Boston at Detroit ... November 15th

Discussion in 'November 2005 Games' started by mercury, Oct 2, 2005.

1. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Nice 2nd Half

CB was unbelievable in the third, and 'Sheed I thought really stepped up in the fourth (again).

Kudos to Arroyo as well. That fourth-quarter run was made with him running the point and CB on the bench.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yep. Flip was true to his word. Darko played "more". I was wrong.

The last time we played Boston Darko only played 4 minutes. This time he played 5 minutes. :tsk:

Another Piston win.

7-0 sure feels good! :)

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I wouldn't mind it if they just won the game from the start instead of having to always kick it into high gear near the end.

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Our PG combo dominated... Sheed and Rip woke up.

Now the real test begins.

5. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

I want to see Darko get more PT but this Maxiell looks like he is ready for some NBA PT.

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Agreed... he gives the confidence that Darko lacks... but we have to project Darko in two more years.

7. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

1st half

I know the team should lock doen a little bit better in the start, but in their defense SA gave the ATL a 55 point start to, including 31 1st qtr pts. Now they have opend a 15 point lead in the 3rd, so a good team can role this way........i guess.

8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

game report

1st half

So far, our starters have done quite poorly. The best unit out there was Evans with the other four starters besides Rip. The starters themselves are minus for the game by quite a bit, way too prone to shoot outside shots, and not hustling back on defense.

The bench. Hard to say. Each player was brought in, and then was off the floor not too much longer. Darko got burnt by Jefferson a few times, but then stopped him. And then Darko was at the offensive board getting a couple of tap back tries. And then he was out of the game. Darko also had one offensive rebound putback too.

Delfino hardly was in there to say much about him. Arroyo hit a couple of shots. Missed one of two free throws. We used 10 players, but by the end of the half, Ben Wallace did not get much rest. Dyess played some too, did nothing.

Rip missed his first couple. Tay has missed a few outside shots. Ditto for Sheed. Billups on the other hand has only shot a couple of times and has a pair of made threes already. Well, we go to the hot hand. Maybe thats going to be CB in the next half.

I strongly suggest Flip go to a whole 2nd unit going in all at once. What he is doing instead looks pretty helter skelter. A constant different mix of players. Just an opinion. Rip has hit some shots, but note, its the long range stuff he is hitting well. GO PISTONS!!!!!

Game report

Fun one to watch for sure. CB just flat out took it over in the 3rd quarter. But still, CB could not get a lead all by himself. Boston kept hitting shots. Thats where Arroyo comes in. By the time Arroyo left, a full 6 minutes into the 4th quarter, we had the game in hand. Not won yet, but you could certainly see that we were on our way. Another outstanding game by Arroyo. Wonder if anyone out there noticed amongst his detractors. Probably not. Probably going to need to see this what, ten more times. Maybe it will start sinking in. Arroyo is pretty darn good. On a fast break, they had the other guys covered. So swish. Twice in the game he stole the ball. Just flat out decided to help the other guy dribble and came up with the ball. Ran fast breaks well. Several assists. And that defense. Boston rarely scored while CA was in the game.

We ended up with just a bit of garbage time, but other than that, and 20 seconds for Delfino at the end of the 3rd quarter, we just used Evans, Dyess, and Arroyo as subs in the 2nd half. Sure, our bench only got 16 points in this one while the game still counted, but it did a great job, taking our 3rd quarter comeback and stretching it into a win.

Dyess did little in this game. Just rested Ben and Sheed and thats about it. He did get that fast break dunk on an assist from Carlos Arroyo though. Ben made some key free throws late. Notice, he did not fade back a bit on those babies. Keep that up Ben and they will all soon start dropping.

You got to go back to Carlisle to why we won this one. Boston was shooting great. But we got physical as all get out in the 2nd half. Ben of course led the effort, but look at Rip right up Davis' shorts. CB muscling West. Etc. We played good solid physical basketball in the 2nd half and shut Bostons water right off.

Pierce showed himself to be quite a player. So did Tay. I will call it a draw for the night. But Ben sure as advertised helped out his friend tonight. Pierce managed to get past Tay. But Pierce had to put his head down and use every trick he had to get by Tay. But wait, keeping your head down with Ben lurking? Bad move. Ben sent that shot packing.

In the 2nd half also we saw the fruits of practice, practice, practice. In the game. Sheed went inside a lot in the first Boston game. With little success. He went inside in the first half tonight. With little success. And in the 2nd half tonight, no success the first couple of tries. But then he got comfortable. Got in rythm. And he went to town inside. And still managed to nail a big triple during our comeback. PS, Arroyo's shot gave us the lead.

Evans hit a shot. He was part of that rally late 1st half, and he was part of our rally to put us ahead for good. No, I can't recall any details really except he was there battling and the team was doing well around him.

Oh, but I did forget one thing about Evans. He finished a fast break with quite a dunk, showing his ability to really go vertical.

1st half, too many shots. But really, was it too many shots, or that we were just not making them. Oh well, one thing does not work, you go another way. Inside scoring by Sheed, and CB taking it inside a lot, was featured heavily in the 2nd half.

CB was brilliant, making several conventional 3 point plays. One on a falling down shot where he must have shot from about 2 feet off the ground it seemed. His other shot along that lines before that was prettty impressive too, just forgotten after the much more spectacular 2nd one.

