1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Be Afraid, Be VERY AFRAID

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by explosivity, Jun 16, 2007.

1. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Cosigned a zillion percent! Absolutely. That's what I want. A real true blue point guard. Steve Blake plus a youngster. Shake it up. Do something interesting. I just can't take another 2-3 seasons of the The Best Starting Four with Flip at the helm.

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'll go for 1 more shot. Like Dumars said...its HARD to bring an elite team together. Billups in Detroit for 07-08!

3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

If Joe keeps Chauncey you'll get more than one shot.

And they'll all be from beyond the three point line. :pound:

4. Slippy

Ladies and Gentlemen, that was Cloudwalker. He'll be appearing at the Green Lounge Thursday thru Sunday from 9 PM. No Cover but tips accepted.

I don't know what this true PG business is about. CB ran the offense as well as anybody. We got thrown some traps that SOMEONE couldn't figure how to counter and we forgot how to win with defense. otherwise, CB does a generally great job.

5. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I don't personally have anything against Billups as a point guard. But in my opinion, alot of what Joe has been saying about complacency is centered around Chauncey.

When this was Ben and Chauncey's team there was at least one guy providing a kick in the pants when guys started to slack off. Now it's just Chaunceys team and all of a sudden we get this kind of effort?

As far as the trap is concerned, it's basketball. Are you telling me that Chauncey needs Flip to tell him how to respond to basketball plays in basketball games?

By those standards, Chauncey must be an awful street court player without a coach to give him pointers everytime the youngsters smell blood and throw a press on him.

Point Guard= Coach on the Floor. If Chauncey would have had any success whatsoever by calling his own sets and breaking plays, I'd believe that it was the sideline guys holding him down. Fact is he simply wasn't capable of executing or enforcing his will, and after the games he expected things to fall into place for the next game without any extra effort from him whatsoever.

Let's not paint CB as some kind of fool here. He's a veteran point guard, and he's pretty darned intelligent. If there would have been any way possible for him to enforce his will on the basketball court, he would have done it regardless of the plays being called from the bench, and he didn't show me this once, not even when the Pistons were on the brink of elimination.

6. Slippy

great post. esp. the part about enforcing his will on the court. I agree with just about everything you said. However, I would still like him back. I want him to help this team rather than be the 100% solution.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

He plays like he's 5 when he's fatigued. He goes from top 5 PG to a scrub PG. I know fatigue can weaken your game, but it effects him more than anybody.

8. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    CB is the only player on Pistons that has no backup whatsoever. If Delfino and Murray could fill in for Tay and Rip somewhat, as soon as CB came out the other team went on the run since Pistons offense would stall. It is hard to live like that.

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If he gets a solid backup he will be fine. Remember when Arroyo was here? I remember him saying that he tried to improve his passing skills because Carlos was very good at it. I think a backup would keep Chauncey not only well rested, but also at the top of his game.

10. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Good stuff here. I'm figuring that it's time for Chauncey to go. I'd offer no more than 9 mil per season for no more than 4 years. I really think that these players no longer have the fire and a new core needs to be developed.

11. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

CB and his agent would erupt into uncontrolled laughter at that offer, and rightfully so.

12. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    That means you're giving up on this team for the next 2-3 years at least. They need CB to remain on the top of the conference. He does need someone to push him, someone young with developing skills.

13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is really the crux of it for me. For whatever reason (Flip told him not to, CB was too tired, CB liked being on TV with the ball in his hands too much, who knows...) the team never pushed the ball when it was in CB's hands. If Prince, on those rare occasions when he actually got one, got the board, he often pushed the ball upcourt, ditto for Rip, same for Delfino. Otherwise, CB got the ball and started walking.

Six, eight, ten times a game, swapping out 45% shooting for maybe 70% or so on the break would have made a real difference in the offensive output. Probably even made the halfcourt offense more effective.

The problem was that CB like running the offense too much.

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If the Pistons got a guard who completely changed the tempo to backup CB I guarantee you Chauncey would try getting fast break points more.

15. Nemo

I expect 50 wins even without CB to lead the way. We're ready for another. Expect JD to pull a rabbit out of his hat. About the size of Boykins.................................He'll push CB......... OUT..............

16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

The East will be even better next year. I forgot the record when Chauncey was not playing, but it was ugly. Something like 1-8. This team might not even make the playoffs without Chauncey.

17. Nemo

Many here would fear losing Chauncey. His agent is counting on the fear factor to drive up his client's price. Dumar's first priority this off season is what happens with the Chauncey situation. They'll build the team once Chauncey's fate is decided. I believe that Joe will lowball his offer to effectively change the psychological make-up of this team. Chauncey can be replaced...........and he probably will.........

18. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

He can try all he likes; it's just not something he's capable of doing.

19. Stereodave

Stereodave First Round Draft Pick

I am very afraid. It is extremely frustrating watching Chauncey play sometimes but if he leaves we are looking at a team with no center, no point guard, and four power forwards. Nobody can fix that mess with a couple deals over the summer.
    If he stays and Rasheed is willing to play center for another title run, and I bet he would if he thought he could get another 'ship, then the team looks like this:
    Billips
    Hamilton
    Prince
    Maxiell
    Wallace
    McDyess and Amir Johnson to back up at 4 and 5
    Dale Davis for a veteren center in case of emergency

This is a pretty solid starting five and front line.

Trade Nazr / draft picks for a backup point guard.
    It has got to be possible to find back ups for the 2 and 3 out of Flip, Acker, draft picks, trades, and free agents.

I'd rather find back ups at the 1, 2 and 3 positions than try to replace the two hardest positions to fill, point guard and center.

20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Good post, but I don't like the idea of Sheed at center. He is one of those "4 PF's" and I don't like how the Pistons have tried making a PF duo look like a PF and C duo for the past 5 years. It should change next year. Start Sheed at PF and get a real 7 foot center in the middle.

As for the bench I think small ball can work their. J Max, Amir, and Dice in the frontcourt should not be too bad. We will see what happens.