Ben Wallace HOF Club

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Oct 29, 2005.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Couldn't help myself. I fought it off for a few days but my fingers have a mind of their own. There's one rock on the roster that has been NBA solid since the day he laced'em up in the red, white and blue.

Big Ben Wallace.

[​IMG]

That's what I'm talkin about. The Brother from another planet. Look at that extension. If you're gonna relentlessly talk HOF in todays real world of Pistons that make the difference, Ya gotta first stand up and tag for this guy before you start stickin tails on passing Donkeys.

The Pistons HOF club should embrace those that have already climbed the mountain, makin sure they get their due, before it cannonizes those that hang in the base camp.

[​IMG]

Membership rules? Ain't no membership rules. Ben Rules. That's it.
    Truth is what separates the men from the boys.
  2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I'm down with that

I wish Ben shot 'em better from the FT line though. 'Course, Wilt sucked from there, too, right?
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

I feel like I've been an unofficial member for years. But hey, let's make it official. Sign me up. Number 3 in the hall of fame.
  4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

And just think how much better Ben will be, getting some rest, able to go full throttle for 30 minutes instead of pacing hisself for 40 minutes.
  5. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Retired numbers:

#2 Chuck Daly
    #4 Joe Dumars

Good company, don't you think?
  6. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Big Ben

His #3 will without a doubt be hanging in the rafters of the Palace one day.

I wonder what kind of consideration he will get one day for the NBA Hall of Fame. He's definitely a non-traditional candidate. It will be interesting to see what kind of response Rodman gets from HOF voters, because I look at Ben's contribution in much the same way.

Then again, they haven't put Joe D in yet. In my mind, if James Worthy is a HOF'er, so is Joe.
  7. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Ben

He's in MY Hall of Fame.......... :nod:

Nobody has ever bled that much Piston red white and blue since Joe D.
  8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ben in the hall?

I think the Pistons should definately retire his number when he's done for what he has brought to this team, but I don't think he's a Hall of Famer. One of the best defenders ever? Absolutely. But not a Hall of Famer IMO.

If he had any offensive game whatsoever and if he could make more than half of his free throws, I think he'd deserve definate consideration.

But taking the Pistons coloured glasses off for a second, if he was on any other team, could you honestly say you'd support putting him in the hall?
  9. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

absolutely

Sign me up! Fell in love with Ben's game the moment I saw him play for us after the Hill trade. Rock and heart & soul of the Pistons.
  10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

So the Bulls are gonna run up the price for Ben's services?... Ben playing for a division rival is disturbing. I highly doubt this would happen (no way Joe let's Ben walk to the competition).

Yeah G, it is interesting that our proven performer gets only a fraction of the keystrokes as a kid that hasn't yet proven a thing in this league.

Where do I sign up?
  11. G-man

G-man Starter

Jammer

The thread is response to other HOF threads.

Point being if getting behind guys on the roster for any HOF talk at all, actually delivering your club to the "Promised Land" should rate a cat higher than simply having the ability to pull on a jersey.

The difference in having the "potential to do something" and "doing it" are the "real world" results. Everything the Pistons have done in the last 4 years is a direct result of this guys personal role and personal effort while those years were rolling by. He's the heart and soul of the team we've been watching.

It's insulting to see the current guys getting limited props for what they've actually done, while people "purr and coo" over those that haven't done anything in reference to HOF talk.

I agree that it's too soon to seriously debate Bens eventual place in reference to the HOF. He's got another 5 or 6 years left in him to determine his position in all of that. But if he stays on the Piston roster and they continue to rack up the wins, he surely will be a long-term fundamental component of their gritty success. He may well be acknowledged by that fact more officially later.

The HOF is full of guys that brought fundamental games and good work ethic to teams that stayed at the top during their tenure. Many were rewarded for that tenacity, consistency and good timing and are in the HOF today.

I'm not counting him out, I'm simply counting him closer to being "in" than anyone else on the roster today. It's really all about about the props.
  12. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

the only thing is if you want to be a genius member of the BHOF club, you have to have been following him and shouting his praises before he was 12 years old.

otherwise, you get a 'no-good bandwagoner' fan button with matching jock strap.
  13. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Where Do I Sign?

