Bill Laimbeer

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Apr 19, 2013.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

While I love the fact that Laim was on OUR side all those years, we all KNEW he was a jerk who did some jerky things (I saw him push Milwaukee's Larry Kristoviac ? in the back on a fast break in the playoffs that ended his career) that even rubbedhis teammates wrong. Dont forget , even Zeke popped him in the eye once. I just dont feel that upper management wants to deal with him on a personal level on the same level that even Kareem Abdul-Jabbar cant get a coaching gig. Some players have burned to many bridges behind them and have too much pride to apologize for doing so.

Slippy likes this.
  2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I"m
    I'm going to contain my rage, but we're not hiring a guy to go through interviews for the Detroit Pistons. We're hiring a coach. Unless he pulled a Sprewell during the interview, this just sounds like more of the franchise's smearing that took place during that time. The same way Isiah really didn't do anything, but was somehow 'too big for his britches.'

Nemo likes this.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I'm gonna disagree with you here. Laimbeer had limited physical gifts, except for being tall. He used his mind to make himself the best player that he could be. The NBA marketing allowed him to be a "Bad Boy" as much as anybody. The whiny fans from other markets (Boston) just didn't appreciate all the skills and leadership he brought to the Pistons. I could never call him...or Isiah a jerk.

The Low likes this.
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I wonder if it was a Sprewell type of thing?

So, Bill, tell us why you are the best candidate for this job?......

5. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I cannot tell you how happy I would be to hear he had been given this coaching job. And Rick Mahorn as his assistant. We got it all figured out, don't know what Joe is waiting on....

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

7. basketbills

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I wonder if he said he has an agenda against winning.

linwood likes this.
  9. basketbills

Or maybe Arnie Kander was part of the interview team and Bill couldn't get his leg up the wall?

linwood likes this.
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i'm
    just saying we were wearing our 'championship goggles' there for a while and it didnt really change the notion that Bill and Horn did a lot of dirty stuff back then. But they were the best at what they did, so we benefitted from it. The difference between THEN and NOW is that we had the ultimate General in Bill D..the ultimate Colonel in Chuck D and the Ultimate Captain in Zeke with the ultimate Sergeant in Bill. Those four elements have to be present now or we will never smell a title again.

brofmfa and linwood like this.
  11. vincy4fish98

vincy4fish98 Bench Warmer

Bill: Cause I'm the only coach who will kick the ____ out of those ___ who think they are NBA Players currently on the team. If they don't like what I say then they can go _____ for all I care. If they want something more then we can _______ outside. If managment doesn't like it then they can kiss_____. You get what I am saying? That's why I am the best candidate for the job. Any questions?

Joe D, Gores, and administration: Mouth open, pencils dropped, eyes bugged out. Thank you Bill we will get back to you with our decision.

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

How does a beat writer know if a guy interviewed well?

The Low likes this.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Vince Goodwill falls into the trap many beat writers do. They get "inside info" and presume it to be high value and not propaganda.

I've seen him crowing on Twitter about how he talks to inside people and this means he knows what is what.

The question he should be asking, why would someone in the org give inside poop to a beat writer...

coynejeremy, round and linwood like this.
  14. Pwn Toney

Yeah, but those guys became that here in DET. They did not arrive with that status. Plus it took 8 years after drafting Zeke. We have fresh young players with talent and someone who not only saw that process took place, but helped make it happen, is a great option for this team.

15. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

16. linwood

linwood All-Star

That's why he's a beat writer, and not an investigative reporter!

I wish the Pistons had a Woodward and Bernstein to get to the bottom of the Pistons Problem. Maybe they could uncover some e-mails where Frank refers to his agenda against winning.

roscoe36, Nemo and basketbills like this.
  17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I REALLY dont see this socalled TALENT everyone is talking about. Isiah, Tripucka, Dumars and Laimbeer were good from the get go. Won 39 games at the miminum. Then we added two rookies in Salley and Rodman who were also good in their first years. AT THE MOST, Monroe would be the 7th best player on those teams. We still need two bonafied studs with a winning pedigree for this crop of Pistons to even be as good as the Grant Hill Teal pistons.

Woody likes this.
  18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

The best guy was Langolis. That's why they hired him to be their stooge.

roscoe36 and linwood like this.
  19. Pwn Toney

one question: Do you honestly believe that Knight, Drummond, & Monroe have no talent? Monroe is literally top 5 in the entire NBA centers for pts and rebounding. Sure, I guess you could hope for top 1, but I guess that means you would have gotten rid of Laimbeer because you had your heart set on Kareem when his contract came up. Come on man. NO ONE in the world thought us having a core of Zeke, Laimbeer, and VJ was going to be anything on the basketball court. No one thought Zeke was going to be a champion the way that team looked when he got here and again it took 8 YEARS. Drummond just had ONE. Knight's been here TWO and Monroe is among the best in the entire league as his position after 3 seasons. How can you tell me that we have no talent?

...and frankly, Tripucka was the kind of "talent" that you also had in Allen Iverson. Whole lotta points...not much in the way of helping you win anything meaningful.

The Panda, Nemo and coynejeremy like this.
  20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Monroe in the top 5 of NBA centers....and just WHO is on that list again?
    Who are these NO ones who thought we would not have a GOOD team when Isiah got here?? We got better because our GM MADE us better! Of course, a championship was dreaming but this current franchise hasnt even reached AVERAGE yet.....
    Name one Pistons player who has had at least FIVE games of 20 points or more in a row? How many times did a player on this team reach 30 points in one game? Our leading scorer AVERAGED 16 POINTS a game!!!! Are you telling me - MR. COBO HALL!- that there is a player on THIS team that has the potential to average more than 16 points a game?

The NBA has become a joke and its not because of the fans lack of love for their teams. We will be as good as the current level of talent in the NBA allows us to be. It took Isiah's teams TWO YEARS to be NBA Creditable. It Took BEN WALLACE's teams TWO years with carlisle to be NBA CREDITABLE!! Are you saying , Mr Low , My man, that it will be a Champion Banner hanging within the next 8 years with THIS core of players OR 8 years for this team to regain NBA creditability?