at Washington Wizards Tuesday January 12 7:00 pm

Discussion in 'January 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You are right if we play .500 ball the rest of the way all it does is mean we get a # 12-14 pick that might be just a step better than JJ or Stuckey in their rookie years. ...

We need just one win every 5 or 6 games that keeps us battling the bottom feeders for the bottom spot. Don't think the Nets can catch us, but at least if you are in the bottom three you got a good chance to grab the # 1 pick depending upon how the ping pong balls ~~ping.....still as you say..good win to make us feel good for at least a couple of days.
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, I saw this too, but couldn't sum it up as well as you did.

If they are going to run, they also need to make better decisions on the break. Right now the team seems to think a running game involves getting down the court really fast and taking the first, often bad, shot available. Too many times Rip, Stuckey, or JJ will force a shot rather than realizing they are defended and pulling the ball back out. They seem to believe that if you're running downcourt with the ball you have to shoot. Q needs to outlaw the one man break.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There are 1000 combinations in the draft lottery, of which 250 (or 25%) gives the last place team the #1 pick. Here are the percentages for the 5 worst finishing teams:

Team Chances 1stPk 2ndPk 3rdPk
    Last 250 25.00% 21.46% 17.72%
    2nd 178 17.80% 17.36% 16.45%
    3rd 177 17.70% 17.29% 16.41%
    4th 119 11.90% 12.57% 13.24%
    5th 76 7.60% 8.43% 9.46%
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Why is the distribution irregular like that?

Was there a tie for 2nd last year maybe? You'd think it would be smooth.

It will be a little more interesting watching the tournament this year knowing that we will be getting one of the best players... or else some dude from Europe that has a good workout and wows Kander.
  5. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I noticed that about Wilcox as well, if he doesnt have an open look, or a good feel on his back, then he gives the ball up. He does not force feed hoops.
  6. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Rip is still the slow spot in the flow and my fear is that when Tay gets back we will have two. Not sure how to remedy this (trades aside) except for watching the films. It was very obvious to me so I would think the staff could go back and show examples to the players of what happens when the ball stops moving vs. the looks and type of looks we get when it stays moving.

Would it help us to integrate JJ into the chemistry for the rest of the first half of the season and then add Daye to the mix after the All-Star break and begin his integration rather then trying to do both at the same time? Just thinking that one new rookie piece at a time my be easier to work in then 2 or 3.
  7. hitafreethrow

I hate to say it, but trade aside I'm not so sure that there is a solution to this problem. I see it all the time when I play with groups of players from the same area. They always play the style of basketball that they were brought up to play. In my town, we ran a motion offense, so I'm always look for screens, but other guys grew up with a flex, or whatever, so that is the style that they play. I'm afraid that the slow it down, grind it out, style is so ingrained in Tay and Rip, that they will never be able to play any other way.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So, LB's teachings are haunting us years later?
  9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Actually it may be a case where LB was able to win inspite of this, instead of because of it???

I think the LB "play the right way" was always stressing the importance of ball movement and sharing the ball. It is just he was able to win despite the players not always following his teachings.

Wasn't Cola the one with the grind it out style??
  10. Whitepine

Whitepine First Round Draft Pick Forum Donor

Good one !!
    If your talking about his back to the basket turnover.
  11. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

STILL......we are 1-13 in the last 14 games!

But, it was good to see the commeraderie as the game concluded.

A Jamison is a great leader. He tried his damdest to win this game with a shoulder that probably hurts like mine. I'd lov a Tay, Rip and Max for Jamison trade.
  12. dba

Don't be going all glass-half-empty on us here.
  13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

as Eminem would say "Back to Reality!,,,,,,,,,," LOL
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

You know what, I honestly think that Stuckey has said, "Screw Rip" in his head. I think he has decided enough is enough, and has decided to play HIS game more than Rip's game, it was almost like he was freezing Rip at times and I LOVED IT!!!!

True, but moving it, just to be moving it is useless. It has to move with purpose and while JJ is good at moving the ball, he still needs to be a threat when he catches it as well as anyone else on the perimeter.

Last night I realized that's what we're missing, if we had 2 guys that could consistently knock those down when left open, our spacing would greatly improve.

But he ran in the 1st qtr, which got the team out the gate. Teams usually don't come out in the 1st qtr playing lockdown defense, the 1st qtr is a time when a player can really get his rhythm and shot going for him. By running in the 1st qtr we were actually able to score 20pts/qtr, something we haven't been able to do very often this year. But Mr. Not-N-Shape couldn't run after the 1st qtr, but Will B. will help out in that dept when he returns.

Good Stuff and you're absolutely right.

DD you're on your game today! LB didn't say play grind it out basketball, he stressed MOVING THE BALL, he hated when the ball got stuck in one players hands.
  15. hitafreethrow

Well in my opinion that's the whole reason to play a motion style offense, is to keep the ball moving, until the defense breaks down and you find yourself with an open bucket. Works alot better at the collegiate level and high school, where there is more time to develop and break down the D, but at no time in a motion offense do you find yourself in a 'one on one, beat your guy to the basket' situation. Or shouldnt at least, unless you're tossing it into the post.
  16. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

@KGREG

I agree. Just like last year the inability to shoot the three consistently kills our offense. Yet, we do have some threats this year in BG and DAY, CV to a lesser extent. Unfortunately, experience and injury has really decreased their effect.
  17. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Me too man, me too.
  18. dba

If so he needs to do a better job. Rip still got 13 FGAs in the first half while shooting 23%. Not a bad thing for Stuckey to consider though.
  19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

It was almost kinda nostalgic for me seeing that play in the 2nd quarter where Rip tossed the 'oop to Ben Wallace off the pick & roll.
    Rip and Ben used to run that thing all the time back in the day.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Indeed, it made me equally nostalgic when Stuckey tried to throw one to Jerebko later on and the pass ended up in the stands.