Ben Irked/Trade Partners, Wizards, Knicks or Cavs

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 3, 2006.

1. linwood

linwood All-Star

I couldn't find any hard numbers for Wallace sales, but I did find a couple of articles from 2003 that projected 3 billion dollars in merch. revenue.

I haven't done the math, but I think it would be a pretty small percentage of that money needed to make up the 14 million in saved salary and tax.
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Nope, now it's C'notes team. We can give him 20mil. next year.
    How much can we make from selling after market BBen Bull jerseys for the Inflatable Defender. You know a velcro stick on. I hope we locked up the rights to that. Cro, you going to need one?
  3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

well they're going to gain in jersey sales w/people like me who gotta buy a non-wallace jersey now. maybe i can tape a '6' next to the '3' on my ben jersey :laugh: wonder if i should get a maxiel one.

and micro, i was planning on selling most of my regular season games next year to make $, so...yeah ;)
  4. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It's 1400 here in Kuwait. Had the late shift last night, busy as crap. The first time I was able to sign on since last night and was in for a rude awakening.

I didn't beat up my roomate, but I did go out and kicked a lot of sand around, beat up a few sand flies.

I saw it coming 1,000 miles away. As far as I am concerned, the Pistons made Ben Wallace. Now he will take his skills to a contender.

I am officially pissed because he goes to our greatest foe, the Bulls and receiving absolutely nothing in return.

I will go on record by saying that Scott Skiles has the last laugh now. Remeber all the battles we had last season, its going to be interesting to see how this will all play out.

Was reading Sherrod Blakely over at Mlive who was emphatic about Ben not leaving this way, without a sign and trade. Ben could have forced a sign and trade if he wanted.

If I am not mistaken, Orlando could have signed Hill outright also, but he secured a sign and trade as to not leave the pistons strapped.

What will Jo D do now?

This is a very perplexing situation.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Hill did a S&T because Detroit could pay more than Orlando.

Ben didn't do a S&T because Joe didn't want anything off of Chicago's roster in return (from some article).

You see, the Pistons didn't want that salary on the books. Right now, they pay no tax, and will probably even get money back from the league at the end of the year. Their $59 million dollar roster could cost them as little as $51 million.

If they did a S&T, they would have ended up with Ben's contract worth of salary.
  6. armygirl

Hey Rosco,

So will Detroit end up with more money to spend due to Wallace not signing.

According to Mlive, the pistons only have the MLE to sign Pryzbilla. According to Sherrod Blakely, Pryzbilla is heavily leaning towards signing with the Pistons, we should no something by the end of today.

Does this mean that we won't have money to go after Bonzi now. I don't understand the financial piece that's involved in Ben not signing with the pistons.

Does this mean we will have that 59 out of the 51 million to spend this season?

Help a sista out my fresh prince of O'Canada
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Ben not signing does not create more money to sign FAs. We had Ben's Bird rights (same with Cato), so we could sign him to whatever we want.

Because the Pistons are over the cap, they only have the MLE (approx $5 million) and the Bi-Annual (formerly the million dollar or low level exception) of $1.747 million to spend on NEW free agents..

That's it.

By not signing Ben, the Pistons will not pay any tax if they
    • use both exceptions
    • and they don't sign Kelvin Cato
    I would run with that scenario for now because they are chasing Pryzbilla with the MLE, which leaves only $1.7 ish million to get other help. Bonzi aint coming here for that. And they ain't signing Cato as a 3rd center (behind Pryzbilla and Davis) if they have to pay tax.
  8. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

so we have the mid-level and the bi-annual and we still need a backup PG, a decent swingman and now maybe a big man. we might be able to only get one of those.

so options look like:
    C- Joel Przybilla (mid-level)
    SG/SF - Bonzi Wells (mid-level plus half of split bi annual)
    PG - Speedy Claxton (mid-level)

All 3 options leave us with pretty much nothing for a second FA. Does this seem logical roscoe?
  9. armygirl

I guess the only way to free up cash is through trade.

If they release/trade some players (Cato, Davis, Delk) that should also free up some cap space. I guess the Mo Evans trade did nothing to free up space.
  10. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

well no more chance of speedy (going to hawks), and b-jax (going to hornets). who's left? :confused: