Bball Philosophy - How would you build the "perfect team"

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, May 19, 2013.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

This is going to be a bit of a rant. But I think about this stuff all the time. I'd like to put my opinions out there, and in return, hear the board's as well.

C: The most important things at this position, to me, are: #1) Great low-post defender. Someone who challenges, alters and blocks a lot of shots. A true intimidator. #2) Great rebounder. Someone who boxes out like it's a religion to secure defensive rebounds; and also someone who's able to steal some offensive rebounds as well. #3) Great pick-and-roll player. Someone who can finish alley-oops, who can convert close shots, and who can hit some mid-range shots as well. If you've got someone with a reliable back to the basket game, or who can put the ball on the floor a little bit - - even better. Best in-league example: D. Howard.

PF/SF/SG: At these three positions, I essentially want the same thing. #1) All three have to be great outside shooters, stretching out the court. #2) All three must have the size, strength and athleticism to guard their positions in the league. Best in-league examples: PF: L. James. SF: K. Durant. SG: J. Harden.

PG: I want a guy here, of course, who's able to guard his position. But more importantly, this guy needs to be a serious penetrator and distributor. Someone who really takes care of the ball well and doesn't waste positions. Someone who sees the game well and knows where to go with the ball. Someone who really excels in a pick-and-roll role. Best in-league example: PG: C. Paul.

2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

My super stud team would be
    C - Marc Gasol /DHo
    PF - LBJ/KLove
    SF - KD/Paul George
    SG - Harden/Kobe
    PG - Rondo/Paul

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Put 5 of the best players in the world on your team. That is a great strategy.

linwood likes this.
  4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well noone has done it yet. Maybe blue's on to something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Panda

There are pretty much two overarching strategies.

Big interior guy surrounded by shooters (DHo Magic model)

Slashers on the wings combined with pick and pop big men.

blueadams likes this.
  6. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

My bench is my foundation:

Drummond
    Chaz
    Daye
    Singler
    Bynum

Don't really care about starters.

TheeTFD likes this.
  7. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

Style wise I would try and create a squad that makes life as difficult as possible at all times for your opponent.
    A high pressure defense along with a high pressure offense but that doesn't mean just jacking up shots at every opportunity.
    Players who are able to defend one on one as much as possibe to avoid double teaming.
    I also want players who play like they are always juiced up on red bull and never take plays off. That alone drives other players to despair.

C - a high energy defender who can block shots, rebound strongly, defend and score (think Joakim Noah)
    PF - an inside outside scorer / rebounder who plays tough defense and runs the floor (think KG in his prime)
    SF - another tough defender who finds open areas on the floor on offense for backdoor plays and open 3's in the corners (Bruce Bowen with better offense)
    SG - a screener/shooter who tires out his opponent with constant movement and a great jump shot + 3pt range (Reggie Miller with defense)
    PG - a guard who is always probing for openings on offense and is always in your face on D (think Rondo with a jump shot)

Offensively you have your main options at the PF and SG positions, a lead guard who will keep everyone else involved, a centre to can score when required but will mostly be involved in putbacks and dunks and a SF who is always looking for an opening behind the main offense in order to stop the defense from double teaming.

Slippy likes this.
  8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'd go neo-classical basketball:

PF/C either one would be a back to the basket low post player with good rebounding and decent shot blocking. Tim Duncan or Yao Ming
    PF/C If C then a opportunistic scorer with shot blocking and rebounding. If PF then a versatile scorer. Larry Johnson Mark Aguirre

SF defender a la Rodman or Iggy
    SG someone who can shoot.
    PG one of those 6'5" guys I really like except that they don't suck or have freak leg accidents.

Mostly, I really like a scoring front line...especially really versatile Johnson, Barkley, Aguirre type guys you don't see too often.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Defense first with an unspectacular playoff style offense and a great coach that tests/ challenges the players all year long. I.e. I guess I'd go the Memphis, Indiana, '04 Pistons model.

It's so easy to make the playoffs and if you're a great team, HCA should matter until the ECF. So, I'd sacrifice regular season wins for a team built to thrive in the very different dynamic of the post season.

The beauty of this model is that you can get the players for cheaper, you can get them to play beyond their capabilities within a system, and less guys get bid up in FA because other teams are skeptical that they just thrived in our system.

