Home Atlanta Hawks Friday, February 21, 2014

Discussion in 'February 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

This was a good game, there were good SHEED close-ups, Nice.
    And we WON, very nice indeed.
    And there were actually some exciting moments in this one. (For a change)

2. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Hey Micro, yes. But what is weird is that Jennings can shoot with range and shoots well enough on the fly. There must be something going on--the pressure of leading the team, the spotlight--who knows. Or, is that low percentage just where he is right now? Just as worrisome is his inability to get into the lane. The point guard play is a key for our bigs. The offensive flow set by the point guard is a key to get a guy like Josh into a flow. And, Jennings can't finish from the right side. Together, I would say he would play on most team's second unit. The Pistons have to figure his play out. The guard play and the shooting have to improve by next season.

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know I may have been one of those suggesting its time to tank, but I guess the Pistons weren't ready and decided that if the Hawks were in middle of a free fall they would contribute to it. In other words, we might not catch the Bobcats, but maybe we can still get 8th and the Hawks are the odd man out. That's nine losses in a row for them. Two more games at home.....maybe we can show some pride and win them????

Singler and Bynum lead the charge in the end but it was Andre Drummond that set the tone with monster dunks, steals and the refuse to lose attitude. He must have watched his last two performances vs the Al Jefferson and decided there would be none of that tonight.

The Pistons made a feverish comeback in the 3rd to take a 3 pt lead and JLo decided to stick with Bynum down the stretch to run the offense. He found Singler for two key threes under 2 minutes to put a dagger in the hapless Hawks who were hitting everything in the first half and ran up 63 points.

Jennings and Josh were stone cold in the first quarter going 0-8 between them. They woke up finally but still finished 10-29 with 29 points between them. Jennings made a few good decisions and finished with 14 dimes to help get the team back in it, but it was Bynum's penetration and Singlers clutch buckets that won it for the Pistons.

In the Kyle vs Kyle shoot off, Singler won that one battle >>>out shooting Korver 7-11 to 4-10. He also won in the battle of the 3 pt shooting and finished with 20 pts compared Korvers 11.

Four Pistons finished with double-doubles....Dre, Moose, Jennings and Smith, but our defense almost made all-stars out Shelvin Mack and some scrub by the name of Mike Scott.

And for those keeping score....Pope> 3 mins and no stats other than a -7. I watched him for those few minutes he was in.....he stayed on the perimeter each time the Pistons' had a possession....never once did anyone look over him, so he was never going to get a point, assist, rebound or even a turnover...

Lee356 likes this.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Jennings was a risk play. You're not going to trade garbage to Milwaukee for the second coming of Isaiah Thomas. Jennings has potential upside. He will either realize it or not. The Pistons were fairly certain Brandon Knight didn't have more upside to realize.

Jennings has more upside than Knight. We did upgrade the position. It's just still not good enough.

brofmfa, lapiston and LA Dre like this.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As far as Tanking goes, we won and Knicks and Cavs lost, so we lost a whole game in trying get to the 8th spot in lottery and since the Bobcats won, we didn't gain on the 8th and final playoff spot......so this win was really a loss........:cheeky-smiley-012:

6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Agree.

7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dre, you know what is going to happen. The Pistons will finish just out of the playoffs and no draft pick. I sure hope not but it looks that way.

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons looked OK out there at times. They gave up 41 points in the 2nd Q!

Singler and Bynum made big plays at the end. Special K said Singler was shooting 48% from 3 as a starter prior to this game.

I was sleeping like a fool throughout the game.

This team can't make the playoffs!

Wouldn't it be nice if the Pistons greatest concern wasn't making sure the that Joe could slide out the backdoor gracefully?

Lee356 likes this.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Singler had a decent game. He was up against a similar player, all offense, no defense. Singler readily gave up points in the first half as they kept burning us by losing Singler on picks and scoring before we could properly reset our D. He was minus 4 in the first half. But plus 24 in the 2nd half. His two late 3's were very much needed, and that made 4 of them and 20 points for the game. Still, just two bounds for the game. We beat a team that is now on a nine game losing streak, so do not get too excited about a rare good game from Singler.

