Home Atlanta Hawks Friday, November 22, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I love KCP's defense, but he's an offensive liability, tonight he was 4/14.
    I honestly don't think Cheeks likes Josh's (offensive) game, he's growing weary of Josh's outside shooting. This is about to get interesting.
    We have to get rid of Brandon Jennings........but I doubt we can. It's like, we're finally about to rid ourselves of the mistake of Rodney Stuckey 's 3 yr/$25 contract to only now be bound by Jennings' :frusty: the guy can't defend his position and he can't run an offense without making stupid plays! He's the only guy who can shoot 4/16 and take a "heat check" shot after he's made ONE shot. :frusty:
    Monroe was his usual self.....not good or bad.
    Drummond had a good box score, but he's a looong way from being a really good defender.
    It's amazing how Harrellson and Siva can expose just how bad Jennings and Monroe are defensively.
    Singler was good, congrats to him, doubt he can replicate it again 2 more times this season. Broken clocks are right twice a day.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Folks knew this team wasn't going to win without outside shooting. Jennings, Stuckey, Pope and Singler have been putrid. While as a fan I can ride this mess out, we need to trade for a legit SG/SF.
    del and LA Dre like this.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Drummond plays hard and he runs his ass off covering all corners of the court, but he harms the Pistons D going after so manny offensive rebounds.

He spends a ton of time deep in the offensive end while the play is transitioning looking for boards and steals.

Even though he was hustling to get back on D, the Hawks scored a ton of easy baskets while he was still running back.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
    Lee356 and roscoe36 like this.
  4. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHH

*sigh*
    Walter likes this.
  5. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Singler was scoring well, but still a few bad defensive lapses, turnovers and that clear path foul.

Too much guard and Singler at SF play in the offence tonight. We hardly used Monroe in the post today. I was beginning to think Cheeks is sending a message to him (hopefully it is to play some defence) but we need those points.

We don't have the shooting at the moment, so our greatest asset is our passing bigs. We need to be running the ball through Monroe and Josh's hands at the elbow.

Josh was ice cold in this one. Thought he took all the right shots though and maybe if he wasn't playing his old team, or coming off the bench, he hits more of them.

My jury is still out on Jennings. 14 assists, but some poor shot selections again.

Still love him and his defence, but if KCP can hit those open 3s, we win this one too. A fit Billups in to manage the ball better in the end game and maybe we win this one too - that was one of the reasons he was brought back.

Love Drummond. Felt his D was a little better in this one.

Hey, this time last season we wouldn't have come back from being 10 points down and it probably would have been a blow out win. Still saw some good things and we toughed it out until the nervous nellies got us. Still feel like my post above though.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Another game I fell asleep watching. I was out cold in the final minutes. Feel the excitement!
    linwood likes this.
  7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Siva was terrible. Absolutely terrible. I think he's way too anxious. He needs to calm down and let the game come to him. But too many costly mistakes when he was playing.

Jorts played like a rookie, and he was slow. Still hell of a lot better than Moose defensively.

Smith situation was just plain weird. Of the 7 shots he took, 3 were those nasty loooong 2's, 2-5" from inside the 3pt line; aka the worst shot in the NBA.
    Lee356 likes this.
  8. Walter

I'm sooper pissed off at the team right now. Especially at Cheeks. He needs to figure out a way to use Josh Smith properly. The rotation in the 1st half was not bad, 2 of the big 3 were in the game together for most of the first half. In the second, there was a long stretch of Jorts/Smith frontcourt, and there was very little time that Smith played with either of Drummond/Moose.

