at Washington Wizards Tuesday January 12 7:00 pm

Discussion in 'January 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Mr. Big Shot

Mr. Big Shot First Round Draft Pick

Charlie had a great game and came up big for us(with only 13 shots.). Rip took 20 shots, missing the majority of them but was also solid and racked up 7 assists, jonas jerebko did what he usually did. How about rodney stuckey though, 19 and 11 assists. Who says he can't run the offense at PG? I'd like to see more of this.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Holy Susan Lucci, after 13 games the streak is over!!!

I am almost certain the bookies in Vegas cheered too!!

Flip Sanders comes through again handing the Pistons another W as a quarter of our 12 wins have come against ye old coach.

Nice defensive effort by the Pistons in the second holding the Wiz to 11 points which allowed the Pistons to go into the half feeling confident.

The defense didn't hold up that well in the second half giving up 26 pts in each quarter but the offense did step-up to the tune of 32 pts in the 4th and we just missed hitting 100 for the first time in 15 games.

Nice shooting by the Pistons from beyond the arc (10-16) with Atkins going 3-5 and CV who had to be re masked after getting slapped in the nose, hit 5-6. Nice turn around by Charlie who was an abysmal 1-10 last night.

Stuckey also had one of his best games dropping 19 points and 11 dimes. He and believe it or not Chucky Atkins kept the Pistons offense flowing in that second qtr and then set it up for Rip's last minute heroics in crunch time. Rip was 3-13 in the first half and finished with 19 pts on 8-23 shooting. Give some credit to JJ for making a couple of spectacular crunch time hoops. I am also going to give a shout out to Max who played 8 mins of good D, during the second qtr when we held them to 11 points.

Even with this win we still stay in the hunt for a top 5 lottery pick, but are now tied for the 4th worst record with the Sixers and Pacers...
  3. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Missed the game tonight, anxiously awaiting the Leecap...

Who guarded Jamison for the majority of the game?
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Flip might fine himself $10K for letting this one get away.
  5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

For a leader...know one.

Glad you didn't ask about Foye.
  6. pass99

Lets not get too strung out about this victory. And certainly not against the team, and specifically it's coach, who are collectively (taking more over-the-top heat) with this world's hyper media frenzy.
  7. pass99

Great game tonight. Back to some basics:
    • Mixture of energy
    • Better selective role playing
    • Making a point (if only tacitly) about beating the coach that left the Pistons a winner
    • Making another point, that Q is not losing the games and deserves better
    • Beating a team, led by a super-star, that has a collective IQ of his shoe size
    • A reversal that started the season. Play like you belong and tonight might be your last game. Want proof: talk to Redd
    Notes:
    • Game ball to Chucky, Jeb, and CV.
    • Which proves that a PG has an important placement factor in reaction against JD's hiccup of saying role segmentation has no place in the NBA. Perhaps true, if you stack it four deep.
    • Jeb is a quick learner. His style (good pedigree) is like the Knick's Lee: good position, knows his zone of territory and is constantly creative. Sounds like the old USA.
    • CV is all surface, beyond genetics traits. If he hits the first few shots, look out! At age 25, he is a natural...beginning from 25 feet-in and this is just a possible reaction of having his flat-footed feet glued to the floor without running activity. My only non-hope, against an Avatar reaction, is that Daye can think he can grow a tail too.

One last note: everyone take a deep breath. At the approx. 1:11 minute mark of the 4th quarter, Stucky takes a 3 and hits it. We are assuming he is thinking like a PG (as he was playing). At this stage, your real PG is thinking what? Of course, time is on your side: think Nash. Of the latter, you make the opposition throw away the book on you as you create a dance of who-gets-what-while-they-are-open and become the hero (and yes, perhaps the goat). The real point, of course, is that the PG sets up the possibility: everyone the potential hero.

Can you see what I am getting at?
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

[​IMG] > [​IMG]

But the beautiful thing is that we just made shots... something Flip Saunders can appreciate. I feel bad for him though, since he was missing one of his big guns.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

<p>Good defense played. Time after time, we got out to the guy shooting the ball and made him at least hurry his shot a bit - sometimes to alter those shots.</p>

<p>The rotation? You know I don't like Atkins, but this team has Boykins on it so at least Chucky has someone he can guard. Atkins also nailed 3 triples. (and had game high honor on plus minus.) Other wise, not bad. Just 6 minutes of small ball. JJ played 42 minutes, all at small forward. And Kwame did not play, always a plus.</p>

<p>Our bigs positions were managed fine, with either Ben or JMAX out there pretty much all the time giving us an active defender around the basket. And Kuester avoided playing them together too.</p>

<p>Obviously, you wonder when we had to have CV hit 5 triples against one of the worst teams in the league - one depleted with suspensions, but you don't wonder one bit about whether the Pistons needed this win.</p>

<p>CV could not miss for quite a stretch, and he pulled down 9 rebounds. Pretty good game, seems to be back most of the way. Still needs to hustle down the floor more. Probably not quite healthy enough for that yet. Speaking of that, at times in the 1st half, we were walking up the floor awful slowly on offense. I think Q had a talk about that at the half.</p>

