Boston Celtics Jan. 30th, 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 25, 2009.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Tay played???

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Cable Guys

3. detteam

detteam All-Star

Dude needs a message...make him pay.

4. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i don't have many complaints about this game. would've been nice to see AA out there on D but we did an adequate job on them defensively. amir has no basketball IQ. he's a garbage man...but against smarter teams like the celtics he just turns into garbage.

our best lineup ended up being stuck/rip/ai/max and either dice/sheed...we were running, they were tired, we were scoring, they were missing shots. stuck played very well but i thought he could have been even more selfish.

if amir is going to continue putting in these kinds of performances you're betting off starting sheed/max and letting amir take max's role against 2nd units. but i still think max is better suited off the bench and would get too worn down as a starter. we could really use a low-post threat.

overall i'm not disappointed in this game at all. boston is clearly better right now but we played with heart and toughness and showed that we're not as far behind as people think. and thank you maxiell for being a BAD BOY and sticking up for yourself. it was good personally for perkins to get away because i think max would have ripped his arms off. it sucked that boston actually GAINED a point out of it but i don't care. way to be a man.

6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

He may not put fear into the opposing player, but he's a big body that can take up space, will be able to box out the Celts slow big players, and IIRC he's shown he's not afraid to foul hard. He's good at holding his post position on defense and keeping guys away from the basket. It's overlooked. He's physical enough to provide some positive. And he's shown he can step up in a big game. When he played throughout that win streak, he was productive.

I'm not saying start him or even play him 20 minutes. but his size provides something we don't have. He is not going to get out musled by Perkins of Davis.

I want to see Amir in the line-up with Rip/AI/Tay/Sheed. I don't remember if that has ever got significant time. And i think the spacing on the floor will help his and everybody else's game. When you have Amir/AI/Stuck/Tay/Sheed the only outisde threat is Sheed and Stuck/AI are trying to get into the paint and Amir is already in the paint. It's too cluttered. I've accepted with the type of minutes Tay plays he's not going to get 3-point shot back anytime this season.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Since when is getting close an accomplishment?

8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

since now

9. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I found this game to be encouraging. I didn't think we had a snowball's chance in you know where before the game started and during the 1st quarter I continued to think so. Watching our team come alive on the defensive end was just great. I felt like a wandering nomad that just came out of the desert. Still too many easy shots, but I will probably always think that.

I don't like the Dice/Sheed front court at all. I think it should be Sheed or Dice with someone else who has more of a power game. I know Amir keeps making these fouls but I'd rather have Amir or JMax in there with either Dice or Sheed.
    Maxey gets dunks and Amir is a fast defender. I don't like watching all that distance jumpshooting from Sheed and Dice. My God, it's like our whole team is one shooting guard! We need some balance.

Still, this was very very encouraging. Because it looked like the necessary effort was being made, everyone was taking the game seriously and at least trying to play smart. Except for the excessive and unsuccessful jumpshooting addiction.

I said at least ten times tonight "Stuckey is just amazing" in wonderment. That kid is good. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Stuckey come off the bench in the Ginobili role. It seems we have it backwards somehow due to the egos and reputations involved. We didn't give AI much of a shot at point guard and I still think the best starting lineup is: AI/Rip/Tay/Sheed/a true center to be acquired in the near future somehow. LOL.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What did he do? He played 5 minutes and got yanked. At that point, he had 50% of our points and hadn't been scored on. His man, Perkins, scored once on a P & R where Amir took the guard and Tay took Perkins... and got dunked on. So then MC puts Dyess in for 34 consecutive minutes.

Not sure what got MC so riled up about it. If you don't have the confidence to play the guy, then don't name him as the starter for the entire season.

Sheed only got slightly owned by KG (if it would have been Amir who fouled out and gave up 22 to KG, then it would have been classified as "embarrassed").

We gave up 55 points to their Center and Forwards. 2 of those points could have possibly been attributed to Amir if he screwed up his assignment on a P&R.

