Atlanta Nov 4 7:30PM

Discussion in 'November 2007' started by max, Oct 29, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Atrocious first half.

Murray returned to his normal self. Couldn't run the offense and couldn't guard Law. Flip needs to get this guy out of the lineup.

Nazr 4 useless minutes.

No one to block out Horford on the glass.

Unfortunately I think that this is going to be the rotation until Hot Rod returns which at that time will at least get Murray out of the rotation. I think AJ will need an injury by one of the other bigs to get any real minutes.

Some of our guys played a decent first half, in particular Rip and some real hustle play by Maxey.

Bottom line, terrible.

Hopefully we will do better the second half

:hoops:
  2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I didn't see any of the first half, but I did see the great comeback in the 4th quarter. Pretty much everyone who was in there contributed to the 32-point final period: JMax and Flip near the beginning of the quarter, then Rip, CB, Jarvis hitting a couple of big shots, Dice keying some big plays, Tay scoring as well. Pistons almost blew it in the final minute, letting Johnson hit two straight threes and then Sheed leaving his feet to give Josh Smith 3 FTs to tie the game, but then we got exactly what the doctor ordered on the final possession: CB driving to the rim, drawing the foul, and hitting the game-winning FT. Close call, but a win is a win.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The middle 2 Qs were regular old stodgy Pistons basketball. Much lower tempo.

I stand by my question, that we might need to move one of our perimeter starters to the bench.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons did tonight what they have done in their first two games...shut down the opposition in the 4th qtr. The difference this time is that they were behind to start the 4th and really needed to shut down the Hawks and then score themselves.

The Pistons looked listless out there in the 2nd and 3rd qtrs and were lucky to be in striking distance when the 4th started. They were getting outhustled and the Hawks were shooting cover 50% in the third quarter. With J-Max leading the way to begin the 4th, the Pistons mounted a comeback with their second unit on the floor (plus Rip) and once they got the lead, Flip sr brought back in most of his starters to close out the game. Rip fouled out shortly there afterwards, but Pistons built a six point lead 88-82 with 1:38 left in the game and I posted in the chat room that the first team to 90 would win. Well most of us thought the game was over, but two 3 pointers by Joe Johnson and BS call for 3 ft by Josh Smith and lo and behold, we were tied:frusty:

Well finally Flip draws up a play that he could have run for the past 2 seasons: drive to the hoop and see if CB get's bailed out like Kobe, AI, Magic, Wade, Jordan and Rumeal Robinson:), have done a thousand times and win the game at the line...afterall, you have been in the top 5 FT% wise the last six years...Last year this play would have been some ill advised 3 point bomb:sssh:, that would have missed and we would be in OT.

I will wait for the official Leecap and Hogblog for the in game excitement!!!
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Atlanta is going to be very good. We all know that Woodson is competent and now he has some real horses on that team. Gotta find out when they play Golden State, that'll be fun to watch.

This team is deep and versatile, Flip is going to have to burn the midnight oil this season. There are so many possibilities with this team that it's scary, Flip is going to really have to do an outstanding coaching job this year, especially if Stuckey and Amir can deliver what of what we overhyped-up pistons forum fans expect.
  7. Asterix

Asterix Second Round Draft Pick

Pistons bench is looking good this year. Jarvis Hayes impresses the most. Does he remind anyone of Corliss Williamson? He just looks like he means business out there, like Corliss did for this team. Plus he scores from the post, which this team needs, as Sheed is too inconsistent and tempermental. R. Flip Murray...what an enigma this guy is. Some nights he shows extreme talent, other nights (like tonight) he can't stop dribbling the ball off his foot. JMaxx...I worry about this guy. I think he needs to turn it down a notch to be more effective and avoid injury. He's at 120% all the time...missing dunks, hitting the floor, busting his hands up...dude is gonna wear himself out or get hurt. McDyess playing great defense but not much else...guess he is adjusting to being a starter...Lil Bo Peep on offense. I sooo wish he would start driving to the basket.

I liked the flow of the games when Tayshaun was being more aggressive and scoring like he was with Rip out...good things always happen when Tayshaun is aggressive. He's a wild card imo...he needs to play big this year. He could be a top 10 player if he played to his potential consistently. Not impressed with Sheed's 'new attitude' thus far...same old inconsistent player. I think he's the best defensive player we have, but offensively nonchalant and detrimental teamwise.
  8. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Everything looked good from the beginning until the subs came into the game. Murray was his usual erratic self, Nazr couldn't keep up, and Hayes couldn't hit his shots. The starters returned but couldn't stop the snowball effect and the deficit kept growing. Also, they didn't play good D allowing Atlanta uncontested layups and wide-open shots. The defense got better in the second half, but offense was stagnant. Then for some reason when Hayes and Murray came into the game (less Nazr) for the second time they played a lot better. They gave the main guys the rest and closed the gap somewhat. Then the starters came in and finished the deal. Everything started with playing D. That got the offense going as well. J-Max was the guy who kept the Pistons reasonably close with his boards and blocked shots and chipped in offensively as well.
    Things I didn't like:
    - when reserves came in in the first half the offense just stalled
    - Tay played too many minutes in the 1st half and his shots were coming up short
    - Sheed shot a bit too fast instead of taking his time while posting up
    - Dyess was useless on the offense in the first half
    Things I did like:
    - The D was good in the 4th
    - JMax made another case for more playing time
    - Starters ended up with more manageable minutes than I've expected after the 1st half
    - Hayes looked good playing with starters, I think that's where his main strength is going to be since if he's on the court with starters he's not going to be heavily guarded
    - Murray played a lot more under control in the 2nd half and contributed
    - The final play - a drive to the basket instead of a forced 3-pointer (looks like Pistons are learning after all)

Pistons ended up with 1 more point than Hawks and it's all that matters. I just hope that starters will get their minutes reduced a bit.
  9. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Totally agree.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I wish people would realize that Sheed is not, never has been, and never will be an offensive force. I know it's frustrating because he has soooo much talent- but that's just not his game. Sheed is at his best when scoring 13-17pts. Tonight dude was just OFF, but he was clearly one of our better defensive players on the floor tonight, as per usual.

This is a game where Tay and Sheed were flat out OFF!!! Chauncey's shot and decision making were suspect at best tonight. Now that's 3 of our 5 starters not on top of their offensive game tonight and another (Dyess) playing like a scared little u-no-wut on the offensive end for 3.75 qtrs. And we're playing a team that for the last two seasons have been giving us fits and L's. But we won, I know some are mad we didn't blow out a lottery team. I am seeing a win that we would not have gotten at all last season. I am seeing how playing a young'n, adding a new young'n (Hayes) and playing the bench helped us get this win. 4/5's of the starters playing shaky and we still win, that's what depth and youth will do for you.
  11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Nice first post, Asterix, welcome to the board.

Jarvis does look good, but I wouldn't expect much post scoring from him. He scored down low tonight when he was matched up with the miniscule Tyronn Lue. It was good to see, and Hayes did the right thing when the chances were there--take advantage of the smaller defender by posting him up--but I don't think he'll get opportunities like that very often.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Talk about a coaching blunder, 6'8" vs 5'11", just give us 2pts why dont'cha. But it was good to see Hayes, who is primarily a jump shooter, very eager to take a little one into the post and punish him.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

My daughter is now 25-0. She still has not attended a Piston loss in the regular season. (The only loss she has been to was in the 2004 finals, but we won the series.)

Good to see lots of writeups already posted. I always read what everyone posted before doing my report. No look at the boxscore though -this is from my memory, which is fading after a long trip home. Man, what happened to Sunday 6pm starts?

The Pistons came out with lots of energy, often running, and often scoring on a fast break. That was mostly Tay and Rip running together. I heard the stat on the way home, 20 fast break points, a lot for a Piston team.

Our starters had a 20-10 lead, and the soon after that, the bench came in. What a disaster. Flip could stay in front of nobody, and with guys like "I absolutely will not move" Mohammed behind him it was pure disaster. Hayes was in there too and we really needed someone quicker. Prince was running the point, and JMAX was in there. But as good as Prince and JMAX are on D, thats only two players. Not enough. Not hardly.

Saunders made an adjustment in the 2nd half. No Mohammed, who was in the game why? There is no Shaq on Atlanta last I checked. And he rested Rip early, bringing him on with the 2nd unit to start the 4th quarter. Our bench, with Murray, Rip, Hayes, Dyess, and JMAX did just fine in the 2nd half. They started with a deficit and pretty much tied it up at one point.
    For the game, Murray was part of some success in the 2nd half, but he was a turnover machine, either by bad shots, or just fumbling the ball away. At least though he was mostly fumbling the ball while being aggressive toward the basket. At least he was just not wasting time dribbling. Still, can't say he had much of any kind of game tonight. Six points.

Dyess did not score in the first half. Nor shoot the ball as I recall anyway. But he gave up quite a few points inside by not getting over fast enough. He made a couple of buckets in the 2nd half, gave up some more points inside. He did get a lot of rebounds though. And for the game, instead of shooting he was generally trying to work around the basket, or making a pass inside. His presence around the basket was positive, and he should do that more.

