1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

"Be Impactful"... Say what?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by CloudWalker, Jun 3, 2011.

1. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Am I the only one concerned that the first thing trotted out under new ownership during the Gores introduction is promotional material featuring the phrase "Be Impactful"?

They chose a catchphrase that happens to be popular in the advertising game rather than relying on the English language to embody what this team is going to be all about going forward?

Fellow Pistons fans, let today be the day that we start officially getting used to decisions made on this team's behalf being business decisions.... to hell with basketball decisions. They don't matter anymore.

Impactful..... really?

Don't hold your collective breath for a championship true believers.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  2. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. Made up english correlates more with good business than winning basketball?

3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep. It's a slippery slope.

4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

no....it certainly does not .

but what's the focus going forward?

Be "Impactful"

that's what

two guys behind a snow artist that doesn't mean squat.

when money matters more than winning don't be surprised.

5. G-man

G-man Starter

goreism..

Cloud is nominated to sift through the short bursts of motivational language we will now be introduced to by our newest pistons owner.

As the first official pistonsforum translator (technically a "Goreist") i expect big things as he compiles the mantras that will surely awaken the winner in each of our players and even some of us.

Let the book of "Goreism" begin....

6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Cloud did you watch the presser or is this from something you saw after the fact?

When he was asked about spending money and what he expected, I really liked his answers. A few of the reports I read after the fact didn't give me the same flavor IMO of what I had watched with my eyes. I liked his answers about spending money, if the money spent isn't "impactful" then he's failed. Those are the words I remember him saying.

Something else he said that really hit the head on the nail. You better earn your money today and everyday, its not about what you did yesterday. It also sounded to me that even though Joe is being retained he better deliver. He said he was going to push him everyday.

Yes its the first day and everything is painted with rose colored glasses on, but I read between the lines different then alot of the reporters did... With the track record of some of our "great" reporters lately, I'm going with my slant till shown I'm wrong. :P

7. MJO77

MJO77 First Round Draft Pick

Re: goreism..

you should change your username to . . . the gores-man[​IMG]

8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I read the recap at Pistonpowered.

Iliked this part:

9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

10. max

max All-Star

No doubt.

I would cut G some slack. Never been an owner before. We were so used to Davidson and all his experience at those pressers.

11. G-man

G-man Starter

I'm not cutting anyone slack that can come up with enough green to purchase this team.

I don't have any rosey misconceptions about how this guy makes his real money. He takes stuff apart, dis-employs folks, then sells off the assets. The Pistons aren't owned by Gores, they're owned by Platinum Equity. They're on Platinum Equitys balance sheet along with a boatload of other companies. They're in a basket, which means if the overall basket starts sliding these guys will off the team faster than you can say abracadabra.

Equity firms owning teams is a bad idea.

I know we have a love affair happening in here because Karen Davidson is off the clock, but don't kid yourself about the sharks she elected to swim with, remember she promised her dead husband the team would remain in the family too. She went with the high bidder not the owner that most likely understands the cycling of fortunes in the professional sports franchise arena.

I'm just calling a spade a spade cause all the syrup in here is giving me diabetes. So far all that gobbledegook thats rolling off his lips is the same stuff he tells any company CEO after he just bought the firm from the shareholders, right before he kicks the blocks from under it.

He's a b-ball fan, I get it, (so are all of us). But there's a huge difference between being a fan and being a good owner besides having access to money.

There's no basketball references in those quotes. Just typical commentary from a shark circling the pool before the bloodletting. If his basket tips down the road, the Pistons are headed to whatever market will pay him the most. It's called a reality check.

12. max

max All-Star

G-man, I don't know what to expect from him. I think we can all hope that he will care but you could be right and this could all be another kick in the head to a struggling Piston fan base.

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Well G-Man, I hadn't looked at it that way. Hadn't even considered it. Good points.

But Gores must believe it's a good investment so hopefully he will do his best to give it adequate time to work. It's got to be better than what the Pistons had with Karen at the helm. At least one would think/hope so.

14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think the slogan for this forum should be "Be Impactful".

15. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I know my Dentist has that slogan on his wall.........

16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Thats pretty much what I see from all of this.

Gores #1 goal is to increase shareholder wealth.

If he couldn't help but look to each of his "partners" before he committed completely to each answer he was giving in the presser I'm betting they will be dipping their fingers wrist deep into every decision that is made behind the scenes.

17. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

[​IMG]

Sterling by Committee

18. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That is every billionaire's goal. You don't get to be a billionaire, and able to own and support a basketball franchise, if you don't put profit first.

As far as Gores being untrustworthy, or someone worthy of cynicism, I can buy that. But this guy is an incredibly productive capitalist, and (from a business perspective) we could have done much worse.

That said, I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

Also, retaining Joe for at least a year makes sense. Cleaning house when his group has never owned a team before would be traumatic and ignorant. I have no doubt Joe's days are numbered unless he can pull something out of his hat. Gores needs Dumars to teach him about being in the NBA and the Detroit market first.

20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

True Roscoe, but people equate "increase shareholder's wealth" with "make money", and that's not necessarily the end all, so I try to make a distinction between the two as to not paint a completely diabolical picture. The two things are not synonymous, even though local media seemed to be striving for that correlation in the presser.

Everything you say is true though. Retaining Joe is the best move after any sort of scenario riffing that can occur in a room full of executives.

Unfortunately, a room full of executives will likely run this team into the ground, IMO.

You simply cannot manage a basketball franchise under that type of scenario. Players don't play on paper. Players excel on instinct and heart, and championships and great teams are forged of the same type of metal.

I would guess that our shareholder wealth was highest when we were not winning championships.

Anybody want to prove me right or wrong without me doing the footwork myself?

<lazy> :)