Be Afraid, Be VERY AFRAID

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by explosivity, Jun 16, 2007.

1. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

There is some speculation that the Bucks have renewed their interest in Chauncey and ready to offer the All-Star mega bucks to lure him from the D. If this happens our fan base will be reduced by at least 25% and we will become a lower tier eastern conf. team in a matter of moments. I hope and pray for our sake that Joe gets this one done! :pray:

The Woelfel World of Sports ยป Bucks' prospect has the Wright stuff
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

If the Pistons lose CB, we will have major problems. After not being able to get a dependable backup point after Arroyo got traded, we would be in a world of hurt...and Joe could be sent scrambling for a replacement ala Nazr. This is a scenario that I've tried to avoid thinking about, but is a real possibility. Also, it would make the Delfino trade damaging for the loss of his ball-handling skills.

I hope Joe has a handle on this.
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

As much as I love his game, it is time for Joe D. to let him go. At his age a long term contract would be a big mistake. As it is he can no longer run with the young deers.

If we resign him we lock ourselves into two more years of bowing out early in the playoffs and then after that it will only get worse.

Time to bite the bullet and and try and trade for as many young studs as possible and head for the lottery for a couple of years and then by 2010 we could have the makings of a young team on the rise.

The Lakers are a perfect example of a team good enough to make the playoffs year in and year out but not good enough to get the top picks necessary to move up and no cap space available to trade for someone to move them up.

Better to bite the bullet and rebuild with the hope of being on top once again in another 3 - 5 years than to be a number 5 to number 8 playoff seed year after year.

Time to let C-Bil, C-Webb go or do a sign and trade if possible. Time to trade Sheed. Time to get rid of all the players over 30 years of age.

:hoops:
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Bucks would basically be investing their entire offseason into this. They can barely muster $12 million in cap room assuming the cap is $55 million as some folks are predicting.

I'm actually surprised they can get that much, but it's true.

Very interesting.
  5. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

That means Mo Williams would be ours for the taking at a cheaper price. :MusicBigGrin: Signing Mo Williams for 7 or 8 million a season would leave us alot of cap room to make a run at Rashard Lewis. It is not the end of the world if Chauncey leaves if we get a legit starter signed and not some bench warming hack that no one wants like Nazr.
  6. roscoe36

If Chauncey leaves, Lindsey retires and and everyone else takes their options, I don't think we have the money to go after Williams, let alone Lewis after that.

Dice would have to decline his option as well.

Assuming the cap is $55 million, we would need to get to $48 million or lower.

As always you can check the salary data linked at the top of the forum.
  7. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Well Roscoe, If Chauncey leaves and we don't get a competent replacement this team will crash into the obyss and Sheed probably will blow a head gasket just before the all star break next season and throttle Flip Saunders. It is a matter of whether Wild Bill wants a winning team or just wants to rape the fans by putting a weak product on the floor that does enough not to embrass, but is not going anywhere.

I don't understand why Davidson wants to be so cheap. He is filthy rich and he is not getting any younger. He is 88 or 89 and if I was him I would be paying luxury tax every year to keep this team on top in order to win as many ships before I kick the bucket.

The old koot can't take it with him!!!:stirthepot:
  8. roscoe36

The only explanation I can come up with WW, is that business is the game he plays and he doesn't like to lose or gamble big and come up empty.

As fans, we get bummed if our guy gets traded, or if they don't sign the guy we want, or don't draft the guy we dream about. But it's still a business. Huge money involved.
  9. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    It is a business. Just ask Mr. Stern.

:hoops:
  10. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

Yep, I agree.

I think he does have a bit of gas left in the tank, but nothing more past the age of 33-34 I'd say, I'm not willing to invest a max contract to someone his age. We didnt give one to Ben, so I cant see why we would give one to Chauncey.

I personally think our first priority should be re-signing Amir.
  11. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

I keep hearing the figure $58 million.
  12. roscoe36

The cap is due for a bump because Stern will be re-negotiating the TV deal(s) and that accounts for around 35% of the cap.
  13. mikhail1973

There will be a bump after this year's crappy finals?
  14. roscoe36

The NBA has the second most lucrative TV deal.

There are only a limited # of properties for the networks to bid on.

You can bet the price is going up. :)
  15. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I hope does not offer CB a Max deal or anything close to it. His performance in the playoffs revealed some major weaknesses.

There are young pg's out there via a S&T that (a slashing, cutting pg) that will fill the role most adequately.

I wouldn't hang my hat on keeping CB, I say if we can, lets get younger. Look at the NBA, a Cb type PG is slowing becoming a relicm we need that Parker type guy desperately.

I know the next question will be, who is out there with CB's talent, don't make me laugh, plenty, PG's are born and made everyday, we just have to find that diamond in the rough, the mold for point guards did not stop after CB was produced.
  16. mikhail1973

I'm still going to ask: could you name a few out of that plenty, please?
  17. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Some other PG's can get to the basket better but CB can run this team on par with a Steve Nash. I don't think Deron or Chris Paul are quite there yet - as good as they are. The best bet is to resign CB and get (draft or trade or sign) a penetrating point guard that we can groom. Crittenton, Law, Devon Harris...
  18. mikhail1973

I guess I should add - who is out there that we could possibly get could match CB at this point? I'd love to have Deron or Parker or Paul per se. But they are not going anywhere, so the point is moot. (no pun intended). We have to resign CB and draft someone who could develop into top-notch PG. That I have to agree with.
  19. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

It is not neccessarily a question of talent all of the time. It is a question of chemistry, history of play, and reliability. Okay, we did see CB have a bad Cleveland series but to not resign the guy and HOPE that someone else (one which you have not named) can come in here and maintain the same level of Piston Basketball over the past 5 seasons is almost impossible at this point. If we choose not to resign CB, I dont want to hear and %%%%%ing, pissing and moaning about how we should have kept him and all that. If Joe wants to stay competitive over the next 3 years he will do whatever it takes to resign this guy. My opinion, feel free to disagree. And to those of you who think that keeping Amir is a higher priority, I ask you what has this guy done to make him a higher priority than CB. Sorry, but very laughable.

:pound:
  20. mikhail1973

:p_welldone: