Best Point Guard in the NBA

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Sep 4, 2005.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I agree that Arroyo should be the #1 sub PG in the NBA. Daniels will be the starter in Washington this year so he's out of the running.

I guess Shaun Livingston may qualify for the backup PG competition. Derek Fisher? Steve Blake. Rick Brunson. Yes, maybe Rick Brunson. Did you guys read the ESPN article on him?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=2149948
  2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

guards

I have to go with AI #1. Pure talent, there's nobody better.

Nash is the best pure playmaker, with Kidd a close 2nd.

Billups is the best all around guard. He can make plays, make the big shots, play D, handles the ball well, doesn't make many mistakes, can post up and outmuscle any other guard in the league, and is strong willed enough to go up against LB for 2+ years.
  3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Interesting...

AI - most talented, but most likely to cost his team a victory as well. AI with the Bad Boys over Zeke...I don't think so. Can't see AI actually making his team better despite his all out 150% of effort he leaves out on the floor every night. Field Goal Pct is ungodly, but I do love watching him play inspired ball.

If Jason Kidd was healthy this would be a short discussion. Great defender, excellent passer, exceptional basketball IQ. Questionable jump shot.

If you think of a point guard as an orchestrator of the offense, today you would have to give it to Steve Nash. Noone makes him teammates better. If he had some D, we would be talkin' about one of the all-time greats.

Chauncey gets my vote for second (when he plays the right way), then AI. When Chauncey picks his shots, and gets everyone involved is there truely anyone better at his position?

To summarize:

1) Nash
    2) Chauncey
    3) AI
    4) J-Kidd
    5) Mike Bibby

...and thats as far as I want to go. B-Davis and Brevin Knight need to show me that they can give me at least half a season off the injured list. JEEEEESHHHHHH!
  4. roscoe36

I was just making the point that if you surrounded AI with the talent Zeke had, the Sixers would be perennial contenders.
  5. MotownPride

sure.

I'd grant you that Microwave..except I have yet to see AI co-exist with another offensive talent effectively. He makes everyone look bad...but he looks great doing it. lol. Watching his game, I often forget how they made it to the finals in the first place. Oh yeah, it was that awesome defense. Mutombo was a monster for them. Whoever can figure out how to win a championship with Iverson's style of play would be my immediate choice for coach of the year. I will say this...when Iverson is "on' anything seems possible for his team if they rebound and play agressive defense. The problem is he still shoots unconsiously even we he isn't on and the team lives and dies off his performance from night to night.
  6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Iverson then Billips

Although Nash had a big year, I would put Billips right behind Iverson today. Kidd is getting too old. Hard to fathom him being that high but I think he is.
  7. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

best pg

1 mr big shot total balller
    2 nash mr almost everything he can pass and shoot with the best defense ehhhhhhh
    3 ai if his ego ever gets put in its place could truly be awsome (practice we are talking about practice)
    4 starbury id almost compare his game to zekes
    5 bibby steady leader does not get ratttled easily
    6 kid if he could shoot better he might be #3 or #4 (maybe he should do the kiss thing before he shoots his jumpers? lol)
    7 tony parker hes got rings
    8 franchise he just needs some help i like his game
    9 jason terry up and comer
    10 hinrich baby bulls thats all i gota say even if jay will comes back it wont be for them
    11 arenas probobly should be higher but oh well needs to improve his d and he his still young
    12 boykins to short huh been in the league 6 or 7 years now
    13 chucky ...... i miss chucky good defender good shot just not good enough to beat out cb
    14 mighty mouse still has game but for how long
    15 nick the quick i wish we had got him not the spurs:mad2:

i know i missed a couple but those are how i would rankem
  8. MotownPride

hmm..

Chucky Atkins before Andre Miller?

I dunno.

I'm a homer, but I wouldn't even put Chucky ahead of J-Will.:suspiciou
  9. MotownPride

...and

I wouldn't put "Nick The Quick" ahead of Sam Cassell.

Just my thoughts.
  10. Abe Froemen

motown

sam is past his prime if was healthy for more than half a year maybe and like i said i may have forgottn a few miller is better than chucky but i would take nick over sam anyday
  11. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Abe

How could you not include Baron Davis. No one on your list stops him when he's healthy. Granted health has be the issue last season. Even as a parttimer I would place him at #11 ahead of anyone comming off of the bench.
  12. Abe Froemen

b diddy

i had him 3 years straight for fantasy ball and each year he screwed i gave up on him . when he is healthy he is great he led league in pg scoring for a while 2 years ago till he went down like i said i just gave up on him if he is healthy yea he is probobly at about 6 or 7 on the list or higher but till he plays 70 plus games i would not pick him
  13. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I think you have to rank the top five like this:

1) Iverson
    2) Billups
    3) Nash
    4) Kidd
    5) Bibby

Iverson is the man hands down. The quickness the fearless drving to the basket the ball handling skills and the point production you just can't ignore. The one thin that bothers me about him though is that he does take alot of shots to get his points.