115 points. Wow. 7-0. Double wow. And Darko got some more important, in game when it counts minutes. Four times now and no losses from it. Amazing. Love it. Want more of it. GO PISTONS!!!!!

9. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Helluva second half

They picked it up in the fourth quarter with 38 points, but they won't be able to do that against the better defensive teams (Indiana, San Antonio). Also, lots of minutes for the starters again and not that much help from the bench. Sound familiar? I could've written the starters/bench sentence last season (and I did). C-Note was great. Dickou was his beetch big time.

10. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Carlos played very solid this game. He showed that he has alot of heart. Probably the most agressive D I've ever seen from him. The Pistons just murder people in the 4th quarter now. I agree though, they need to work on putting together a full 48 mins of Detroit Pistons ball. 7-0 does feel extremely good. :)

11. max

max All-Star

Game

Great game. Who would have thought the C's would shoot 68% in the 1st half. Some of those were fast-breaks most were jump shots.

Even though the Pistons had to hole to dig out of its getting to the point where you expect a win in these circumstances. What a hugh 4th. CHauncey with 10 assists to go along with his 27 points or so. Rip staying on Fire, Prince and Ben consistant as usual.

PRBAller - Arroyo 8 assists and I am not sure how many points 8 I think. Great game.

Sheed - 2nd good game in a row, actually a great game tonight. When Dyess gets rolling look out.

Looks like FrenchyFan had the closest prediction with 107-91.

12. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

Disagree with the "No help from the Bench". Did you see Carlos A? The others played good, but he was great. I also would like to see starters play about 5 minutes less per player.

13. AzDaddy

AzDaddy Second Round Draft Pick

You questioned why anyone would think he would play more tonight. I never said you would be wrong or right, or even thought Darko would play a lot tonight myself.

I just let you know a potential reason why people thought he "may get a chance tonight". You seemed to be confused. Isn't that the reason you were scratching your head?

14. TBird

The Bench

One thing nobody has brought up that I think is creating part of the "problem with our bench" is the fact that our starters are so good. This may seem obvious, but the dropoff from our starters to ANY group of bench players in the league would be significant.

I agree that our bench has produced only sporadically (and I'm still waiting for Dyess to show us something), but it is all the more noticable because of the quality of our starting unit.

15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Sorry, I wasn't taking a shot at you.

I was aware of what Flip had said earlier but knew he didn't play him the first time so I was wondering why he would suddenly decide to play him a week later against the same team if the reason he didn't play him in the first place was because of matchup problems (like he had also stated previously).

I really like Flip and my first priority is seeing the team win. But I think sometimes Flip talks out of both sides of his mouth.

I think Darko has earned a chance to get more minutes. If not, then Flip should just say so and keep him benched so he doesn't hurt the team. If he has earned the minutes...play him already.

16. TBird

The Low

Hey Low,

I noticed your first-half post (regarding our lousy D, which I agreed with), but I also started looking back over some of the earlier game threads and noticed you haven't been posting much then. It kinda seemed like you only showed up when something negative happened.

I remember you not being the biggest fan of bringing Flip in here, but I want you to recognize some of the positive things that he's bringing to the club. No, our defense is not what it was the last two years, but it's still pretty good when it needs to be and our offense is really functioning well right now.

Maybe our gauge of success just needs to change a little. Rather than using whether our opponent gets to 90 as a measuring stick, perhaps our ability to get to 100 matters more now.

Just want to encourage you to keep an open mind. Flip's all right, he really is.

17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Leee, next time you mention Evans getting beat on defense... please remember Darko vs Al Jefferson this game... it's only fair.

18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Sorry Low, but you're busted bro...
    I know you're thinkin playoffs but where's the love for 7-0?... crickets.

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

More comments on game and the boxscore

First, I read the comments at ESPN. You would think That Billups came in and won the game. Nope. Billups got us back into the game, after he and the starters did pretty poorly up until that point. And the big 38 point 4th quarter. That was mostly Arroyo, not Billups. But Arroyo's name is not mentioned in the article. We never did get the lead with CB in, but CB came back in with us up 7 with 6 minutes to go in the game.

Sheed ended up with quite a line, 20 points and 14 rebounds. Ben made all 4 of his free throws. Rip made the only 3 he took, but he also made I believe every shot he took from out near the line. Like about 4 or 5 altogether. Tay had just a good all around game. Some inside scoring and fast break scoring even though his outside shot would not go in tonight. Still chipped in with 15 points.

Despite all the heroics by CB in the 3rd quarter, it was Rip who led us with 25. This guy just does not get enough respect from us fans on the talent he has.

Laugh of the game. Blount got 1 rebound. Pretty typical for him, the starting center for the Celts. Someone in their organization should get a clue and ship him out while someone can be fooled into thinking he can play. And LaFrentz can't do a darn thing inside. Altogether, Boston has a very weak front line and should address this if they want to get anywhere this season. Trading both is a good idea.

Evans made 2 of 3. Darko hit another outside shot their in garbage time. Dyess got no more minutes in this one really than the rest of the bench squad. Thats different. About all for now. GO PISTONS!!!!!

20. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

The Pastor

I stand corrected. I missed some of the fourth quarter and didn't realize how good CA was. He played very well. Thanks for keeping me honest on that one. :nod: Arroyo has been impressive for the most part. I counted him picking up his dribble too fast a few times, but he was quite efficient as Lee pointed out.