Ben Wallace ain't going no-where. His jersey will hang from the rafters along with Zeke, Joe, Bill, Bing and the rest. Joe D will never, ever, let Ben walk, secondly, Ben wiill not want to walk. This is home for Ben now, and once he retires, you will find him somewhere in the front office either working for Joe or Joe working for him. I say again, if it comes to paying Ben Max or near the Max, expect Joe to get er done.
  14. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

Armygirl...a max deal would blow up the team. Ben would never let that happen.
  15. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I didn't mean that literally, I don't think for a minute that Ben would bastardize this team, he is too classy of a guy. I think Joe & Ben more than likely have an informal agreement as to his status for next year.
  16. max

max All-Star

Don't Worry About Ben

Don't worry about Ben people. Ben knows where he belongs and will not forget that Dumars gave him a contract porbably as much as 10 mil more than any other team would have back in 00. The Orlando magic were actually shocked that Dumars was offering Ben that much money.

Dumars believed in him and gave him his 1st break and that will not be forgotten.

The deal will be huge but not too lengthly. If a 3 year deal is good enough for Shaq its good enough for Ben.
  17. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

Maybe that's exactly what needs to happen for Ben to ever be fully appreciated. Once he's gone, his impact will be as obvious as daylight. Think about any of the few games over the past several years Ben's missed due to suspension or injury. Remember how average and vulnerable the Pistons seemed?

I predict, Ben's legacy will be remembered three ways:

#1) It will be remembered by statisticians, who will inevitably record Ben as being a great rebounder and shot blocker, sort of a next generation Dennis Rodman, complete with bad offense.

#2) Ben will be remembered by us, the ones who watched him and understand that quantifying Ben's basketball skills with numbers and equations is a fallacy.

#3) His legacy will be recorded by basketball "experts" -- the same ones who forget every off-season that the Pistons are championship contenders. Why do you think they do this? It's because the lone "superstar" - Ben - is too much of an unprecedented player. Because of this, they can't trust him to lead the Pistons back to the Finals the same way they can trust Shaq or Tim. That's the funny thing about Ben Wallace -- when you're watching him play, you see exactly why he's accomplished so many things. But when you're not watching him, you start to doubt him, and you wonder if maybe the next time he steps onto the hardwood his powers will be gone. And then you watch. And the bell gongs. And you realize how foolish you were to doubt him.

That's why I fear the "experts" will lose sight of Ben's greatness once he stops playing, because there's no statline for "Unpredictable, Dynamic, Game changing plays."

And just the opposite, we Piston fans will miss him more than ever once he's gone.

Sign me up.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Griffin

You're right on.
  19. max

max All-Star

Original Question

In reponse to the original intent of this thread.

With 2 and probably 3 DPY's before its over, several all-star appearances, one championship in the bag, always near the top in blocks/rebs, career triple double ( with 10 blocks ).

Yes Ben will be in the HOF. Not right off as the non-mega superstar media hogs usually have to wait a few years but Ben will make it into the HOF.
  20. G-man

G-man Starter

Personally, I think he reamains a Piston throughout his career and enters the HOF. The only thing that might stop him from getting there is an injury in the next two or three years.

Assuming Ben plays another 5 or 6 years then retires, he'll have to be out five years before his name can be submitted to the HOF for consideration. So we're likely talking somwhere between 2016 -2018.

It depends in large part who is else is up for consideration at that time. Who else is in the process with him at that time. Bens conditioning and durability is a huge component in all this. He's an Ironman and there aren't that many of them out there in the running with him today.

I agree with your assessment Max.

I think one of Dumars problems, regarding entering the HOF, is he was on a team with a number of other accomplished vets that shroud his contribution to the winning roster he was a part of - and it probably doesn't work in his favor.

I think Bens contribution to this roster is much clearer. He IS the vital component where Dumars was "one of" the vital components.

So in retrospect Bens level of contribution will be viewed by the HOF will stand alone under a brighter light.