1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Atlanta Dec. 14th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2007' started by Dlev59, Dec 13, 2007.

1. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

and plus 11 tonight only maxy was better......

2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Hunter is horrible, plus or minus the guy should have retired after he got his ring with the Lakers.

:hoops:

3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

To me the news is the continual superb play of Maxiel. We must assume that the league is trying to make adjustments to Maxiel studying the film and he is still wrecking havoc most games. I think that he should start next to Sheed and Tay. He may be the down low, get to the line threat we need. And he gets to the line and is starting to hit the free throws.

4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

didn't get to see the game...i'm taping it and will watch sunday when i get home from out of town...but nice to see max with a +22 on the night

5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I wouldn't be looking forward to it, hog. Most of it was probably unwatchable to anyone who wasn't a fan of one of the teams.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just watch the first half. 2nd half was a death march.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yeah, not a lot of fun for long stretches. The fans were quiet. The end of the game where Atlanta was fouling for three straight minutes took forever. Well, actually, Atlanta gave up with about a minute and a half to go and we ran out a whole lot of the clock on a possession where we got an offensive rebound. Thank goodness or this one could still be going on.

Still, there were two periods of the game that were fun to watch. One, as our bench held Atlanta scoreless the first half of the 2nd quarter. Hunter had spelled Billups early, and Billups was back in 30 seconds into the quarter. A unit of Billups, Afflalo, Hayes, JMAX, and Dyess / Sheed did wonders. JMAX was providing the scoring punch, and all of them were hustling big time on D.

And then late 3rd quarter, Hunter comes in, along with Maxiell. Our starters, who showed no energy at all in the first quarter, were showing even less in the 3rd quarter. A 14 point lead had dwindled to 3. But Hunter and Maxiell between them injected some life into the Pistons and we pumped that lead back up.

Really good news. Afflalo came in for a good 5 minute stretch early 4th quarter. And of course, the team did well with him in. Afflalo plays real solid D, always managing to get a hand up in the face of the guy with the ball.

Lets go over that again: Our bench won this one. Murray did not play, and of course Mohammed was traded before the game, so we had a pretty decent rotation of players out there. Sure, Billups played too much - but those last 3 minutes were just walking the ball back and forth from free throw line to free throw line for the most part. Not too taxing.

For much of the game Rip was our best offense. Meanwhile, Atlanta was struggling badly to find anyone to score. Joe Johnson was held in check very well in the first half, and they had to resort to preposterous attempts at scoring like Pachulia trying to go one on one against Sheed. Yeah, like that would ever work. Or Anthony Johnson, an otherwise solid player, trying to shake his man and shoot off the dribble. Hey, we will give them that all night - and they won't get any points off it. Joe Johnson got a lot more aggressive in the 2nd half and did some damage, but that was it for Atlanta. With Horford out with the suspension, this was a much easier game vs. the last one against them.

With that said, as inept as Atlanta was, our tired dragging starters could not do a thing against them.

Tay had a good scoring night, and he even hit a long range shot for the first time in a long time - after he had connected on several closer in shots to get a rythm going. And he pulled down 10 bounds.

Dyess pulled down 14 bounds and had three blocks. As Atlanta goes with a very small lineup, Dyess looked awful big out there.

Sheed was invisible in this one.

Hayes hit on a post up, and hit an open outside shot. He looked around a bit, and surprisingly Atlanta just was not interested in coming out and guarding him. Swish.
    Afflalo hit one of about 3 outside shots he took.

Hunter drove in after a pump fake to score. A 2nd such attempt resulted in a blown layup. Good D, and since his minutes were very limited as usual, he always brought the ball up smartly. (I hate it when Hunter gets overplayed and begins to walk the ball up. But that has not happened this year yet.) One nice drive and dish to his credit.

Billups hit some shots from the outside, and some closer in posting up his guy. And a bunch of shots at the line at the end of the game.

Amir Johnson did not play. But at least Afflalo did play, with some very meaningful, and as always, very productive minutes. I still want badly to see Amir play more. The move he did at the end of this one was pretty awesome, weaving thru traffic and hitting his shot. Similar to what he did the last time we let him shoot. Amir is very talented. If Saunders lets him play, I guarantee people will start showing up at the Palace again. He is worth the ticket - if he ever gets to play.
    GO PISTONS!!!!!

8. buddahfan

Your timer on the DVR unit must have gone out at the 47 minute of the game.

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Read one line later. I meant he did not play in the rotation.

10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Afflalo frustrated JJ when he was on him. Rip got lit up. Did Flip realize this? No.

Afflalo's jumper still looks smooth. The line-up of Billups/Afflalo/Sheed/Max/Tay was our best defensively by far.

Amir shows great post moves, and when we were up 15 in the 2nd quarter still couldn't get any time. The starters slacked, but still played big min. Games are becoming really frustrating to watch. I think i need a break.

The coach is ruining my enjoyment of the team. I find myself watching Lakers games, and being in awe of how Phil Jackson used his bench, and how he recognizes the value of Trevor Ariza even though he can't score when no one is guarding him.

11. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Am I the only person who just stares at Maxiell whenever he's in the game? You just gotta love how he pursues the ball. Every single time we get a stop, he hauls ass down the floor at full sprint. Even when he's being ignored on offense, he's fighting for position, finding open spots on the floor, or he's looking for lanes to go running in after an offensive board. Even though, by nature, you're not going to get the right bounce a lot of the time, he still goes after everything.

And that 50 seconds of Amir seemed more like an insult than anything.

12. buddahfan

It appears to me that he will never play in the rotation as long as Flipper is coach.

13. buddahfan

Right on. My sentiments exactly.

There is a reason that Jackson has all of those rings and Flipper has zero, and it wasn't just because of Pippen, Michael, Shaq and Kobe though they helped a bit? LOL

14. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

i think any of us would have had 3-4 rings coaching the bulls and i was never impressed with his coaching then or with the shaq lakers, but since he's been given a one star kobe team the last few years he has impressed me with his coaching and the trust he seems to give his bench players.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Preach on.:amen:

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:cheerlie-GOAL::p_welldone: Can't win a ring until you can win game six or seven of a conference finals and so far Flip is 0-3 in the category failing to win game six in 04, 06, and 07