Ben Irked/Trade Partners, Wizards, Knicks or Cavs

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 3, 2006.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

If Ben is airing his gripes in the media, I am sorely dissappointed in him. I didn't have Ben pegged as an attention seeking, arrogant disgruntled employee. I really thought he was a pretty humble low-key guy.

I guess there is a ring of truth in the say "Success Spoils Good Guys and Make the Humble Sell Thier Souls".

Bottom line the Pistons will have to come up with another 2-4 million dollars to retain him. Davison may not answer the bell. It has always appeared to me that Davison doesn't like business aired to the media. Ben may have shot himself in the foot with this one.

I still would like to keep Ben, but for how much? Really don't want to break the bank and cripple the team in doing so.

It looks as though there are some teams calling for Ben services. New York, please no Eddy Curry. We have to get a big man out of this deal, maybe kill three birds with one stone, Center, SF & point.

Cleveland, Drew Gooden, the wild child (can't remeber his name?, with the wild hair), Larry Hughes (too injury prone), Ilgauskas?.

The Wizards, I will take the big boy Haywood, Jared Jeffries, Donnell Taylor, Antwan Jamison, Antonio Daniels or Caron. I think a combo of two or three of these guys and the Wiz becomes our greatest trade partner.

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Cut him some lack ArmyG, contract time is when all the dirty laundry is cleaned. BBen doesn't even know what he's worth until 2-3 clients give him an audit. They're all playing hardball now! Lots of high and tight stuff.

3. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

That's why he has an agent -- to do the talking for him so he doesn't tick off the people he might be playing for.

4. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Ben should not have made those comments on that contract offer. How much is he paying Tell'em Tellum to do that for him. Ben comes across sounding like just another greedy athlete who was "disrespected" when someone offered him tens of millions of dollars to play a game.

OTOH, this is all monopoly money anyway and after the bad draft choices:doh: and the loss of all or our young bigs:doh: , we have no choice but to pay Ben a ridiculous amount of money as long as it doesn't exceed 4 years. Unless Joe plans to blow things up in the next two or three years.

Joe has always said that he wouldn't negotiate by pointing out the flaws in a particular players game - privately or PUBLICALLY. Joe is a class guy all around and he will not be dragged into a public airing of dirty laundry.

5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

It's true that all the verbal/media sparring is part of the routine of contract negotiation but it seems like it could be handled behind closed doors just as well.

I wonder if the promise of being more involved in the offense would have an effect on Ben's decision?

"He would play a bigger role on offense with the Bulls, which is said to be important to him, though he isn't considered a strong offensive player". (Chicago Tribune)

6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I was in favor of Joe offering a Max deal from the start of negotiations. Pull no punches approach.

That being said I do not know if this bodes well, and at the very least I hope Joe swings a sign and trade. Whether or not it will help us would depend on the S/T. :fingerscr

7. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Why does Ben all of a sudden have to be "attention seeking and arrogant" if he voices his displeasure? Is he just supposed to be a good little Piston and sit at his locker, cash his check, and shut up?

Just because a guy says he's unhappy, doesn't mean he's a malcontent. It simply means there are somethings he doesn't like and if keeping him is really a priority, then it would be wise to address those concerns. It more than obvious that Ben has made these feelings known in-house, so it's not like he's springing one on anybody here.

I can't believe that we've gone so far as to start criticizing a guy who is simply saying what matters to him most and it's a thing that is GOOD for us no less. A guy is honest, and not even maliciously honest, and it gets him killed (figuratively speaking) here. Just because a guy can't put up a 30 pt night doesn't make his opinion/input irrelevant. No one starts threads about bouncing Billups when he griped about LB as thinly veiled as it was.

8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Dude, I agree with you completely. He wasn't malicious at all in his statements, I think we need to cut him a little bit of slack. Jeesh! Ben has showed pretty good character since he's been here and should probably be applauded since he was the only player that saw the writing on the wall early on. He knew our team was in trouble. We have such a double standard. The Pistons front office is not infallible either. The offer was insulting compared to the rest of the market. I'd be more P'd off if Ben said something like, "Obviously the Pistons don't appreciate what I have to offer". But all he said was .."I'm a little bit disappointed"...give me a break. Ben is the only thing preventing us from losing our defensive identity. I hope the organization sees this. My prediction is that if Ben walks, I expect this team to be completely torn apart within the next 2 years. Count on it.

9. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Heck, or 2 weeks.

Ben could have seen from how the deals of Sheed, Rip and Tay were handled that you don't need to %%%%% in the press or visit other teams to get a fair wage. If he's gonna do it, though, I'd rather he hint about concerns about his fit on this team given its offensive and defensive strategies and sudden playoff meltdown.

10. basketbills

I didn't realize until I read it recently that Ben measured 6'7 at predraft workouts. Then he doesn't get drafted. Works hard. Wins multiple DPOY awards and a Championship ring.

Ben is entitled to act like a chump for a while. We still need him back.

11. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

And the congregation says.."AMEN!"

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I agree with Low and Motown.

"It was disappointing," he said. "It was not at all what I expected."

I interpret that as meaning "I want them to offer me more money."
    He's in contract negotiations. He recently hired an agent known to play hardball. This was expected. What else could he say when asked about the offer? "No comment"?

I don't think Wallace really wants to play elsewhere and looking at the Pistons lack of alternatives at Center, I would imagine they will get it done. I don't see any indications that it's getting ugly.

13. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

Just imagine this city losing both Ben Wallace & Steve Yzerman in the same week. Something like that should never happen. We need to keep a few heroes around town.

Speaking of which, I keep thinking how perfect Stevie Y is ending his career (minus the way the team lost), and I keep thinking that that's how it's suppsed to be with Ben. Here, in Detroit.

I'm on the brink of insanity until we re-sign him.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I would sign and trade him for Darko and Jameer Nelson or Chandler and Gordon.

15. basketbills

Something else that I haven't seen mentioned is the effect that losing the Wallside Windows endorsement to Tayshaun had on Ben. That was a lucrative deal and Ben was hurt when he didn't get it.

16. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

"Pistons' $49.6 million, 4-year deal disappoints Ben Wallace" The other teams listed don't have a chance of signing him because they don't have enough salary cap (wizards, knicks) They could only get him through a sign and trade which would be if Ben didn't work it out with the Pistons. If Ben wants to meet with those teams, it's a waste of his time. In the end their will only be two teams who he will be interested in signing with, the pistons and bulls. Chicago hasn't even offered him anything yet, so the pistons are ahead of them at the time.

17. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Cloud, there you are, where have you been all my life:)

I agree Cloud, I hope Ben did not burn his bridges here. The sign and trade hopefully will go down if it comes to that.

18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

LOL, sure nuff Ben coulda been the cleaning the glass spokesman.

Seriously, when was the last time Joe lost a FA that he really wanted to keep?... G Hill and we know how that turned out.

Conversation Joe to Mr. D
    Joe - Uh, big D we gotta get this done or we're screwed...
    Mr. D- Ok, but will this get us to the Ship again?
    Joe- Well, I can say we won't without Ben
    Mr. D - Alright, grab my diamond laced pen ... let's geter' done.

19. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

If Yzerman retires, it's good timing re Ben's decision. Ben would probably like to be the basketball Yzerman, or as close as you can get. Stevie's going to get drowned in adoration in the press, and Ben's hopefully gonna read it and see what loyalty's all about. Albom's probably had his Yzerman retires column set for years now, his best effort for a memorable story, ready to be submitted for writing awards...

20. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

Getting Ben signed is really the most important thing the pistons better do. 4yrs 50 million I think will be the final offer on Detroits end. If thats not enough for Ben than the Pistons better not let him go to Chicago for nothing.

there is two players that I think Detroit wants well three, but by name the two players are Wallace and Bonzi Wells. In a perfect world both would be signed by the end of next week but we all know that nothing is perfect.

The players Detroit wants, Wallace, Well, Speedy, Atkins, and James.
    If Wallace is not sign than we will see a little bottom coming unglued.
    They have to get the Wallace deal done first because he is the Player that will keep this thing going in Detroit.:fingerscr