I'd also tend to go against the grain and modern NBA trends, again so that you're not bidding on the same guys that everyone else is bidding up. If power centers are out of style, then go after a guy like Pekovic. Gotta do something different or get lucky in the salary cap environment, especially when you're a franchise in Detroit. Following the herd will not work... which is what frustrated me about JD's post Championship strategy. It was much too typical and resulted in overpayment for 2nd tier offensive talents.

Walter likes this.
  10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

There is a massive sense of entitlement when you win a title.

11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

As a GM, you have to adjust your strategy based on what you have. If you inherit a team with a superstud center, you then build the rest of the team accordingly. If you have a defense-first PG who can't shoot like Rondo, you gotta have a really reliable SG of SF. The ideal strategy is being smart enough to recognize what you have and know what additional pieces you need to add to that in order to be successful.

One unchanging requirement in today's NBA is to have a good FT shooting team, regardless of the overall strategy.

12. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Sign 5 werewolves (no need for subs).
    82-0 in the regular season.
    16-0 in the playoffs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

linwood and coynejeremy like this.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

With only 1 basketball in play at any point in time, 1 werewolf is enough. You can save money by filling the rest of the roster with overweight actors.

14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Actually, having more than 1 werewolf may create chemistry issues. You can't underestimate the value of overweight actors.

15. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

I see that we're getting sort of technical here..

Salary Cap is 58.0 mil. Max Salaries are: 13.7mil (0-6 years), 16.4mil (7-9 years), 19.1mil(10+ years). So, there's still room to sign 3 max players, and if I was a general manager in an ideal world, that's exactly what I'd do.

The first contract would go to LeBron. There's no point in explaining the reasoning there.

The second contract, I think, would go to the best big-man in the game. I'd still give that nod to Dwight Howard. Horrible, horrible season. But he's still probably the best defensive big man in the game. He's one of the better rebounders in the game. And, as pathetic as this is, he's one of the better low-post scorers in the game. Marc Gasol is close. This gives LeBron a great low-post scoring option to go to. A great pick-and-roll partner. A big help defensively. And a good rebounder too.

The third contract, I think, would go to the best outside shooter in the game, to help spread out the court for LeBron, and to give him a great kick-out option. I think I'd go with Steph Curry. Ball-dominant point guards (like CP3) aren't really a great option, as the ball should be in LeBron's hand. Studs with similar skill-sets to LeBron (like Durant) aren't really a great option either. I think I'd go with Curry.

Then I'm just going over the cap to fill out the roster with great outside shooting/great defender combos. MLE. LLE. Minimum Exceptions. Draft Picks. It's not hard to find guys cheap who can fill it from outside and guard their position decently.

C: D. Howard
    PF:
    SF: L. James
    SG:
    PG: S. Curry

16. The Panda

Between Curry (11m), Ho (19m) and LBJ (16m), that gives you 12m + MLE to fill out the roster.

JJ Redick (6m) + Larry Sanders (2m) fills your starters.

JR Smith (3m) 6th man. MLE will give you one last good player. Shane Battier will take minimum. Thats an 8 man rotation which would contend

17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Now this discussion is getting interesting. Building a team within realistic limitations.

18. BallDon'tLie

Your point is extremely short-sighted TaS.

If you deploy one werewolf, it's inevitable that another team is going to find a coach that can get two werewolves to play together.
    Eventually, another team will find a way to add a third werewolf creating a "big-3" situation similar to what we are currently seeing in Miami.
    Adding a 4th werewolf would top this model only to be trumped by the savvy GM who is able to manipulate the salary cap to field an entire starting lineup of 5 werewolves.

It's a situation not unlike the 1950s era of the nuclear arms race where the balance of power continued to escalate between Russia & the United States.

...Have a nice day.

linwood and BillLaimbeer like this.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

For the love of gilgamesh, I think y'all are under appreciating the role of the coach in teen wolf. if Bobby Finstock wouldn't have ignored Scotty's attempt to quit the team, Wolfie never would have had the breakout game and his philosophies put the team at ease: "hey, it doesn't matter how you play the game, it's whether you win or lose... and even that doesn't make all that much difference." He had the locker room command of a Flip Saunders combined with the experience of a Michael Curry and the pizzazz of a John Kuester.

TEEN WOLF - Coach Bobby Finstock - YouTube

20. BallDon'tLie

Bobby Finstock ...leader of men and wolf!