blueadams is depressed / needs to play fun game

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jan 24, 2014.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Let's take a look at the personnel now:

Villanueva, Stuckey, Harrellson. All FA's at the end of the season. I don't want any of them back.

Jerebko. Don't see him passing on his option. I'd like to get rid of him, overpaid as a backup, but I don't think I'll be able to.

Monroe. RFA at the end of the season. I want him back. Probably will cost something like Smith ~ 14mil.

Bynum. 1 season left. Overpaid as a backup. I don't want him. Might be possible to move.

Billups. 1 season left. Overpaid as a backup. I don't want him. Might be possible to move.

Datome. 1 season left. I don't want him. Hard-ish to move.

Singler. 1 season left. I like him as a backup, at his price. But that'll be hard to keep him at.

Siva. 1 season left. I don't care.

Jennings. 2 seasons left. Should be a backup. Hard to move. Don't like him, period.

Mitchell. 1-2 seasons left. I like him, but whatever.

Drummond. 2 seasons left. I love him.

Pope. 3 seasons left. Blah.

Smith. 3 seasons left. Hard to move. As talented as LeBron. Need him to work harder, be motivated.
  2. blueadams

So..

Next season's team looks like

C: A. Drummond
    PF: G. Monroe, T. Mitchell, J. Jerebko
    SF: J. Smith, G. Datome
    SG: K. C-Pope, K. Singler
    PG: B. Jennings, C. Billups, W. Bynum, P. Siva

If Monroe gets about 14/season...we're looking at about 3mil in total salary cap space...and that's before the draft...so, NO free agents this summer, unfortunately (unless maybe some MLE, LLE stuff).
  3. blueadams

DRAFT.

17 wins right now. I take over the team, we're not winning another game. That should be enough to get a top-4 pick. I'm taking Marcus Smart.

PF: G. Monroe, T. Mitchell, J. Jerebko
    SF: J. Smith, K. Singler, G. Datome
    SG: K. C-Pope, C. Billups
    PG: M. Smart, B. Jennings, W. Bynum, P. Siva

2015 pick probably isn't going to be ours. So no need to tank again. I'd like to move a lot of these guys to create cap space (or, whatever).. but I just don't think it's going to be possible.
  4. blueadams

Next off-season, there's much more room to work with..

PF: G. Monroe, T. Mitchell(?)
    SF: J. Smith
    SG: K. C-Pope(?)
    PG: M. Smart, B. Jennings

Mitchell and KCP are team-options, so, we'll see.

About 20 mil in cap space. So, enough for a big-time max FA. Who's available? Honestly, the market's quite, quite bare. There is one dude I like though. And he'll leave some cap space for us to fix up the bench.

Klay Thompson. He's a RFA, but we can outbid for him. Not a superstar, but a great shooter who'll help spread out the court.
  5. blueadams

SG: K. Thompson, K. C-Pope(?)

Now we're getting somewhere.

Smart's a hell of a point. He's a great leader and he's got all the intangibles you look for. Great size, strength and athleticism - a great defender. A great scorer. A solid point - but he needs some fine tuning from Zeke. Just a guy who brings a great energy to the court I love.

Thompson. He's a hell of a shooter. Could be developed into at least not being a weakness on the other end of the court. Having someone like him on the floor who can spread out the court is a MUST.

Smith. Like I said, I think he's just as gifted as LeBron. But he really, really needs to be motivated. Dantley, man, do it.

Monroe. I like where he's been headed. Improving steadily from season to season. Not sure he's ever going to be a shooter. But I imagine he'll just continue to get better. Kareem, get after it.

Drummond. Like where he's headed too. Think he'll be the best all around big man in the game by this point.

Jennings. Kills you on defense and in most other ways too. But he can at least get you some quick buckets in a drought.

KCP. I'm not optimistic. Who knows.

Mitchell. I dig.

OVERALL. Just talking about starters here..

Defense. Smart, great. Drummond, great. Smith, (can be) great. Monroe, solid. Thompson, (can be) solid.

Offense. Everyone out there can really run, save Monroe. Should be one of the best post-scoring teams out there. Smart can attack and distribute. Thompson can knock em down.

Character. Smith is really the main concern.
  6. blueadams

GM: Me
    AstGM: Larry Brown
    DirSco: Bobby Knight
    Sco: R.C. Buford's top man(?)
    DirB.O.: Dork Elvis's top man(?)
    AdvSco: Jerry Sloan
    DirB.D.: Greg Kampe

HC: Isiah Thomas
    AHC: Lenny Wilkens
    DefAC: Nolan Richardson (Lionel Hollins, if he's interested?)
    OffAC: Paul Westphal
    PD-Bigs: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    PD-Wings: Adrian Dantley
    Vid/W.O.AC: John Beilein recommendation(?)
    *Consultant: John Beilein

SG: K. Thompson, K. C-Pope(?)

Shoot. Idk. I think that's about the best I could put together in two seasons. I'd like to spend what money there is left on a nice wing off the bench.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's possible that in a half court practice setting, your coaching staff would beat the players.
  8. blueadams

Alternatively, we could trade Greg Monroe for a top-10 pick in the draft (would be hard to get top-5 in this draft). Then you take Smart with your first pick, Gary Harris with your second. Sign Klay Thompson the next off-season, and you've got a ton of cap-space to pick up bench help.

PF: J. Smith, T. Mitchell(?)
    SF: K. Thompson
    SG: G. Harris, K. C-Pope(?)

Now you've got a real nice lead guard, on par w/ the best in the league, possibly. A great team leader. High energy guy. Fierce competitor. Can attack the basket. Finish in the paint. Drive and dish. Shoot a little bit. Two wings who can really knock it down from outside. The most dominant all-around big man in the game. Unlimited potential guy in Josh Smith. And, like I said, lots of cap space. Interesting base..
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

With one Elvis the coaching staff, perhaps you could book Elvis Presley for some of the halftime performances.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

blue, I feel like you're setting yourself up for a lot of arguments over the roster with LB and Bobby Knight on your staff.

Pound for Pound will want to trade a different guy each day.

I do however applaud your foresight in planning to hire 2 people who may not exist.
    blueadams and roscoe36 like this.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If you really want to leave your mark, how about hiring a coach for the head coach?

Hire Phil Jackson and get Gores to buy Red Auerbach's ashes from his widow to offer counsel to the coach after games.

The Chuck Daly hologram would be useful here as well if you went in that direction.
    linwood, roscoe36 and BillLaimbeer like this.