm. 2 for 7 shooting, made some free throws.

He was just minus 2. But how was he minus when the guys around him did so well? Drummond, who the coach chose not to play in crunch time by the way since he wanted so badly to play Singler so that the other team could get a key rebound on us and also since he wanted so desperately to leave the hoop open for them, but I digress, had 22 rebounds and 18 points when the coach decided to leave him out of crunch time. For Singler. Who did absolutely nothing in this game. Other than force us into playing zone to hide Singler.

Supposedly, we play Singler to have better perimeter defense. But we had none in this game even though Singler played the vast majority of it.

Oh, lets get back to how bad the rest of our starters did. As I am sure someone is trying desperately to explain how Singler was negative based upon the poor play of the other starters. Hmm, must be Smith, right? Nope. Smith had a fairly brilliant game, even hitting his outside shots in this one. How about a 28/11 game. So, maybe it was Monroe stinking it up out there. Nope. Monroe came up with a 22/14 game. Jennings, he got 7 assists to just one turn, and scored 14 on 13 shots. And hey, I give credit primarily to the point for making sure the ball kept going inside.

So, to sum it up, here are the stat lines of those who played on our front line most of the night. Lets see if you can pick out Singler's stat line. First one, 22/14. Second one, 28/11. 3rd one 8/3. and 4th one, 18/22.

If you picked door number 3, you got it right. It is a total joke that Singler is any part of any NBA front line, ever.

Bynum did score. But at times, it was absolutely horrid to watch, knowing, and knowing everyone on the floor knew, that Bynum was going to take the ball in himself. Kind of negates any of the good Jennings does toward distributing the ball. I see Siva is out with an injured ankle. And last coach got promptly fired for benching Bynum, so I guess you can't fault the coach for playing the guy. Especially in crunch time.

Did not watch the presser. I suppose the coach will make up excuses such as how can a team shoot so hot. (Like, if you do not guard them, what do you expect. It took this genius of a coach most of the game before he decided, oh, maybe we better change how we are playing the pick and pop.)

Another coaching loss. Yet another missed opportunity to get back into the playoff hunt. An owner who pretends to care a bit, but if if he is not changing GM's, and coaches, like by tomorrow, we all know he really does not care at all about providing a decent team for us fans to watch.

I should mention the 3 minutes that Pope played. You see, we have a completely clueless coach who apparently thinks the following unit is acceptable, even outside of junior high level: Bynum, at point, who has no clue how to be a point, with Stuckey in at shooting guard though Stuckey can't shoot an outside shot to save his life most nights, Pope at small forward who has no business being there at all since he is not big or tall enough for the position, JJ who is way too slight to play power forward, and well, it does not matter who you put in at center with that group, does it?
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Good games from Andre, Josh and Greg....but it's hard to win games in this League without a 4th quality big.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

...and at least 1.5 super quality guards......
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I wonder how many teams season high for a quarter have come against the Pistons?

I liked how they took Drummond out with 6 minutes to go when he was sitting on 18 and 22. Most teams would have been trying to get their guys to a 20 and 20.

The Celts were picking the Pistons apart with ball movement while the Pistons had Jennings coming down shooting 35' fadeaways.

I'd rather the Pistons lose their draft pick them watch them in the playoffs.

The Pistons need a good, aggressive shoot first guard to go with shooters at the 2 and 3.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Siva/ Pope/ Smith hasn't been tried yet.
  12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just can't defend anybody. A CYA all star team could score consistently against these guys.
  13. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I...can't...take...this...any...more...
    Susie914 likes this.
  14. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I hear ya Walter and feel the exact same same........