Ben's gotta be selfish

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by basketbills, Sep 17, 2005.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

About.com has an interesting article on contract year players. Here is what they say about Ben..

"Does Big Ben have anything to prove? A little more impact on the offensive end could a long way in raising the stakes of his negotiations, as he is already 31. Wallace showed flashes in last year's Playoffs with games of 19, 21 and 29 points -- a few more frequent showings like that could change the view of Wallace as a void that no should pass to"

Are we going to see Ben jacking up more shots during the regular season to inflate those contract year stats...I think so.
    http://tinyurl.com/9olo8

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I hope Ben does whatever he does in his contract year well. He'll get a big payday by holding off Darko and winning another championship.

I wouldn't blame Bennie if he went seeking for the biggest possible deal. Can anyone fault him for that? This team's only All-Star, 3 time DPOY and most marketable personality.

Go Ben Go!

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'm with you on that Micro. Big Ben has been great.

No matter how well he does, though, I'll bet he still can't hit a bloody free throw! :frusty:

4. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

That article makes no sense. Even if Ben increased his scoring by 50% (which he won't), teams would still have to ask themselves if a 15-point scorer is worth near-max money. Given his niche, his reputation and his age, the most selfish option for Ben is to stay unselfish ... racking up all the blocks and rebounds and stops that other guys can't.

5. max

max All-Star

Max Deal

It only takes one desperate team. So yes I can see Ben getting a max offer. With how thin front courts are these days - yes Ben will get a max offer from someone.

6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Quite likely, but he won't get it for his scoring.

The number of shots Ben would need to average in the teens (especially given his free throw shooting) would make almost anyone in the NBA a pretty good scorer. My point is that it's stupid to say he'd be more attractive to teams if he took extra shots so he could average a double-double. Makes more sense to say he should work on free throws so he could become a more efficient scorer who isn't a 4th-quarter liability.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

LanierFan,

I would agree with that.

http://tinyurl.com/84s3b

In his last year before he got a max deal Mutumbo put up significantly better #s than Ben did last year, and DM does have the true size for the position.

On intangibles, Ben is worth some serious money. But who will pay for intangibles? I thought Phoenix might but now their stable is full.

8. max

max All-Star

Fa

No ones going to quibble about 2-3 PPG. Ben knows how to win. He has a reputation for winning. What would adding Ben to Clev, LA, Utah, NJ, etc.. do for those teams? They would all be contenders. Thats worth paying a max deal for.

Plus what is the FA market going to be like for PF's next summer? I heard its going to be pretty thin and as usual every team with cap space needs a PF.

Call it overpaid or not but Ben will get a max offer next summer. Every summer a big guys gets a huge offer and everyone thinks it crazy but it always happends.

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Ben was maybe .1, or .2 points ppg away from a double-double last season, and he didn't throw up a lot of shots he mainly got hustle points, and remember that Ben's FT's are getting a lot better he shot horribly in the first half of last season, but got in the 60%'s in the second half of the season

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ouchhh! :faint2:

11. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

^^^Yeah, that did sound harsh. But we know if hard work could solve Ben's FT woes, he'd already be a good shooter.

12. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

Ben asserting himself offensively is fine by me. however, i DETEST(ED) when LB would somehow isolate Ben in the post with Lindsey on the wing. talk about the most offensively inept combo on the team. Ben's offense should be opportunistic, imo. rebound putbacks, alley-oops, etc.

i think we've see all that Ben can do as far as one-on-one play. and it ain't pretty. that said, Ben's not stupid. he's been relatively good about playing within his capabilites.