Hayes hit no outside shots tonight, but came up big in the 2nd half posting up around the basket. This included a huge bucket posting up Lue in crunch time and another basket a moment or two later. He also had a fast break score. Hayes ended up playing nearly all the 4th quarter. He went out for just a moment if favor of Tay with about 4 minutes to go in the game, but Rip fouled out right then and back in he came. So here we were with Tay in the backcourt with Billups, Hayes at small forward, Dyess and Sheed for the bigs. It worked well enough for a one point win.

With the score tied, Billups drives in and gets a call. I guarantee you, that call has not went Billups way too often when we needed it. But it did tonight. Atlanta had no time outs, so Billups made one, and maybe (I assume) missed the 2nd, starting the clock with I think 1.7 seconds left and the ball right under our basket. No way they could get the ball down the floor for a decent shot. I think they ended up shooting a late and way off target midcourt shot.
    For the game, Billups did hit some outside shots, but he sure kept up the theme of going inside early and often just like the first two games. Got to love it. About 22 points?
    Rip? What can you say. Just automatic tonight on his midrangers, and man can he run the open court. 21 points. (Got this from the post game show driving home.)

Tay was not as aggressive this game. But hey, with Rip lighting it up, what can you expect. Plus its his 3rd game in 4 nights, all fairly heavy minutes. Still, he scored in transition, made some shots from the outside, and helped guard their star. (Joe Johnson. But Rip did most of that.)

Afflalo played briefly, about 3 minutes. He took and missed one very contested shot on a catch and shoot spotting up. Not much else to say, except, no I can't believe he could have done any worse than Murray if he had gotten those minutes.

JMAX was the star of this game really. 15 points, 4 blocks, 8 rebounds, and at least 7 times where he helped get us a 2nd shot by fighting for the board (This includes his several offensive rebounds, a couple of taps to teammates, and being right there under the basket helping a teammate by boxing out for him) I don't know the count, but we had to have slaughtered them on 2nd chance points, and that was mostly JMAX. JMAX did not hit an outside shot. He shot just 1-2 at the line. Everything he did pretty much was post up moves. Pretty awesome stuff.

Sheed posted up enough for my liking. I don't think he hit a three out of a few tries. Some good D, but just not nearly as spectacular as JMAX.

Amir did not play. Yes, he should have. Thats a DNP for Amir for no reason at all. I do not like it.

Samb is the guy that did not dress. Dupree did not play. Hunter did not play.
    GO PISTONS!!!!! 3-0
  14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good writeup, Lee. I thought it would be good strategy for Billups to miss the second free throw intentionally. In an interview after the game, though, Chauncey said he was trying to make it.
  15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We would have lost this game the last two years. Clearly, this team is going to be deep.

Sheed has to be the most underated defensive player in the league.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yeah, it looked pretty darn close to going in. I was sitting directly behind the basket, in the upper bowl (4th row). So I was looking thru the glass. The reason I thought it might be intentional is that it barely crawled out, giving Atlanta the longest possible distance to the other end. But if that was an intentional miss, Billups would have to be one darn accurate free throw tosser. Oh, he is. Well, maybe he was trying, but maybe he did not really care if it went in.
  17. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I wasn't able to see the game, but was just checking out the box score and a few things jumped out at me:

Dice only had 2 FG attempts in 28 minutes. Ouch. [SARCASM]Way to be assertive there big guy.[/SARCASM]

[SARCASM]Nice stat line from Nazr.[/SARCASM] It's pretty bad when Super DNP has a better stat line than you. Granted, Dupree didn't play in the game, but he didn't go 0-1 with a tech, turnover and foul in 4 minutes either.

Nice to see the "undersized" J-Max was able to get 4 blocks and 8 boards. I'll take hustle and heart over height any day of the week. (See Darko "Tin Man" Milicic)

It's nice to have our sharp shooter back. I'll take 10 of 15 with 5 dimes and 4 boards from Rip any night.
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I was wondering about Amir as well. Perfect game to put him in. I hope it's a case of his still recovering from the injury.
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Also, all Piston games that were broadcast on LEAGUE Pass via Fox Sports Net are rebroadcast at 2AM EST (which is 11PM for us out west.) on the Fox Sports Detroit channel (636 FSD on Direct Tv.) The game replay just started for those who missed it earlier and can find their FSN.. normally this channel would be blocked out for us non FSN out of market folks.
  20. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I slowly start to doubt FlipM is going to find a way to keep the starters minutes (except Dyess' minutes) low this season.