Our starting front line guys each had a double double, as did Jennings. Jennings gets lots of assists that need skill. Its not just passing to an open player, but a series of good passes off plays that get us easy scores. Still, Bynum was in there down the stretch, not Jennings. And Stuckey was along side him. I like to see things that go differently, since we got a new coach.

Also different, Singler's minutes were toned down a bit, allowing us to see how the Pistons could do without Singler on the floor. We did just fine. In both halves Singler stayed out of the game after coming out for rest, and actually got some rest. JJ got some small forward minutes.

Of note, Pope only played 3 minutes, and was out there playing small forward, with JJ at power forward, Stuckey out of position at shooting guard, and a diminutive Bynum running the point. Not exactly a unit designed for success. I see a lot of people making a lot of comments about Pope not scoring lately. But he is playing very light minutes, or almost no minutes at all like in two of the last three games.

Game flow, the game stayed close enough in the first half, though we were down by about 10 much of it. 3rd quarter, we rocked, but only managed to catch up, not get ahead. With JJ at small forward, and Singler not in the game, we managed to get ahead by 6 at one point. Singler came in with about 5 minutes left in the game, and we stayed ahead a bit but opened it up the last two minutes to end up winning by 8. Obviously, the two 3's by Singler were huge in crunch time.

lapiston and The Panda like this.
  10. roscoe36

Hey Lee, Singler was +16. We won by 8. How good did the Pistons play without Singler tonight?

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

They did fine. Except for a 3 minute stretch where they were minus 7 with a non-functional unit of Bynum, Stuckey, Pope, JJ, Monroe.

Also, note that every minute Singler was off the floor, Bynum was on it. We never really had much of a team out there, at any point in the game. I may have forgot to mention, every center on Atlanta's roster was injured for this game. And their starting point, though me, I like Mack about as much as their usual starting point.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  12. roscoe36

So now we won because they had no centers and despite the fact we had an amazing second half, we "never really had much of a team out there".

Thank you for making me laugh tonight.

Menace likes this.
  13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I loved the energy and excitement in the second half. You had two players (Singler and Bynum) diving for the same loose ball which led to a Monroe dunk. Then there was Andre's steal and monster slam over Elton Brand. As Brand sat his dunked on self on the floor the Pistons bench errupted led by a crazed Sheed.

Then Singler stole the show with the two huge threes and actually showed some emotion after the last one.

Great stuff that makes it worth watching these games....and that thought starts surfacing...if they got into the playoffs and played like this.....!

14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Josh Smith is an interesting guy. His silly stuff seems even more perplexing because he appears to be so engaged in the games.

If good or bad stuff happens it is he that is responding. If Drummond gets a call against him after he's been getting pushed and grabbed by multiple guys Smith goes at the refs. He's been on the bench and done it.

The emotion that Singler showed was a result of him interacting with #6.

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

That was a good game last night, but I just can't believe in this team.

linwood likes this.
  16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There were some things I liked about this game. Mostly, Monroe who really seemed to be trying to step up. His trip downcourt on the breakaway after the Singler scrum has the fastest I've ever seen him move. He's a top five (top?) big man in terms of moves and scoring around the basket. There are some fundamental things about defense he just doesn't get, but I'd be sad if he were traded. And Sheed nearly ripping his new suit while jumping up and down was fun too.

Is there a coach in the league that Will Bynum doesn't have incriminating pictures of? I don't know any other way to explain it.

17. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Jennings is one of the very few Pistons whose shooting makes me wince even when he makes the shot.

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Great you had a good laugh. While you are laughing though, do recall that this is Atlanta's ninth straight loss. They have massive injury problems. Beating Atlanta does not in any way validate the Pistons, at this point.

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Luckily, Singler is on the Pistons or Atlanta's losing streak would have been snapped!

basketbills and roscoe36 like this.
  20. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Here Sus, two clips for you.

brofmfa and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.