Austin Daye - Welcome to Detroit!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 25, 2009.

1. rip_city

rip_city First Round Draft Pick

Im glad we tood Daye...he was the best player left on the board and I feel he will be a solid player for us in the future. Some people seem to think posting the same 2 negative things about him is going to make him sound worse than the first 3 people that said he is too thin and he might not be able to cover a 3 because he isnt the quickest and cant cover a 4 becasue he lacks strength. I think he will be a 3 for us. Anyways lets talk about some of the good things he brings to the table. He is the best shooter in this class besides Curry and he is 6'10. He is a capable ball handler and can take people of the dribble. He has great length with a 7'4 wingspan and he is a good shot blocker...had 70 last year which is good in college. He probably should have stayed in college another year as many people believe he would have dominated next year and elevated his stock which means maybe we stole him at 15 actually.
  2. max

max All-Star

Thats what I have been reading - that he should have stayed in College another year. Can't blame this though, if you blow out a knee or something then forget about it.

At #15 you can usually find a solid guard but they all went early in this draft and thats not what we needed anyway.

With a front court guy at #15 I think you have to make a choice. Either draft an undersized more established player who will most likely be nothing more than a perpetual bench player - or roll the dice and see what happens.

His main knock is weight but you can always put on weight. Put him on a strength program and see what he can gain in the next 4 months before camp starts. He could be ready to go a lot earlier than some think. Or he busts out and we have to go out and sign what we would could have drafted with the MLE some year. At least they don't have to lie about his height as with Amir.
  3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's right - AND he's still growing...:stirthepot:
  4. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

Samb put on quite a bit of weight I think from the time we drafted him to today. 30 pounds maybe? maybe a little more? He looked decently beefy last summer league...
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Wasn't Acker supposed to be a really good shooter?
  6. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Dudes, seriously. I heard Joe D tried and tried to get rid of this pick. Couldn't do it, so there we have the BPA. Doesn't mean he'll make it on the squad still. Where's last years picks??
  7. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

I think all of our draft picks were supposed to be really good somethings.
  8. max

max All-Star

Samb also had to put on some talent as well. Day is supposed to already be able to do some things from what I hear. Never saw him play in college though.
  9. rip_city

rip_city First Round Draft Pick

Seen Daye play a few times and he has a good game...he does get banged around a little but hell if he weighed more he would have been a top 10 pick for sure...reason he fell was his weight. He has the ability to get to the rim but he isnt the best finisher because he gets knocked around right now due to his lack of strength. He can post up though and play with his back to the basket and also as most know he can shoot it very well and has great range. He has a little fade on his shot and couple that with his long length his shots are are VERY tough to block. At 15 this is a great pick because his ceiling is so high. Also he isnt as bad as everyone seems to think on defense and his length also helps him bother shots and he is a solid shot blocker.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

No. Smooth, long player with good handles.
  11. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

I think Joe should have gone with a PG that could have contributed off the bench this year, such as Lawson, Maynor or Teague. Or he could have gone with James Johnson at SF who also could have contributed immediately.

Instead, we have to wait around for 2 or 3 years for Daye to bulk up, just like we waited around for Darko and Amir to mature, only to have them dumped right when they were finally ready to contribute, after Joe invested many years and millions of dollars to develop them.

And why did Joe dump Budinger? And what's up with the Swedish guy?
  12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

nice to see you around murph
  13. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Very good point, I don't think we'll ever see that type of basketball being played in the NBA again.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In 2003, you could have said that anyone looking to rebuild the badboys would be disappointed because that style of basketball was not allowed anymore. That would have been true, but we did come up with a way to be the best defensive team in the league in 2004, just with a cleaner style.

Defense never goes out of style. We may not be able to hold teams to 69 points consistently, but it would be nice if we could still strive to be the best defensive team possible in the new NBA. Curry was supposed to bring a defensive mindset back to the team afterall.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

And then they top it off by bringing in guys who won't thrive under the new offensive rules.
  16. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I know a knock on him is his size but he is about the same size as Bosh was when he was drafted. Could he be the next Chris Bosh and would you want him to be?
  17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Dumars and the Pistons cannot afford for this draft class to be a bust

18. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Phase One Complete: What The Pistons Draft Says About The Future | Bleacher Report

19. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

This is all predicated on being competative this year. Sure we'll be competative...for 3 quarters! Then we'll lose game after game en route to the lottery.
    Look at the perfect storm...young talent pool not ready for prime time...crap coach to kick out for a dismal season...big wad of cash for a good FA pool in 2010...toss in a high lottery pick and you're locked and loaded for the next 5 years.

You'd have to be a fool to over pay for a 2nd tier starter when next year you got legitimate shots at 1st tier talent.
  20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Co-signed!