1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Away Atlanta Hawks Wednesday Dec 26 2012

Discussion in 'December 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The 4th quarter didn't happen.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

11 rebounds, no turnovers, an eFG of .667, and a go-ahead last minute contested 3-pointer?

He had as many buckets as Knight, Singler, and Maxiell combined in their 59 minutes on the court.

You're harder to impress than the Dad on Wonder Years.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Guys like Daye are a dime a dozen in the NBA. He's not even an Amir Johnson quality player, that is, legendary 7th man status in Toronto.

I dislike Daye and other inferior players like him. I can't get behind post hoc validation of a stats line for a guy who has no business being on an NBA roster.

Did he have a nice game? Sure, by his standards, this will probably be the greatest game of the year for him. And that should tell us everything we need to know about Austin Daye.

KGREG likes this.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with your dime a dozen comment. I'm sure there are literally hundreds of guys rotting on NBA benches, playing in the NBDL, or playing in Europe, that could put up some decent stats if they were given the minutes in a system tailored to their talents.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't really look down my nose at any NBA players. Ben Wallace could have easily never made it into the association and we wouldn't know the difference.

Here is my outlook on Daye-
    He is an extremely rare combination of height and shooting ability.
    That creates mismatches galore if we play him at SG or even SF... maybe positive, maybe negative.
    With a defensive stopper behind him, that mismatch gets minimized when we're on defense and still exists when we're on offense. We have the stopper.

We just broke down the man's body for a year to put him through a workout routine that only Dennis Rodman has ever completed. We joke about it a lot, but that is a commitment to long term improvement with obvious short term detrimental effects on shooting touch. He appears tougher physically and mentally to me know having gone through it. Kander obviously has invested a lot of time into his development and the organization has had him going on 4 years now. I just want to see what we have after all that.

If he's terrible, I'm OK with that. But I want to see him stink up the joint with a real sample size. Last year, his biggest strength either left him, or was taken away from him by the body building. If that was the real Daye, then I want him nowhere near the team. This year he is shooting .667 from 3-point land. If that's the real Daye, Team USA should want him. Obviously he is somewhere in between and I just want to see where he stabilizes.

This is exactly how I feel about everybody on the roster. Let's use the season to figure out who these mystery men are that are getting paid millions of dollars to be practice dummies.

copper likes this.
  6. roscoe36

I'd be ok with this, if he wasn't a 3rd year player who has managed to break the rotation for the last 2 games.

As far as his workout routine, he actually looks skinnier than Tay when they stand side-by-side and we know what a beast Tay is...

7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I don't care if he gets or got bigger. Kevin Durant, Rip and Kevin Garnett are all thin guys, but they're strong. Daye is still WEAK. In 3 years he's still WEAK and that's an issue, sometimes it's just not in the cards.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  8. roscoe36

Please tell me you're not comparing Austin Daye after two games to Ben Wallace, a 4 time DPOY.

Ben is a once in a generation player.

This is a guy who isn't even our 8th man.

9. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I get what hes saying...kinda... Ben was a guy that didnt really blossom until someone took a chance on him. he played college but didnt awe anyone and even once he got into the league didnt blow people sox off. Once he was played for what he was is when he exploded. He wasnt asked to do anything but defense and rebound and once he figured out his role...he became the most amazing little big man ever in my opinion.

10. roscoe36

I get what TaS is saying too, I just don't buy into this "gems on the bench" philosophy.

We've been collectively day dreaming about Arron Afflalos and Vernon Macklins for too long. We've set our sights so low. We don't wish we had a Kobe, a Paul or a Lebron James. We're hoping we can draft someone in the second round who can be a modest starter when someone gets injured and maybe plays in the rookie all star game.

With Dre here, I am ready to think bigger.

And I understand people being interested in Daye. I really can. We have so few players of note, that we're looking down the bench at the 10th and 11th man yet again...

linwood likes this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's gotta at least be getting close to tradable. Same with villanueva. I'm not sure I'd dump them though if it cost us draft picks.

roscoe36 likes this.
  12. roscoe36

Now that is music to my ears.

As long as we have desperate needs in the starting lineup, we can't afford to become emotionally invested in the deep-end of our bench.

The only exception I can think of, is Jon Barry. We don't have a Jon Barry but Will.I.Am might be close.

13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Ultimately I think that's Singler's role.