Home Atlanta Hawks Friday March 9 2012

Discussion in 'March 2012' started by roscoe36, Mar 1, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Mar 9, 2012.
  1. Detroit

58.3%
  2. Atlanta

41.7%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

7:30 PM EST

TV: FS Detroit PLUS / NBA league Pass
    Radio: 97.1 The Ticket
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Atlanta has Stackhouse and McGrady.........and Teague is averaging more than 4 assists per game.

I think we're outmatched............Atlanta be 17
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

“I haven’t really sat down and talked to Coach, but my intention is to go tomorrow,” Villanueva said this afternoon at the Pistons' practice facility.

I need to change my vote....
  5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I haven't really sat down and talked to my boss, but my intention is to get a nice little raise tacked on to my paycheck tomorrow.
  6. linwood

linwood All-Star

The fact that Charlie Villenueva might possibly return to maybe play basketball with the Pistons makes this game a Must Watch Game, maybe.

[​IMG]
  7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Who is this Charlie Villanueva guy everybody's been talking about lately?
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

To paraphrase Bill Simmons paraphrasing Jim Ross, What's that, good God that's Charle Villanueva's music playing!
  9. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Not seeing a lot of energy out there atm, at either end. Sloppy basketball. Brandon's shot is totally off and he looks like he has zero confidence. The Hawks are keeping Rodney out of the paint for the most part so he's been held in check; Moose has been sloppy and got his dunk blocked by a guard. BG is dribbling like there's no tomorrow and bricking jumpers/committing TOs, Tay's just plain bricking, and Max was hot but is in foul trouble. Boring basketball tbh. The Hawks' brand of basketball is utterly boring, even with Josh Smith dunking.
  10. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Ben Gordon sux....just sayin.. he comes in and sloppy passes, turnovers bad shot selection and piss poor defense. You can set your watch to it. God I pray for a trade involving him in the worst way
  11. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

A game that went down to the wire with a one-point margin of victory that probably wasn't as thrilling as you'd think it was going by the box score. Fitting that the final hoop would come from Tayshaun, as this was a game that was won off the backs of the Pistons' much-maligned front court. George Blaha really surprised me by how surly he sounded when he talked about the refs in this game; he used the same tone as when he talked about Artest in the Lakers game.

Despite Tayshaun being the one to hit the game winner, Max was player of the game imo. He was hitting jumpers, and had a huge putback dunk late. He was hot from the start and didn't miss a FG until sometime in the third quarter. He was hitting shots when no one else was and kept his team in it. Jason also already had a double double at the half, finishing with 19 and 12 boards.

Greg started off slow, capped off by getting his dunk blocked by Teague going into the half. He came back in the third quarter and returned the favor, blocking Teague's shot Ben Wallace style. He also recovered from his early offensive struggles, scoring a quiet 20 with 7 rebounds. He had trouble hanging on to the ball all night, however, coughing it up 6 times.

Tayshaun played well overall, though he still occasionally forced shots and left his man open (that would be Marvin Williams). He did hit the game winner off a patiently executed isotayshaun though, and scored with efficiency, hitting 7 of 14.

Brandon looked tentative and turned the ball over 3 times in the first half, once for apparently setting an illegal screen. His long range shot was still off, but he finally was able to hit 2 floaters in the lane, described as shots so difficult they belonged in a HORSE game. He did much better in the second half, part of the team on the floor when they had that big run and made ATL miss 11 straight times (streak was broken when BG dribbled off his foot and turned it over, fast break ATL). Highlight was a nice alley oop pass to Greg for a dunk in transition.

Rodney had a much more quiet game after starting off aggressively, finishing with 11 points and 7 assists. He was getting wherever he wanted during the first quarter, then Atlanta shut down the driving lanes and kept him in check the rest of the way. He did a nice job of not forcing the issue as well, only driving in when there were openings in the lane. His foul trouble didn't help though, as he had a bit of trouble guarding Joe Johnson.

BG had a terrible game, frankly, and why he was even on the floor with 30 seconds left while being his usual careless, overdribbling self throughout the game (not to mention shooting a dismal 1 for 7) is beyond me. His jumper was way off, and his turnovers were a big reason why the Hawks were able to get out on the break for easy scores and cut the lead to an uncomfortable 4. I could understand him playing if he were shooting well (like he was against LA), but he wasn't (only scored 3). Meh.

JJ played pretty well, hitting some nice jumpers and not turning the ball over. He got called for some hugely bogus fouls in the game (and Josh Smith should've had 6 fouls off a hook on JJ).

Big Ben was solid, getting two nice blocks (one called a foul sending Josh to the FT line; all ball ref!) and playing good defense. Also made a very nice bounce pass to JJ for a layup.