Billups should be ranked over Nash just by wins alone. Nash ahs not won anything nor has he put a team on his back and willed them to victory.

Nash is falshy but his game lacks substance. No defense to speak of.
    Need I say more?

Kidd would have topped this list 3 years ago but he is falling apart. I never liked Kidd and his womanizing ways but I do give him credit he was a great playmaker even though he could not hit the side of a barn half the time.

Bibby rounds out my top 5 he is not flashy but is effective and makes very few mistakes with hte ball and has a nice stroke on his jay to keep the defense honest.
  14. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Iverson

I'm bother too by his many shots. I don't believe Allan is the best PG for that reason. He's the best scorer and the flashier guard in the league, but CB is the best PG hands down. Good handle, run the system to perfection, good passes and take the shots when he's open. Very smart and strong going to the rim. He might be a little slow, but he have a great feel for the game.
  15. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Kidd

gets a ton of credit for being such a "smart" player but I must ask this, If you couldn't shoot in High School, couldn't shoot in College and you can't shoot in the NBA, why are you still shooting ? It seems to me that a "smart" PG should know and understand his own weaknesses and STOP SHOOTING.

I can't say I'm disappointed by it though, I really enjoyed his 0-8 game 7 against the Pistons a couple years ago.

GO PISTONS !!!!
  16. roscoe36

Didn't Kidd lead his team to the Finals twice? That's a better resume than most of the guys on the list. And you know it was Kidd more than K-Mart or Jefferson.

I don't like him, but JKidd has done more with less than a lot of PGs.
  17. Jackattaq

But Kidd

is USELESS in a halfcourt game. It has been shown TIME AND TIME again. If he can't push tempo, his shooting weakness really hampers his ability. He just isn't a halfcourt player. Those 2 finals appearances were alot because of Kidd but ONLY because the GM was smart enough to put players that suited Kidd's style. Richard Jefferson is a pure running mate, Kittles was one of the fastest SGs at running the floor, Kmart was a very fast and athletic PF. If Kidd were on a team that weren't built to run (like last's years) then they didn't do much of anything. Kidd needed complementary pieces around him to help him as much as those pieces were being helped by Kidd. That is why I just can't give Kidd too much credit. Once you slow the game to a halfcourt game, he is almost worthless. At least guys like Nash, Billups and AI can play BOTH styles (half and full court).
  18. roscoe36

I don't buy that. RJ was injured but once they got Carter then played Golden State it all came together. They've added a ton of depth this offseason and will be a playoff team again. With RJ and Carter on the wings, an improving Kristic at center the Nets will be good again.

Not many teams can transition from the loss of talent they had last year once RJ was injured.

As I said, I don't like Kidd myself, but when healthy he is a top 3 PG in this league. Can you imagine if he had gone to San Antonio last season per the rumours? Scary.
  19. Jackattaq

I disagree on Kidd's impact on SA

because Kidd just isn't a halfcourt player. Kidd isn't a break you down type PG. He isn't that quick. He is fast in the open court with the ball but as far as a halfcourt PG he just isn't that good. He has to run to be successful. If he were on SA he couldn't break down his man off the dribble and hit that "teardrop" with the same consistency that Tony Parker can. Not only that but if SA did get Kidd, he commanded a MAX DEAL and they wouldn't have re-signed MANU or attracted FA's like Horry or Brent Barry. Kidd just isn't worth the "bang for your buck" anymore. I think he makes 18 million this year. I really never thought that Kidd's skillset would matchup well with the halfcourt offense that SA run through Duncan.

I know it's only my opinion and I could be wrong but, but I stand by it.
  20. roscoe36

Fair enough, but your earlier post criticizes Kidd for needing a certain talent set around him to thrive. Isn't that the same with every player? Didn't the Glove need the Rainman? Weren't Rodman, Laimbeer and Dumars the perfect sidekicks for Zeke? What was KJ without Barkley? What is Parker without Duncan?

By your reasoning, Stockton should have been great without Malone. I can't see that.

Has there been a better PG in the last 10 years at running a break? Maybe Nash, but he's been unable to take his teams to the Championship level. And he had LOADS of talent. There is no way you can compare K-Mart to Amare. Amare is way better now than K-Mart ever was.

I understand not liking a player, but there is no such thing as perfection. JKidd has done plenty with the hands he has been dealt and won along the way. It's tough to knock that.