Be Afraid, Be VERY AFRAID

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by explosivity, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Right but it doesn't change anything. Unlike Billups, we couldn't make it happen. We were just passengers on the train. CB was the conductor.

Good concept...team...but the difference between the Brown years and the non-Brown years was a trip to the finals.

2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

It wasn't an egotistical concept though. LB left, so what is Chauncey supposed to do? Is he supposed to just say that this team is done because they don't have a hall of fame coach? He made the right move by saying that the players can still get it done. Have they? Maybe not, but if Chauncey would of said that this team is going to lose because of LB being gone the same thing would of happened.

Right now everybody just wants to find everything wrong with the guy because of his poor performance in the Cleveland series, and his free agency.

LB would of helped a lot by keeping Chauncey under control, but the last 3 years Chauncey has burned out just when the Pistons lose in the playoffs, and 1 of those years was with LB too. Get Chauncey a backup and many of his problems will be solved. Majority of the problems start their, not his ego.

3. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Yeah thats all great and they are better point guards individually but Chauncey is the only one out of the group that has a RING and a FINALS MVP award. That means much more to me than any individual accolade or accomplishment. I look titles, sorry.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

My friend, neither Joe nor I would pay Chaucey for something he did 3 years ago, and we certainly are not too pumped up about paying for that 3 years from now.

Joe is going to pay CB based upon what his value is now and what he thinks he will be worth in a couple years.

5. Darth Tater

At what point does Billups need to take some accountability for what happened? Saying he was tired is just another way of blaming the coach.

You said he burned out when LB was here. He burned out in the second half of game 7 with San Antonio? I don't see what burnout has to do with throwing fancy passes across the entire court which are intercepted by the other team. You had a double digit lead. To me...that cockiness cost us the series.

I hope he stays. Billups is a very good player. But it's not worth signing an older guy to a long term expensive contract when he can't finish the race.

I know, I know...the coach...no backups...:dizzy2:

6. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

7. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Funny, as good as CB has been for this organization I find myself rather ambivilent about the free agent thing, very much unlike I felt about Ben. There are so many options that we can win with or without him, or lose with or without him.

Moving the focus from CB I ask, what are the singular constants coupled with his most successful and unsuccessful periods as a Piston. Freedom to play as he wishes, as dictated by the headcoach. LB was good for CB, tightening the reins of a bucking bronco at first then loosening them as self discipline is mastered. Flip seems to have been like candy. Good and tasty for a while but eventually distructive to the underlying foundation.

8. roscoe36

I think it is important when we're talking about money and from that, endorsements to take into account that Billups has been afforded a lot of marketing opportunities by playing for a consistently upper tier Detroit franchise.

Granted, those aren't paid by the franchise, but from TEAM BILLUPS' perspective,it's necessary to look at the earning potential off the court in places like Milwaukee and Charlotte, two markets that are not big in pro-hoops and do not have the benefit of deep playoff exposure.

@ LP, I would say that a lack of competition (security) has been a constant. Some guys probably don't like or perform well when they feel they are constantly fighting for their job. That seems to be a key thread with the better motivational coaches. They squeeze, but they know that crushing pressure very quickly destroys.

9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Thats a great point 'Scoe. In addition, Billups helped build this legacy. I think he'll move for more money...but it has to be substantially more (endorsements potential included)

10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

After remembering what happened in that game I would say that CB, Dice, and Sheed played poorly because they got a lot of fouls called on them. When Chauncey got back in the game he played bad. Yes a part of that was because of his "ego", but I wouldn't call it that. Chauncey just has confidence in making big shots. Those were some horrible shots he took, but he did not take those shots to become Finals MVP he took those shots for the Pistons to win the NBA championship. That's not ego.

As for him finishing the race...Get him a backup and we will see what happens. Chauncey is not the only one on this team who needs a guy like LB. That's why I want Flip S. out of here.

If Chauncey has this problem than so do many of the other Pistons because all of them have come out with this mentality, so do you get rid of all of them? That would be tough. I say you get tough on them.

Joe D. said he would keep the core here. If things don't work out moves will be made. I think Chauncey should be given the chance to get rid of his gigantic "ego" and if not a move will be made.

11. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Good point. Isn't lack of competition (security) a psudo reward for being a high level performer. Those who excel allow management freedom to allocate resources elsewhere in the roster. ie the purpose for bringing in Mo "Tubesocks" Evans to threaten Delfino but not Rip.

But, if there were ever a time to suspect that Billups is slippin, it's now.

12. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The more time that goes on since the end of the season, the more I'm feeling comfortable about not re-signing CB.
    I'm just feeling not very excited about Piston basketball at the moment - it feels stale.
    If we can get one of those good young point guards with the 15th pick (crittenton or law), I think we could find another veteran guy out there like a steve blake who he can split time with. It might not be some people's cup of tea (win now club), but we aren't even doing that anymore, so I just don't see how not changing this team is going to help us get closer to a championship.
    My enthusiasm for the team would increase dramatically if we were to get an exciting young guy running this team. Someone who can split the seams, get into the paint, run the floor, and more importantly RUN A FRIGGING FAST BREAK PROPERLY!

It might cost us some wins and post-season success for the next couple of years, but at the least the trend would be going upwards, not down in 2 years time.

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Get a good PG in the draft, but keep Chauncey. Joe said that Isiah left just before Lindsey got incorporated with the team, and if he would of stayed a little longer Lindsey would of been A LOT better. I think that they young guy the Pistons get should learn some things from Chauncey, but not the fastbreak of course.;)

14. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yes that makes sense too, but only if CB doesn't get re-signed for mega-bucks. If he does then he will be hard to trade in a couple of years time when our new guy is ready to take over.

15. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Brass ring for you on this one.

16. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Wouldn't that be essentially a non issue because...

Didn't he just sign a lifetime deal with Adidas?

I know there's more to endorsements than just shoes... but not a whole lot else unless you are a MJ/Barkley/Shaq/Pre Rapier Kobe Level star.

17. roscoe36

I'm pretty sure CBill was doing Dodge or some other major car brand commercials during the latter half of the season.

18. Darth Tater

If I remember correctly, Isiah treated Lindsey like a piece of crap. Something about Lindsey coming in to take his job. It really got Hunter off on the wrong foot. I think Hunter really looked up to Zeke growing up, and then he got iced out by him on a veteran team.

I think Joe was being diplomatic.

19. Darth Tater

I think he became a diet pill addict as a result of that trauma! :pound:

20. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Not me. I wanted him to go instead of Ben. Seriously, the biggest way to shake the team up and end up with something different (translation:not so boring and predictable, both on the court and in the playoff results) is to let Chauncey go somewhere else. We're stuck with Flip apparently and truthfully, I would rather see us take a drastic downhill turn than maintain this level of painfully dull and predictable unfolding of the season. Seriously, if we hadn't gotten Chris Webber...and had that little run of proficient, ball moving smart basketball the whole season would have been a write off for me. I can name ten teams that are more fun to watch, and eight of those made it into the playoffs. We don't have to play poor man's Spurs basketball to make it to the playoffs in the East...I say roll the dice and see what we've got without everything running through Chauncey.Hell, it was after he complained about Webber messing up his assists that we started looking slow and static and all iso again.

Just say no to the mutually enabling combo of Flip Saunders and Chauncey Billups. I say dump at least one and preferably both of them.