Wilkins had another solid game, playing good defense and doing a good job of not doing his best chicken imitation. That air ball layup in transition was ugly though.

Solid win in a sloppy game (20 turnovers to Atlanta's 8; how'd we win this?). This was also the first game where the front court really outscored the backcourt by a significant margin, though I was happy to see them defer to the bigs who were shooting better (except for a certain over dribbler). The offense was woeful at times, but the defense was thankfully constant in that second half, much more like what we're used to.
    roscoe36, Walter, max and 4 others like this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

I only watched the first half. But going into the half time break, I totally did not expect this outcome. Either the Hawks collapsed entirely, or the Pistons came out reinvigorated (relatively, of course).

I truly believe that this team is starting to get a feel for each other. I even saw Prince passing the ball!!!!

Good recap alexa
  13. copper

copper Bench Warmer

The team is certainly geling. Guys are beginning to figure roles and it seems they understand and like the Lawrence Frank motto " if you play hard tough defense you can adlib on the offensive end" They can get lulled into settling for jump shots and often need a big play to bring them to life. Signs of some immaturity, but I defenitely see the intensity in Moose when he begins to get frustrated and then finally figures out that he is better off attacking rather than waiting for the whistle. Moose is o much better when he makes up his mind quick and goes for it. When he tries to overthink it he ends up lookin like Isotay 2.0. We are seeing a rotation settling in and the players seem to have adjusted. especially Max. He knows his minutes will be there so he has relaxed and is playing with alot of confidence. GM appears to have hit a soph wall to match BKs rook wall but he appeared to come out of it blazing. Now we just need BK to assert himself next game.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Thanks for your recaps copper and Alexa, I enjoyed reading them. I will add a few things. One, our rotation did get a tweak tonight, as Wallace came in for Monroe, instead of the usual JJ for JMAX late in the first quarter. It should be Ben Wallace for JMAX, but hey, it is still an improvement over pairing up JJ and Monroe much. Wilkins and Gordon, against a better defense, were worthless on offense. And Gordon showed just why I don't want him playing for us, passing the ball to the other team.

When JMAX finally missed a shot, it was a short, kind of a hook, shot from in front of the basket. He is hitting his jumpers with confidence and he even nailed that free throw. Monroe has a ton of capability on offense, good to see him adjust in this game to what works - moving. That was some defensive run in the 3rd, where we got back into the game. An amazing contrast to letting Atlanta open with a ton of shots made before they missed one. We were challenging everything in the 3rd and rotating sharply. The bench came on and kept up the effort. And a good gut check by the Pistons late as Atlanta started getting their offense back together but could not hit that last shot (in time) to win it.

Great to see JMAX, one of my favorite players for so long, doing so well these days. And fantastic to see 2 starting bigs flirt with double doubles - hopefully on a regular basis going forward. Probably wishful thinking but I can dream.

You look at the minutes distribution, and hey, nobody is getting overplayed. And this was a tight game.

I still would rather see the following: Gordon and Wilkins out of the rotation, Macklin and Daye in.

Macklin would not have to play much. JJ would become the backup small forward. Our guard rotation would be just Daye, Knight, Stuckey. Consider this, JJ did a lot of nice stuff tonight. But we were not positive with him in. This is typical. You might see some good stuff like some shots made - but since he is not a power forward - you will never see anything from him you expect a power forward to do.
    max likes this.
  15. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Thanks Panda.

The last play was apparently designed for Moose #1, Stuckey #2, Tay #3, BG #4. So glad that ball didn't get anywhere near BG. He was probably just a decoy though.
  16. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Lee, I agree that getting rid of BG is paramount and Im sure anyone on the board that has read my posts will attest to that. I dont however like the idea of using bk stuck and daye as our guard rotation., with foul trouble and some of the quicker smaller guards Daye would be absolutely useless on occasion and be even more of a defensive liability than BG is now. Daye is a shooting guard stuck in an ethiopian small forwards body. As much as I would love to see him replace BG in the rotation...I think the only way this works is if we can slide tay to one of the guard positions when Daye slides into the 3
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I have seen Daye used in a partial zone setup, where he mainly stays on the perimeter, rotating to whoever the other team wants to shoot the ball. Daye has the height to seriously alter someones shot, and the quickness to do this rotating. (Since its been done, its not just a theory.)

Foul trouble? Use a fourth guard as a backup, like Bynum or Walker, for that. Daye does not have to fit all situations. Neither does JJ. Sometimes it would make more sense to have JJ sit, move Daye to small forward, and play Bynum some. I just want to for sure get Gordon out of the rotation. (and play JJ at small forward where he can both score more readily, and be an asset on rebounding there.)
  18. copper

copper Bench Warmer

then we are in total agreement with the BG needs to not play for our team anymore.