Ben Wallace's future?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Sep 18, 2005.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I was hoping for Ben's contract to get done this summer so we can avoid the drama of him being a RFA. The more I think about it however, I think that waiting is the best thing to do. Ben's value to the Pistons is tremendous, almost immeasurable. But nobody really knows his value in the Free agency market. Ben is only valuable in certain situations on certain teams. Ben is worthless in a Clipper uniform or Hawk uniform. If you're a team with a big PF or C on a defensively oriented team, then Ben can be a great asset, outside of that he's not, all that. If all the teams that could use Ben's game have no $$$$ to spend, and the one's that do can't really use him, it makes negotiating Ben's contract a little easier.

2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Were they not on worse teams than these Pistons?

3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Rip is better than Michael Redd, and Chauncey wasn't better than Kidd before but now I have to say Mr.Big Shot is better than J. Kidd.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Hmmmm. You tell me.

Dice was an Olympian on the 2000 Dream Team. 1996 All Rookie Team, 2nd overall pick in the draft. 2001 All-Star.

Sheed was a two time All-Star, the best player on Portland which went to 2 Western Conference Finals losing the 2nd one in a Game 7 (one game away from the Finals). 4th overall pick, made All-Rookie 2nd Team, ranked in the top 10 for FG% 4 years from 1997~2000.

Seems to me, these guys didn't need Detroit to become stars. They were max players and legit before they came here.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

That's not what I'm trying to say. I'm saying that Sheed had the ball in his hands a lot more in Portland so his stats were a lot higher then so more people probably gave him votes to be an All-Star, and same goes for Dyess. When they came here though they are still great, but they don't have the same stats since they are not the only go to guy so some people won't put a vote in for them. See what I'm saying?

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Not really. You said that if they went to crap teams they would be superstars. I said they were before they arrived in Detroit.

You replied that they were on worse teams. I responded with a synopsis of their resumes as ballers, which indicates that they were legit superstars regardless of the teams they played for.

Yes I understand your new point, but it still doesn't make sense. Dice and Sheed are superstars in Detroit. The whole arena hush-chants "Sheeeeeeeeeeed" when he gets the ball in the post. The only Piston with more fan interaction is Darko.

Would they score more elsewhere? I suppose. But they are good ballers despite their stats in Detroit, and every team, player or coach in the NBA knows that.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Yes, you're really right, but these idiots that vote don't get that. All they care about is the stats.

8. max

max All-Star

Sheed

Sheed often commented on how he had to adjust to not being the go-to guy with the Pistons as he was in Portland.

Personally I think the wrong Wallace often took shots that would have been better taken by Sheed.

9. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

I'm not saying Ben's production has gone down because of him more so the fact of Sheed and Tay being a presence on the floor.I think he is regardless of stats still very effective.I want to see Ben stay and finish his time out as a Piston.I still think he has some good years ahead of him hopefully he's rested up from Shaq tickling his spine through route of his chest with his bulldozer elbow.

I think Ben will get a shorter term contract but if someone younger getting paid less makes a serious step...this is a business and that's the part alot of the fans hate when you come to like a player.Maybe in a couple years he accepts a role on the bench or having the ships he moves on for the money.This will be one to keep an eye on I'd hate to see him go.

10. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

you guys are funny

It is a known fact, well at least to me anyway that Ben Wallace is the cornerstone and foundation of this Piston team. If Joe D has any sense in his head which we all know he does Ben will remain a Piston till the end of his career. Detroit is a much different team without him in the lineup, and it would be travesty if in any way we lossed the vital part that makes this team go every night.
    Time to get back to work, Go Pistons!!!!!!!

11. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

No doubt they would score more elsewhere. However when you have a team concept stats get scarficed for the sake of winning. Teams that realize that this win those that don't lose. If a guy is worried about getting his touches then he is concerned with winning. It is a difference if the team is losing and the guy wants the more to help his team out.

12. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

BiG BEN

He will get the contract extension no problem. Ben and his agent already said when the time comes itwill be handled. Ben did not want to be a distraction with extensions wanted to play out the contract. He played it well and surpased it when measuring against his peers. BE WILL BE HERE!!!!! :eyebrows:

13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Ben is still the man

Ben is who started our championship run--he was the first big piece. His impact on games is truly phenomenal. I don't think that he has slowed down but we do need to give him support and we have with Sheed, Dyss and now Davis. I don't think that he was entirely healthy nor rested last year. So he only brought it Ben style from time to time. Look what he did in game three of SA. It was Ben who block the shot before Duncan missed the cripple to end regulation in game 5. It was Ben who block Ginobli with a minute left in game 6. It was Ben who fly-swatted Duncan's ball out of bounds in the 3rd quarter of game 7. I am expecting a monster year from Ben as he should play less minutes and hopefully be injury free. His offense is also better. We need to use him as a finisher off the ball. We should avoid throwing the ball into him--it just goes nowhere and eats up the clock.

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Thank-you. I'm tired of hearing people saying Ben is done when the only thing he's doing is getting better, and I hope Ben got rid of those bone spurs.