With all that being said, Max was great on the offensive glass and Dyess was great on the boards overall. The 2 of 15 shooting from Dyess and Tay really hurt us though.

It seems like against Boston, there is always going to be a player or two on Det that just gets shut down.

My only other complaint is the age-old SB complaint. Stuckey got in foul trouble mainly because he was stuck guarding Paul Pierce for a significant stretch of time with AI and Rip in the game with him. Stuck played very well though. It was nice to see some driving against the Celts.

11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The Pistons competed but never looked like they were going to win. Some good signs. But is competing the goal? The Pistons are just not fluid enough on offense or defense to beat Celts.

Observations:

Start Maxiel. He showed he can compete with the top teams now.

Sheed manned up with Garnett.

Dice had 14 boards.

Problem: Pistons bigs could not score. No way to get around that tonight.

AI, Rip and Stuck scored enough.

Problem: Stuckey makes rookie mistakes, AI not a great ball handler and of course neither is Rip. No real 3 ball threat from them.

Not enough guard minutes and that is with Afflalo getting none.

Tay cannot pound it in on good teams as I have written. He needs to be the three ball shooter--since there is no one to spread the floor.

The Celts can be had if you play them hard all the way. But this mix of Pistons just may not work. The mix is the problem.

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

First, total shock. Tay actually lobbed the ball into Amir for an easy score at the start of the game. Tay had a truly sad game, but at least he did this one thing right. Then, he had a second op to make a fairly simple lob to Amir, but decided to weakly toss the ball away instead with a silly bounce pass. This is Amir, he can go up for the ball. Is Tay still grieving about Rip not starting? Good question. Considering the total embarrassing showing Tay had tonight, I say he has zero right to question the coach. Get with the program Tay.

How did Curry punish Dyess for missing jump shot after jump shot in the first half? A pansy on offense or the entire game. Just pathetic. Dyess gets the start in the 2nd half for that? If he had done a thing right in the first half on offense, there would be a slight reason to make the change. There was not.

Garnett made Sheed look pathetic in this one. On outside shooting. Garnett made a bunch. Sheed missed a bunch.

Curry made a clueless decision in starting the 2nd half with Dyess, and remained clueless after the 3rd quarter. He gloated that we had lost the quarter by 4 points less vs. the 1st quarter. But gee, didn't Curry notice that we only lost the first half by a bucket? That is pretty good. Why change things? Did Curry stop to think, that sure, we did a little better - but that Dyess had now played 12 mintues at that point? He is 6 minutes behind vs. the first quarter, and he does not see it. We ended the first half on an uptick, but that was from the fact Dyess did not start the first half. Amir is an energy player. How do you think we ended up with the energy to make the comeback late in the half?

No Afflalo, another energy player. Gee, here we have a chance to see how we can do against the champs, and Curry just whiffs. You don't leave out Afflalo and expect to win. It just does not happen. Energy is important. Sure, we did ok in the 2nd quarter - but just maybe if guys like AI, Rip, Tay, and Stuckey had played a bit less in the first half, they would have a bit more left in the 2nd half. (Of course, this hardly appies to Tay in this game as he seemed out of it from minute 1.)

Amir did little wrong in his short stint in this game. Kept some rebounds alive that got to us. Was in position around the basket - though his teammates just managed to get the ball to him once and weakly throw the ball away the other two times. Heck, Amir even did well guarding Perkins in the post the one time. Meanwhile, the team around him is basically choking, so he gets pulled. Thats the way I saw it. I also noticed our defense pretty much completely broke down when Dyess came in for Amir.

Rip was playing on somewhat of a groin injury, game time decision. Not bad for a sub. We did well in the 2nd quarter with him in. Yeah, he got that critical turn late.

AI did ok. Not great. He certainly has not been making his longer outside shots of late, but he does draw fouls, and score near the basket. Seemed to be moving pretty good on D.

Stuckey gave us quite a bit of scoring, and held his own on D too. Good game in all, but man he certainly did not manage to create any offense for us to start either half. (So, in other words, as a starting point? Not too good.)

