Home Boston Celtics Sunday Feb 19 2012

Discussion in 'February 2012' started by roscoe36, Feb 13, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Feb 19, 2012.
  1. Detroit

58.8%
  2. Boston

41.2%
  1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Huh? Darth picked the Celtics.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Darth Tater Picked the Celtics............that's money.
  3. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Lol. Can't believe what is going on here!
  4. raxrets

raxrets Starter

C's are totally off and Pistons are running lika a mad
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

The feel good game of the year! Ok maybe not but it has a nice ring to it. The cool part about this game is the collegiate feeling from the team. The esprit de corps is akin to March Madness.
    We played good defense. Blaha and K were talking about an identity. We have a very scrappy, constantly harassing defense that gets turn-overs. We don;t have a shot blocker to funnel the defense to so if we don't disrupt the O or poke the ball away, we kinda get scored on.

Stuckey: Super Collider was in full effect. 12-15 free throws. Boston made 11-15. 4 steals. Boston had 6.

Monroe: He's not getting the same easy buckets off offensive rebounds but that may be a good thing.

Knight: Had two sweet passes. 1 turned into an assist and another into free throws.

Wallace/ Maxiell: these guys are making plays. They may not be all-stars but the plays they make go a long way to this team winning.

Daye: All the scrubs got in except Daye. Doghouse?
    alexa032 likes this.
  6. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Maxiell scores exactly six again. Six straight games.

And yes, I'm going to keep pointing this out until he stops.
    BallDon'tLie and roscoe36 like this.
  7. BillLaimbeer

Daye didn't even dress tonight.

When you're healthy and get 2 consecutive DNP-Coach's Decisions, then you may be in the doghouse.

When you're healthy and you do not even dress, you are definitely in the doghouse.

[​IMG]
  8. Nemo

I guess Stuckey was 2 of 10 shooting, and only had 1 assist...
    He does seem to have the collider effect down pat...as he was 12-15 with FTs...........
    Are those good stats.??? Well.......we did win.
  9. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Not the prettiest game out there, this one. Neither offense looked particularly fluid, but this game was won on the defensive end, just like old times eh? Low scoring, grind it out basketball for the most part. The key to the win was points off turnovers, rebounding and second chance points all going the Pistons' way.

As Slippy pointed out, Super Collider is back, shooting only 20% from the field but getting a boat load of free throws.

Brandon was ok, he made some nice passes inside that turned into free throws instead of made shots. Made two threes early then went quiet and didn't attempt another for the rest of the game.

Greg needs to stop saying and one after every shot at the rim, seriously. They all seem to end up being misses.

Tayshaun played too much isolayshaun basketball. Was surprised to see the guards pass the ball to him to let him initiate the offense - very often to go one on one. Made for some ugly basketball; good offensive rebounding and putbacks saved us there.

BG seems to really get up for the Celtics, but didn't force anything and took it inside more often than usual.

Maxie and Big Ben were good.

JJ played well, getting a bunch of putbacks and getting to the foul line. Got a nice feed on the break from BK, would've made a nice highlight if he'd made that.

Austin Daye is most definitely in the dog house. Frank doesn't seem to be the type to arbitrarily bench people for no good reason (see Scott Skiles), but Daye hasn't really given his coach a good enough reason for him to get on the floor imo.

Will Bynum looks to have gotten his backup "point guard" role back from Walker D. Played well defensively, poking a few balls away and started fast breaks. Got a tad ball hoggy at the end and got pulled.

This game was getting away from the Celtics at halftime before they cut into the lead a bit in the third, hanging in there for the most part before Rondo got ejected and their offense went down the toilet. Was quite surprised to see 3 starters go back in with 4 minutes to go and up 18, was even more surprised to see Knight check in with 2 left up 15. Would've liked for Frank to just sit them the rest of the game which was a blowout with over 7 minutes to go. The team seems to be overachieving a little bit.
    roscoe36 and basketbills like this.
  10. Slippy

He looked like he was in his warm ups.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Point guard. Get the team to take the right shots. Knight oversaw us going to the hoop all night. This game would have been a total laugher if we had just made more free throws. (17 left uncashed) And Monroe should have had a 20-10 if he had not gone 1-7 from the line, ouch. Its been a trend. Monroe was stellar to start the season, but has slipped on his free throw shooting. Now he has hit bottom. Hope he reverses that trend soon. And we are getting that ball consistently into Monroe. Been a long time since the Pistons had a consistent post game. We sure do now. And again, thats kudos to the point guard for that.

Chief scorer from the free throw line - Stuckey. Got to love his style of play. This game he had those drives very much in control - would not change a thing that he did tonight.

Coach. Avoided, and has been avoiding, doing anything for too long to where the other team can exploit us. Good mixture up front. Still would like to see us go bigger by adding Macklin into the lineup, but hey, now we are seeing some JJ and Monroe paired, but its gone before the other team jumps all over us inside. And even JMAX and Big Ben get paired up here and there - just not too long to where our offense stalls out.

Shortening up the rotation in the 2nd half, cutting out Wilkins and going for a bit with a 3 guard rotation to spell Tay. Tay played 37 minutes tonight. Too much. Again, a win, but Tay won't hold up long with those kind of minutes. JJ can play some small forward, and should. Now, while I am advocating JJ taking over the minutes Wilkins is getting at small forward, I must note Wilkins was out there as we held Boston to just 3 points for about the first half of the 2nd quarter - and Wilkens did some scoring including nailing a triple.

Yes, though I fret about Bynum playing a whole lot of minutes, for a short spell here and there, he is going to give you more scoring than Russel. In all, we are not having much trouble scoring. Indeed, the only time we slowed our scoring pace was to open the 3rd - and we had no real slouches on scoring in there (except maybe Maxiell of course)

Maxiell got 10 boards. He is simply got his timing down a bit better - could be just from playing so many games so close together. He always has thrived on work. (so long its not too long a stretch at a time.) Both he and Big Ben played fairly short minutes, and very effective minutes. In all, very little of the game did not have one or the other to provide strength for our interior D.

Monroe got that one shot blocked - and it seemed strange to see it. Double double by the way even if it was not a 20-10.

Fast breaking. Stuckey and Knight both want desperately to push the ball up. to me, thats another reason to put JJ in at starting small forward. Another highly energetic player to run with our two guards.

Part of good coaching is never letting the other team know what you are going to do next time down. I say coach is doing a good job there as you just don't know who on our side is going to shoot the ball at any given time. I especially liked that triple by Stuckey last game. Knight was driving toward the hoop and the other team seemed pretty sure Knight was going to shoot it. Instead, a nice pass to a wide open Stuckey went a long way toward winning the game right there.

Most hopeless play of the night. Some no-name player of theirs trying to score on Big Ben Wallace. Might as well been an extra wall in front of the guy.

The perimeter rotations were real good. And Frank called a timeout, now, whenever it had any problems.

Next game is at 7 Tuesday, at Philly as the 2nd half of our season starts. One of the teams we could catch for the 3 or 4 spot yet this season. I am thinking like 4 spot, as NY looks to be on a serious role and may join Miami and Chicago as teams we just can't catch this season.
    Walter, alexa032 and Slippy like this.
  12. Slippy

U want him to score less?
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This game was won at the FT line...although the Pistons missed more FT's (17) than the Celtics took (15) ..How else do you explain the Pistons getting 96 pts on only 14 assists and shooting only 38% from the floor. From what I saw when I peeked in on the third qtr, the Pistons were running up and down the floor and were getting fouled each time....way to pile on the points while the clock was not moving...
    Daye yep he must be in the dog house ...3 DNP and 3 straight victories....Frank better avoid showing up in Orlando for all star weekend as Darron Daye is going to rough him due to him sitting his son.

Sitting in the 8th lottery spot now....not good unless they luck up and get in the top 3....5.5 out of the final playoff spot with Celtics slumping and the Knicks Linsurging. Without Lin, the Pistons would have already leaped frog over NY...

So whats the plan?? You just keep playing to win and see what happens. If you are still hovering around the 7-8 lottery spot at the end of March,and more than6 games out of the final playoff spot, then Taynk for April and hope for the best worst!!
    basketbills likes this.
  14. Slippy

Great recap Lee.
  15. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

We probably won't need to Taynk too much. Took a gander at the March schedule and its crazy, it'll take a miracle to be .500 that month, and April isn't much better.

Just saw a replay of Rondo's double technical - Moose landed on top of him. Ouch.
  16. BillLaimbeer

Well, all 12 Piston guys played and Daye wasn't one of them. The NBA only allows you to dress 12 players per game.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

He's just a bad dresser.

The Pistons have developed an identity. I think the Pistons are still a bad defensive team, but they are no longer soft and stupid. Every guy that plays now is physical on D.

Frank has done a tremendous job and I don't just say that on the high of a good stretch only so I can bury him if they start losing again. There is some philosophical symmetry between the Pistons roster and coach and I am starting to believe.

I got to get myself one of those Joe Dumars sweatshirts to watch the games in! (I also love how he keeps his coat on the back of his chair instead of using a hangar.)
  18. Slippy

The box score says Boston played 13 guys. How is that possible?
  19. Nemo

BillLaimbeer made another mistake........:)
    Let me help...........

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2012021908

Truth is....I don't know how many are allowed to dress.
    Boston did play 13....
  20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Boston looked terrible but maybe it was partly from our defense. Bynum looked pretty good....like he is being tutored on defense. He was looking to pass too. He is a lot more talented than WDR on the offensive end so maybe he will flip the switch. The WDR effect. He makes the other players better.