Bball Philosophy - How would you build the "perfect team"

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, May 19, 2013.

1. max

max All-Star

Have the league pass a special rule allowing your team to draft any 5 players from any other team and renegotiate their salaries to fit under the cap. Thats how you do it.
  2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You would make one savvy GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

I didn't realize how fun this thread was going to be.. I want to change-up the format a little bit..

IF YOU WERE A SMALL-MARKET NBA GM, HOW WOULD YOU BUILD YOUR TEAM???

#1) Talent acquisition (general). No matter how you're going to build your team, if you want to win an NBA championship, you're probably going to need at least two super-star-level players. The 03/04 Pistons team didn't have a single "super-star," true; but they did have four top-20-ish-level players - - - and IMO, that's something that's even harder to acquire. For a small-market team (like Detroit), free-agency is going to provide nothing more than table scraps (hidden gems are rare). It should be relied on as nothing more than a role-player resource. Most NBA GM's get at least three seasons. If I'm a small-market NBA GM, I'm tanking and getting the #1 pick odds in each of my first two seasons. If there's one area where I'm going to spare no expense, it's going to be in my scouting department. I'm going to identify the top scouts across the league, and I'm going to give them whatever it takes (/whatever I can) to get them. I'm going to roll the dice and hope that I can get a super-star big man and a super-star perimeter player in my first two drafts. I'm then going to surround them in the starting lineup - and on the bench, for that matter - with players who are A) great defenders and rebounders for their position; B) great outside shooters that spread the court out; and C) "Bad Boy" attitudes (we all know what I mean there). I'm then going to bring in one hell of a veteran coach to lead them (*if I was a small-market NBA GM right now, there's no hesitation: Larry Brown).

#2) Ideals.
    ...Super-star Big Man. Hopefully, this will be someone who's a great interior scorer. Someone who has a great back-to-the-basket game. Someone who can hit a mid-range shot. Someone who's great in the pick-and-roll game. Someone who can pass out of the post. Even better, someone who can handle the ball a little bit. Hopefully, he's also someone who's a great interior defender and rebounder. Someone who's big, strong and athletic enough to challenge, alter and block a lot of shots (an intimidator); and also to rebound.
    ...Super-star Perimeter Player. He needs to be able to penetrate and break defenses down. He needs to be able to find open men. He needs to be able to get to the rim (and free-throw line). He needs to be able to hit pull-up jumpers. Hopefully, he's at least an average defender.

*If I took over for a small-market NBA team three seasons ago, right now I'd have Irving and Drummond (or at least Lillard and Vucevic), 10 role players (as mentioned, via free agency, trades, late picks), and Larry Brown; and I might still be playing. *I guess I'd probably have a nice 3rd player too (assuming I didn't take over for a great, retiring GM). Perhaps I had a lotto pick and snagged Paul George.

C: A. Drummond or N. Vucevic
    PF: *Shooter/Defender/Rebounder*
    SF: *Shooter/Defender/Rebounder*
    SG: P. George
    PG: K. Irving or D. Lillard
    Bench: *Shooters/Defenders/Rebounders*
    HC: L. Brown
    Slippy likes this.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Have you changed the format rules for this thread topic? I may have missed it.
  5. blueadams

Buddy. You have taken rude personal shots at me in about 50 posts now. I have not responded negatively to any.

I do not like you.

Please find something better to do with your 'valuable' time than carefully reading and responding to every single thread I start (especially since they are all so abhorable to you).
  6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bill is not a good person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Thread stealing is something all these guys master.
    Are you new to the web Blu ?
    I would start with a 6'2" 200 lb. Point Guard that has shown he can run the point. Size matters.
    then a Rip Hamilton type shooter would work well
    then a SF that can slash and get his own shot.
    PF that has a soft touch around the rim on O and jump through the roof on D.
    Center with offensive game.
    only 1 wolfeman in this league [Bron]
    Just remember that BDL stole the thread. he has avatar issues. the rest were willingly inconsiderate. I'm glad I didn't lose 90 min. of my life watching that movie.
    Nemo and linwood like this.
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...Guilty.
    I appologize.

Offense is glamorous & defense is not.
    As a "non-glamorous" destination, the bidness model for Detroit should be scrappy, defensive players who value being efficient over being exciting on offense.

...and you're a little bit off on your Wolf assesment Thee
    The only two teen wolves in the NBA right now are Nate-Rob and Will Bynum.
    Nemo and linwood like this.
  9. blueadams

He's alright lol
  10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...disagree.
    Nemo, coynejeremy and round like this.
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Bill is that guy who digs holes in the desert just to find the bodies you buried there. I mean he doesn't even know who the guy you drove out there in the dead of night is. He just gets a shovel out and starts digging. Next thing you know, we'll be seeing threads from EasyBuckets.

Small market teams need two things: a very good top 3 caliber pick and a 2nd round phenom. Every team gets talent in the mid-late lottery and a few get good guys in the middle 1st round. The kicker is the superstar...Isiah Thomas, Tim Duncan AND the 2nd rounder guy who makes all-star teams: Rodman, Ginobli. The other picks and stuff will work itself out. you'll get good players but in the talent arms race you need those two things to tip the edge.

Scouting is key. Moneyball and advanced stats. I'd try to find a way to capture all of that. Then have a system in place that is coach agnostic to develop those kids. I think the days of saying: "Go develop your game and come back here" are over. Old guard GMs who played have the 'you got to earn it' mentality but you are talking strip-mined talent pools. If the guy has the athletic and mental make up to the point you will spend a selection on him over 100 others, you should have a system to turn that asset into something. If not you are tossing seeds out into the field and hope a tree grows eventually.
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

So... you're saying you would get a computer?

[​IMG]
    Slippy likes this.
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm not sure that Detroit really qualifies as a Small Market team. Sure, it's not LA, New York, Chicago or Houston, but it's a much bigger market than Miami, OKC, Indiana, Denver, Memphis, and San Antonio, all of which made the playoffs. In fact, Detroit is in the top 1/3 of all media markets that have an NBA team.

Top 100 Television Markets - Station Index

I don't think the size of the market really correlates with the quality of the team. I think the best way to build a successful team is to have top notch talent at every position. Having a few future Hall-of-Famers in their prime also helps.

Outside of that model, I prefer the defense first dominant frontcourt model of the 2004 Pistons, current Grizzlies and Pacers, and Spurs of the last decade or so. I don't really think there is one successful way to go. Once a team or two has success with one model, another team finds a way to beat it, and the game starts again.
    Slippy likes this.
  14. Slippy

No an i-pad. Where you been the last 2 years?
  15. Slippy

I think any team can attract top talent. The ones they can't attract are transcendent players - guys who are so marketable, endorsement options dwarf the already huge max contracts.
    linwood likes this.
  16. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Don't park your car in front of his house.............:cold:
  17. max

max All-Star

With the tougher lux tax I don't know how much of an advantage large markets have any more. If you don't have the cap to sign a player then you can't make an offer. Teams like NY won't be able to go 10's of millions into lux tax anymore. A sharp GM who can see several moves ahead is so crucial now.

In building a team, you also need a certain amount of luck. Drawing a top 3 pick in a draft with a legit superstar ( what if SA never drafted Duncan because they did not get the ping pong ball to fall ) . Having Drummond fall down to #8 so you can draft him. Having the right FA avail at just the right time.
  18. blueadams

I should have said "non-free agent destination."
  19. blueadams

Maybe he doesn't want the public to see his human side, lol, but he did send me a nice apology message.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  20. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

We need a BillLaimbeer depreciation thread.
    BillLaimbeer and round like this.