Bynum has disappeared from the rotation, quite predictably. But Afflalo too has almost disappeared now. Not good. Just 6 minutes the last game, none this one.

No Kwame in this game. Another guy who could have added some energy. But apparently, Curry does not believe in that sort of thing. He chose to start two old men in the 2nd half, and then let the foul situation dictate what happened from there.

JMAX gave us lots of offense boards, some scoring. Man, if he could get better at the line. Those two missed ft's there after the flagrant foul were huge. We scored on that possession, so potentially that could have been a four point play - not just the two - and since he retaliated and they made the resulting tech, we only gained one point on the sequence. Sure, I know a lot of people would have not wanted him to just take it. But its about winning. You sneaklily knock someone into next week in the upcoming playoffs, rather than do anything obvious to get the tech in a tight game.

Bottom line, this was no blowout. No dominating performance by Boston. Our current rotation, you know, the one with Amir starting, did just fine in the first half.

And this despite)

A total pansy game from Dyess, Prince, and Sheed. Well, Sheed, just bad.

And thats now 13-6 with Amir starting.

One more thing, this craziness of Curry's is exactly why I was wishing Dyess would not come back after the trade. Curry thinks of Dyess as some kind of security blanket. Overplays him. This is how much Dyess should be played - as much as he want to work near the basket. If he wants to set outside and shoot jumpers, let him sit on the bench and dream about it. We don't need players out there working for the other team. Now, Dyess has shown some signs of getting it of late - working inside at least as much as out for a few games. But then he reverts in the big game? Toughen up Dyess. Getting beat up a bit inside, that is what you get paid for. Show some guts next big game we have, and fight to get inside for scores.

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Pretty darn thoughtful and observant post. Thanks.

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Starting Maxiell. Quite the popular notion before the season started. Anyone notice the double standard concering Maxiell and Dyess? What if Maxiell had taken and missed all the jumpshots that Dyess missed tonight? Yep, Curry would bench Maxiell for weeks. But Dyess? Just play him even more.

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You are not completing the story. Sure Amir leaves his guy. But he recovers back a great percent of the time. Kwame just can't do that. Major, major difference. JMAX and Amir are our two best pick and roll defending bigs. Either can be better than the other, depending on the matchups.

16. detteam

detteam All-Star

Just to be fair, yes, Tay shot like doodie tonight and seemed almost invisible on the court. But he did come up with 3 steals, a block and 4 assists.

edit: With 14 boards, how is Dice a pansy?

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Remember, I read all the posts before I post. Someone said I would make excuses for Tay, so I was being a bit on the sarcastic side. Tay was guarding Pierce, who of course, per him, is the best player on the planet. That can be tiring, plus Tay is getting over a groin pull himself. Still, I did not like Tay's game at all, which consisted mostly of settling for long outside shots vs. making strong attempts at going inside. (Especially after the initial heat checks were showing he had zero electron motion.)

18. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

and anyone can cheer...so whats ur point?

at least i know its just a freekin game.........but I pay 140 dollars ayear for NBA league Pass

so

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i agree Hogman!!! All i mean is...

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Maybe everyone should chill out. It's not like we didn't know the Celtics are one of the best teams in the league (literally #1 or #2). It's not like we didn't get our butts handed to us by them many times in the last two years, with and without CB.

It's not like we have been playing awesome basketball either.

I agree with Kim, and mentioned in chat that the big improvement was that we made it a fight until the final couple minutes. We haven't been able to give Boston that sort of fight in even 1/2 of our last 10 matchups (incl. playoffs).

The team is still not showing any poise or organization. Curry's coaching is a joke. He's got zero feel for the game, he's got zero feel for the roster. That timeout at the end of the half was a perfect example of over coaching. And he gets nothing out of timeouts anyway.

Game on Sunday, another podcast. HQ will be calling into this podshow to relieve me, and blow off some steam with the Low for y'alls entertainment. I hid his medication.

Book it. :D