Ben Wallace Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Sep 29, 2011.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's not good. At least the gun wasn't loaded.

I'm sure there are reasons why it is so, but to me it doesn't seem like carrying an unloaded gun should carry a possible 5 year sentence. If he would have had a permit, then no crime. So, the really crime is not having a permit. 60 days and a fine seems appropriate since we have the right to bear arms.

My question is why would a guy like Ben Wallace not just go through the permitting process? I'm assuming he has a weapon since he's a celebrity and feels the need to protect himself.

This definitely hurts his transition into a mentor/ management role.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think he does retire after this incident just because of the circumstances. He should though be offered a coaching position with the Pistons to assist the young guys who definitely need the training and do some PSA on the consequences of drunk driving.

Agree that at least it wasn't a loaded weapon, but since he was , his vehicle was the most dangerous object on the street that night. You have to wonder where he was and which bar or friend let him go out in the street by himself if he appeared to be under the influence?
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    This is really too bad. Ben's image will never be the same.
    And for his own sake he was also assigned to the toughest judge possible.
  5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

The biggest impact this will have is on his post-retirement career aspirations in practicing law.

Too bad. But, this doesn't tarnish Big Ben's image in my book. It's a black eye for sure, but when compared to all the other crazy stuff that NBA players have been doing, this is relatively minor. I mean, if LeBron's mom's loverboy doesn't do jailtime for going Mad Max on the highway, Big Ben shouldn't do any jailtime either.
  6. BillLaimbeer

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

Is a gun in a backpack in the backseat of your car a concealed weapon?

What if Ben Wallace had just purchased the gun and was driving home with it? Would he be carrying a concealed weapon? If it was sitting on the dash of his car in plain sight, would he be in the clear?

I have a couple of shotguns, and I take them out to the skeet/trap range on occasion. If they are in my car, am I carrying a concealed weapon.

This sounds like nonsense to me.

As far as the drunk driving charge, it's poor judgement, but not much more. I don't see how this "tarnishes his image" as a basketball player or athlete. He wasn't driving recklessly, no one was injured, and he wasn't beligerent. I think a fair punishment would be a fine and some community service. Anything more is most likely grandstanding by a prosecutor or judge.

How does Jim Rome feel about this? He must be outraged.
  8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I don't think that is necessarily true, Walter. The bar ethics committee will let pretty much anyone in as long as you are honest on your application about your past. They will do a VERY VERY thorough investigation.But honesty is key!!

Ben has a clean past other than this one incident. They will see that he has been a very good citizen, overall. I don't think he will have any problem. But he likely will receive probation (I'm guessing five years). It normally takes four years to complete law school anyhow, so he is good to go.

He also won't get prison time. The State is trying to save money. It is expensive to lock people up. I sincerely doubt Ben Wallace is a danger to society. In reality, Vick got in trouble with the feds for not paying them their taxes. NOT for dog fighting. Who actually goes to federal prison for fighting dogs???

He probably carried the gun for protection. In Michigan you are allowed to carry a gun for protecting your money but not for protecting yourself. They say the police do that. Ha Ha. It is difficult to get a concealed weapons permit in Michigan unless you carry money frequently (like deposits for a business, etc).

In Idaho, everyone packs. (You just can't have ever had a felony, if If I recall). :6shoot::makmiday: It is very Republican and they would go nuts if there were heavy restrictions on carrying guns. :cold: Yup. I've got a gun (a 9mm.) and a permit. But those damned things are heavy and bulky so I don't take it anywhere any longer unless I think I am going somewhere I will need it...in which case I shouldn't be going to that place in the first place.

I hope things work out for Ben Wallace. I'm not at all disturbed by anything he allegedly did. There is a saying...(Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6). :)
  9. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

But will his number get retired and his jersey raised to the rafters at the Palace? Oh, Ben is my very favorite Piston. I don't think this is that big of a deal either, but I hope he has earned some "teflon" on his image and he can still retire a Piston and IMO be the only one from our Championship team to have his jersey raised.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If he is designated down the pipe to get his Jersey raised to the rafters (after they get rid of Stuckey), then I think he still gets its.
    (Unless the new owners balk because they are trying to send a message to the community about the NEW Pistons.)

There are folks in the Basket Ball HOF who have done worse and have been drunk if not in public..at a championship ceremony:sssh::)). Remember they found Rodman asleep in his pickup with a loaded shot gun back in the 90's...his rep was already suspect so I guess it didn't make any difference.
  11. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

For me...this is as bad as his signing with the Bulls...

Chauncey to the rafters IMO...Ben...I'll let you people decide.
  12. Darth Tater

Really/ I can see maybe you lowering your opinion of him, or not liking him in the first place, but he usually worked his tail off for the Pistons and played great defense. He proudly represented and highlighted the "work ethic" in the city of Detroit.

What does carrying an unloaded gun on one occassion have anything to do with hoisting his jersey into the rafters? Look, if he shot his wife to death with the pistol, I would feel differently. I wouldn't honor O.J. But this is relatively minor.

Charles Rogers...yeah. I'm embarrassed he was a Spartan. Plaxico...a little. Maybe they did more harm than good.

But Ben Wallace? I was more ticked at him leaving for Chicago or the protest incident.

But overall...raise the jersey.
  13. Nemo

My point was that I'm undecided. I am upset enough that he left for the Bulls, although he had the right to make that decision. I am also very upset at his protest decision. This simply placed me into the undecided category. Not just this one incident, but the combination...

Truth is, I'm just surprised to see Ben placed in such a situation.

I do love him as a player, just like Rip Hamilton...Just not sure about their jerseys now....
  14. BillLaimbeer

Forget about the gun in the trunk. When you are driving around the city with a .14 blood alcohol level, you are putting innocent people's lives at stake.
  15. Nemo

Didn't know the level...That's too high...
  16. Darth Tater

Me neither. I was wondering how high it was. I had forgot about that tidbit until after my post. Yeah, DUI is NOT good. Especially that level.

Well...probably first offense.

He still just gets probation.

Irregardless, raise the jersey.
  17. Nemo

I Always respect your opinion.....:)
  18. linwood

linwood All-Star

I can't believe I agree with Darth... But I totally agree with Darth.
  19. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I agree. The gun doesn't bother me as much as the drunk driving. If you know you are going to drink, have someone else drive. However, he is still my favorite Piston, but this is a huge disappointment.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Hiring a driver for all drinking excursions would probably be a good investment for a pro athlete. You could get someone full time for $60K/year, couldn't you? Also, you could get all your texting done in transit and be more efficient.