The problem is this: if you're going to move Smith to the bench, then you need to let him have his way with the second unit of the other team. What end up happening was Smith loitering around the 3pt line, joining the crowd in the Palace as a spectator to the Stuckey-show. If you bring Smith off the bench, you gotta create the opportunity for him to make a case for 6th man of the year (like Harden was in OKC or Genobili in SAS). When you play him the same way you play Jerebko or Datome, you are screwing yourself. Arrrrrrggghhhhh!!!!!
    Lee356 likes this.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I couldn't disagree more. Smith has no go-to offensive game. He's not a slasher, definitely not a shooter, his post game is awkward, he can't go to his right....he's not THAT guy you can just go-to. Smith is a guy who if you give him 36mpg, he'll simply stuff the stat sheet in a variety of ways.....a jumper here, a jumper there, a cut to the basket, a transition hoop or 2, an offensive rebound and score every once in a while. He needs to play off of another player. Watch closely, Smith is actually STuckey's biggest fan.
  10. Walter

In that case, it may make more sense to have Smith start and then Moose come off the bench. Moose certainly has no problem being the go-to guy. Also, since he "gets his" without doing anything on the defensive end, that bench role might be the ideal one for him. Essentially he'll be the guy that holds the fort while the starters get their rest.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

If Monroe comes off the bench, and its not a bad idea really, Jorts could start for us. Thats Jennings, Pope, Smith, Jorts, Drummond. Smith could be our featured scorer to start the game, slashing inside as one defender is trying to keep Drummond off the boards, while another big is going out to the 3 line to cover Jorts. Basically, you have Smith, a good passer, coming in the lane against their small forward, and if their big addresses him, Drummond ends up with a dunk.

This gets Singler out as part of our front line. In watching the game, and seeing about 14 points being given up easily because Singler is too small to effect plays around the basket, I say that can not be a bad thing.

Monroe comes in as first sub, giving us for a while our vaunted front line - but against their subs.
  12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'd pay money to see Monroes reaction when he gets the news that he's moved to the bench so Lipstick can start Jorts and play Smith out out of position.
    KGREG, The Panda and linwood like this.
  13. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Lee, I don't think I could eat the amount that I want to vomit looking at that starting line-up.

Jorts is not an NBA starter even if he plays only 10mpg.
    Smith needs to stop playing the 3.

I agree that Singler is a serious liability but the root of the problem is that we don't have anyone better than him at the 3. That's it. Smith is garbage there, particularly on offense. At least Singler makes defenses a tiny bit scared of outside shooting because he is a nerdy white guy with a bad haircut and everybody knows that white guys can shoot the 3.

Cheeks sucks at coaching but he got dealt a bad hand. He really has to start the big 3 because he isn't good enough to make a really nice rotation to include all of them evenly and properly. He isn't Popovich so people will get angry if they see our highest paid player (Smith) or our best offensive player (Monroe) sitting to start the game.
    KGREG likes this.
  14. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I thought his hair cut was looking better this year than last........
    linwood likes this.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You will get no argument from me that the team needs to go out and get two more wing players. To replace the ones we gave away last year. Daye, and Middleton. Not to mention we let English go.

Although its easy to sit here and blame the coach, its Dumars that concocted the mess that he calls a roster.
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yes we really miss this guy!

[​IMG]
    Walter likes this.
  17. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

Wow. Where to begin? I'm not sure joe d and his new coach spent enough time talking about this roster and how to play these guys together. Smith is our best front court player, or else why did we sign him for the loads of cash. Shouldn't we be playing him in the position he earned the contract? Is embarrassing the guy against his old team is a smart way to get return on your money? Singler sucks. He can't play D and he gets 42 min of burn? If JSmith isn't a part of the solution then joe d has to be fired. We can't sign the guy to that deal and piss it away. Lottery is right around the corner if mo and joe don't get on the same page.
  18. Robert Michael

Mo doesn't want to play smith at the 3. I understand that. Then he needs to figure out how to get him lots of minutes at the 4. Maybe we trade Monroe, but this team as constructed isn't gonna do anything with Cheeks coaching. Either the roster changes or the coach hire were poorly decided. Possibly it's both. Sigh
  19. Robert Michael

KGREG and Lee made some nice points above. I'm doubting Joe big time right now.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

He is barely playing. And he is being played out of position at power forward when he does play.