Breaking News Ben Gordon has been traded to Charlotte for Corey Maggette

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by detteam, Jun 26, 2012.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I've watched Julian with interest due to AG's connection with him. Seems like a nice kid from seeing him a little bit on that "The Association - Denver Nuggets" show on NBA TV. I went to one Nuggets game this year and Julyan played well. It was a game in February against San Antonio and the Spurs blew-out the Nuggets.
    ...Nephew got a lot of good run in garbage time and my wife was pissed because I wouldn't leave the game early because I wanted to watch Julyan.

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think the Pistons can just sit around and completely suck for another year. When people are leaving the Palace after Vanilla Ice's halftime performance, you know your on-court product is lacking. Rid some of the garbage, add a good draft pick or two, pick up a nice free agent, and perhaps there will be more of a buzz about the team than Chubby Checker and MC Hammer.

3. max

max All-Star

Sorry, you are not going to convince me that trading away a potential lottery pick on a rebuilding team is a good idea.

If there were 3 or 4 years left on BG's contract then I would say fine pull the trigger. But we are saving 1 year of cap in exchange for a potential lottery pick.

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Sounds like an appease the owner type of move.........Just Imagine the Pistons getting little value in this season's draft pick,
    we also keep Charlie Garbage, and then we lose our future 1st round draft pick........

I was at first happy that JD did anything, but now..........:cold:

5. BillLaimbeer

I think Mr. Gores told Joe D to "be impactful." The fact that the 2013 pick is lottery-protected and the 2014 pick is top 8-protected provides a safety net in case the Pistons continue to really stink the next two years.

6. BallDon'tLie

The Pistons were completely handcuffed by Ben Gordon's contract. As painful as it is to give up a pick (it won't be a lottery pick), it HAD to be done. Ben Gordon was one of the most overpaid/underperforming players in the league and was crippling the franchise. The fact that anyone stepped up to take him off of our hands is shocking to me. Gordon is an Air Jordan guy so maybe that had something to do with it.

The Ben Gordon mistake is now behind us and Joe actually has the ability to make trades again. Heck, he could even make a trade to get an extra future 1st round pick to help make-up for losing the one we'll have to send to Charlotte. Gordon, Villanueva, Prince and Stucky (Tay & Rodney to a much lesser extent of course) were all mistakes. This Gordon deal is the first act toward un-doing these mistakes. It's going to take a while to get back on track and trading Ben Gordon allows Joe to start one or two years sooner than he would have.

...let the recovery begin.

alexa032 and The Panda like this.
  7. max

max All-Star

True, good thing is we do not have to worry about it for a couple more years. Enjoy the time not having BG on our team. I used to hate how he always "found his shot" once we were mathematically out of the playoffs.

8. BallDon'tLie

A "Corey Maggette for 1st round draft pick" deal at the trade deadline next season isn't out of the realm of possibilities. The dude has some value.

9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

More than likely the pick will be a mid-teen pick...not a lottery pick. We might have missed out on the next Austin Daye.

detteam likes this.
  10. BillLaimbeer

I agree, you can always pick up a sharp shooter like Rodney White in that range. He made you forget about Michael Jordan.

11. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Hey all, Julyan Stone is my nephew. I am just going to the games, talking with the players i.e. Man, what a life and I am in basketball heaven. Al Harrington and Javale McGhee are some very nice guys. I first thought that everyone would be stuck up, not the case, these are genuine good guys who act like regular working folks. I really like Nene too , just outright friendly. I have to tell you that I am praying that the Pistons somehow get Moultrie. This guy out and out is a hustler on the court and an outstanding individual off the court. He was my nephews roomate while at UTEP. The Pistons cannot go wrong with him, high character guy.

12. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Congrats to Julyan. I hope he has a very successful career!

13. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

A great career to this young man.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Why wouldn't you showcase CV a bit before amnestying him? Don't do it now when his stock is at an all time low.

15. BallDon'tLie

I really don't want to see Charlie taking any minutes away from the our young guys in Summer League.

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

How would you suggest showcasing CCG? The only way I can think of involves bribing the other 9 guys on the court with him.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He had the highest scoring rate on the team last year once he finally got some court time. There are 20 GM's out there who are suckers for scorers who don't play defense.

Just play him for a while and pretend that he's in the rotation and then make up some excuse for why you're amnestying him. E.g.- Gores doesn't understand the amnesty rule and gave Joe an ultimatum about getting rid of the guy who tweeted the playoff guaranty.

18. BillLaimbeer

Do you really think someone would pay $16.5 million for 2 years of CV?

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

After we amnesty him (and get full salary cap relief), my understanding is that it works like a waiver from that point forward and the organization only pays the difference between his contract and what another team picks him up for. If that is correct, then having someone bid $10M for him would be better than $6M for Gores. And what is good for Gores is good for us.

20. BillLaimbeer

I see. So after we amnesty CV, you are hoping other teams will start a bidding war for his services.