<p>JJ ended up with a fine game, 15 and 7. And he hit some outside shots, something we truly need to build up Wilcox's post game. And we actually did feed the post some. Not enough at all, but wow, we actually got some classic post ups. And Wilcox made scores out of them. In one case, he made both free throws while in another he dribbled to the front of the basket and hooked it in. And then there was the excellent feed to Rip for a wide open jumper off that post play that Rip missed. Still great to see something happening with the inside game.</p>

<p>Stuckey had it going inside and out and dished 11 assists. (19 points.) Rip added some scoring too, showing signs of his shot coming back. Got to happen two games in a row yet.</p>

<p>Ben and JMAX just played good D. Made all those triples hold up.</p>

<p>Daye got in for a minute and a half in the 2nd quarter. I guess just enough so that people think he is playing. Barely.</p>

<p>I can think of a few more things if I try, but hey, ain't going to overanalyze this game against a shorthanded team. Last thing I will say though is that if Tay returns again, no way JJ sits - or goes to power forward. He does very well indeed at small forward and should stay there until Tay is fully recovered and healthy.</p>
  10. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

THANK YOU JEREBKO..

THANK YOU RODNEY STUCKEY.

(CHris Wilcox cannot start anymore.. oh my god he made me laugh tonight)
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Jerebko really played nicely. I really like his attitude. He doesn't seem to let anything rattle him, but still plays like a guy who's playing with emotion.
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm happy we won because it gives everyone here some breathing room.

But I am sad our streak was over. I wanted it to be national news about how bad we are so that the heat would be on Joe to get his game together.

The streak in the scheme of things is meaningless. In we won a title 3 years from now, having the longest losing streak would be proof of how far we would have come. It would have made Joe look like a genius for tearing it down to the cellar and starting with fresh lumber and nails.

But if we don't draft high, and we flirt with the playoffs, then the worst of the worst will come. Mediocrity. And there is nothing worse than than being consistently mediocre (see the Bucks, Bulls, Wiz, Toronto).

I pray we get real bad, so we can remake the roster and enjoy another 5 year run which I promise not to take for granted.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Hot Dog A WIN!!!! Yeah, yeah I know it was the Washington Wizards, but I don't care if it was against the Washington Generals, we needed this one.
    Well it happened, but only for a few minutes.

Didn't matter, Twan had it going tonight, when Twan ha sthose ugly floaters and his three ball falling, watch out, NOBODY in the league can do anything with him.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Chucky had to play tonight, but he held his own.

Q FINALLY got the big man rotation right and ALL 4 of them delivered overall good basketball. He finally realized you can't EVER play Wilcox and CV together. He realized that it's not really a good idea to play Ben and Max together either. HE FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!!!!

You know I was thinking, Tay clearly is a better basketball player than JJ, and Tay clearly does a ton of stuff that JJ can't do; but is Tay's production anymore valuable than JJ's? JJ's hustle makes a difference, JJ is always cutting to the hoop, JJ gets us extra possessions, JJ never takes a play off, No he can't do what Tay does, but Tay sure as heck don't do what JJ does either.
  15. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So much of this team's offense revolves around Rip that when he stinks the team almost always stinks too. Since coming back from the injury Rip has shot 38% and in half his games has taken more than 20 FGAs. 8-23 last night - 51% for everyone else. If you're starting Wilcox, Ben, and JJ, then he has to take that many shots because no one else is going to. In all the lineup machinations I still don't get why CV hasn't been made a starter again.

Anyway, a win is a good thing and a long home stretch is too. All you can say at this point is maybe they can turn this around a bit and become a semi-decent team.
  16. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

If the Pistons play around .500 ball, they'll finish with 34 wins. Still seems pretty low to me.
  17. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

dont worry, charlie and atkins the tank wont hit so many treys per game and so "chaotic" opponents are rarity.

Losing streak starts tomorrow again.

long live to losers!

:)
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Interesting observation.
  19. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

What I noticed was Rodney was not giving up the ball to Rip on his screens unless he was wide open. Instead, he reversed the ball and made a cut so that the ball wasn't dead in Rip's hands. The ball movement was much better when Stuck wasn't force-feeding Rip the ball.

Is it possible that one of the biggest improvements we need to make is just to keep the ball moving on the perimeter? That is one big advantage that JJ gives us. He never holds the ball for an extended period of time. He gets the ball, makes a quick decision on whether he is in a scoring position or not and passes the ball if he isn't. We need more guys to adopt this habit.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Some good stuff here folks.

A win is a win, but it is a little sobering grinding one out against the Wiz. They are horrible. For the life of me I can't understand how they are ahead of the Pistons in the standings. (Pass, it is impossible to overstate how dumb they play. I would point out individuals and their low IQ's, but I'm afraid Joe D will try and sign them to add to some of the geniuses they already got.)

The glaring negative of starting Jerebko is that defenses do not respect his shot on offense. When he is out there with Ben it is double trouble. Luckily for us, the Wizards do not play that thing called defense so they did not take advantage of that.

If the Pistons lost this one they would have started to get some national press for their streak.

Those evil 3 pointers sure helped out a lot.

Runnin' Rodney sure seemed to be walking the ball upcourt a lot.

They got to play JJ at the 3.