1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

at Washington Wizards Saturday November 14 7:00 pm

Discussion in 'November 2009' started by roscoe36, Nov 2, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Detroit Pistons at Washington Wizards

Saturday November 14

7:00 pm

Local TV: FS Detroit Plus

Nat'l TV:

Radio: 98.7 WVMV

2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Can't wait for this one, I'm already twitching and adjusting my tie in anticipation.

3. dp21

dp21 First Round Draft Pick

4. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

before the game Flip steps towards to Pistons' bench with intent to share some hugs and kisses with familiar faces. Halfaway he realizes suddenly that there is nobody from his era left...those were traded or are injured...

....so Flip checks out his calendar...today Pistons, right, but... no kiss today...!?!? :nopompom:

5. Ryder

Ryder First Round Draft Pick

Except Ben Wallace:stirthepot:

6. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Fear The Fro: you can kiss me, Flip. From my butt.

7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Yeah Flip is gonna kiss BEN, Kiss BEN'S A_ _....... We all know BEN has got ZERO love/respect for Flipper

8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'm looking for BEN to show that he can be a valuable force on offense.. He will demand the ball in the post tonight.

9. max

max All-Star

I don't think Ben is about revenge. But we do need this game.

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

What is that elixer that Arnie is feeding Ben... is it for sale?

12. copper

copper Bench Warmer

very true, arnie is a magic man when it comes to health and longevity. Look how well he kept Dyess

13. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

much needed win before falling to abyss.

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Great to get the win. But coach has got to try to find a way to win without playing his point guard all game on the first night of a back to back set. Stuckey got 3 minutes rest. Stuckey did almost nothing wrong in the 1st half of this game. Drive after drive resulted in points for us. Decent defense. 2nd half. Stuckey is tired. Visibly tired. And we got another game to go tomorrow. Still, to get over .500 is nice. 5-4.

Lots of heros in this one. But lets not forget the defense. Yes, they got a hundred, but a lot of that was end of game situations, the steady march to the line for both teams as Kuester managed the team right to preserve the narrow win. They did get hot shooting there in the 2nd half. But we played enough defense before that to be able to weather the storm.

Worst player out there tonight. Kwame. Out of place. Washington has no bruising inside player for Kwame to guard. No place for him in this game. But as someone wrote already, Kuester did pull him quick enough. But if only Kuester can begin to understand - Kwame does not fit in as a regular rotation player. Defensive player only vs. big centers - as needed.

Jerebko put up no numbers to speak of, but he played solid D. Summers got in there. Nothing wrong really, good strong player. Like to see more of him out there as would many. Daye got a little burn too. In all, 29 minutes from 3 rookies in this game. Some development going on along with a win. I like that.

On a related note, in case nobody knows yet - Stuckey continues to play a lot of small forward, and continues to do well defensively there. He is a bit short for the position, but lacks strength not one tiny iota. He is plenty strong for the position, and is a good rebounder at the position.

Heros. Villanueva early, with 3 triples made in the first for 13 points. Gordon all game long, including 4-4 on triples at one point. And Gordon hit that clutch floater that put us in control toward the end.

Bynum stands out though. With us down 10, he willed the team to a victory, scoring, dishing. (He had looked bad earlier with the turns, but how soon we forget when he atones.)

If Stuckey could put two halves together like that first one, that would be amazing indeed. He comes out and hits his shots from the outside. They play up on him, he torches them repeatedly driving on them. And he makes his free throws.

Ben and Ben. Ben Wallace gets the offensive rebound. Ben Gordon nails a three. Happened a couple of times in this game. Yeah and we kept Washington scoreless for quite a stretch there in crunch time with Ben leading the way.

Maxiell. In there playing defense, holding up the points Bynum was manufacturing on the other end. Hit another jumper too.

CV fouled out of this one, so his 25 points ends up getting trumped by Gordon's 29. (Many free throws made in a close game with lots of play stoppages at the end.) You know, with CV and Gordon out there, no way either one can be a ball hog. Not that either shows any signs of being one anyway so far.

About 91 of our 106 points were scored by Bynum, Stuckey, Gordon, CV. More balanced that the boxscore indicates since so many of Gordon's points came at the ft line down the stretch.

For Washington, Miller was hitting from 6 feet behind the 3 line. Arenas fiished the half with a midcourt make. Boykins was being let shoot to freely for a spell and scored way too much. (As someone who has watched Boykins play at Denver for many years, nothing he did surprised me in the slightest.) Blatche was a thorn in our side. Good thing Miller was wounded (bad shoulder aggravated in a collision with Bynum) or this could have turned out bad for us.

A rare road victory for us tonight. Got to love that, regardless of how many games Washington has now lost in a row. (6).

So far, CV shows two things strongly since he has returned fully from that hamstring injury: A good balance of shots taken, and consistency. And speaking of consistency, Gordon has scored 19 or more in each game as a Piston.

No further word from the announcers on how Rip is doing - at least that I caught anyway. Nothing further on Tay either.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Rip travelled with the team tonight, rode the bike during shoot around and has yet to practice with the team. He wants to go tonight, but they'll hold him out for pre cautions and to get him some practice time. - Per Matt Derry.

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

So how do we rest Ben, do you suggest Max at the 5? Or worse yet, Bad Wilcox. I say Bad Wilcox because there are 2 Chris Wilcox's,
    Good Wilcox: Played for the Seattle Supersonics avg'd 13pts/8rebs a game, finishes strong, plays tough and at a high level.
    Bad Wilcox: Played for OKC, and the NY-Knicks has Low motor, low motivation, low production.
    Right now we have Bad Wilcox in Detroit.

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

JMAX at the five is what worked tonight - just fine. As far as Wilcox, as far as I can see, his very worst is still better than Kwame when Kwame is playing in a game where he does not belong. In the preseason, a combination of JMAX and Wilcox seemed to work just fine, with some good chemistry seen between those two players. It can't hurt to try that.

Another part of the solution is to play Jerebko more at power forward, something we may see soon with Rip coming back.

Meanwhile, remember Amir and Afflalo were let go to make room for Wilcox. I am still pulling for Wilcox to show some valid reason for that move.

18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

This is the Ben Gordon era. He is the closest thing to a franchise player without being a franchise player. And yes, again, Chicago made a mistake, maybe a big mistake.

It is amazing to see this Piston team hold their own with possibly one of the weakest front courts in the league but that is how good the guard play has been. Ben Wallace is maybe the most underrated player this decade but he is 35 and can't bring it every night. CV is an offensive weapon. We get little else to speak of from our bigs. Maxiel did hit one jumper.

CV is looking more and more like a find and with Gordon the Pistons have two pieces to build/start a new run. Joe, the next step is to get this team some bigs in the next year or two. Put one decent rebounding, young big on this team and it would make some real noise. No Amir wouldn't have been enough. Joe has to get this player in the future. Watch Sheed and Billips and they have lost some of their offensive explosiveness. It was time to break that once great team up.

Stuckey again played under control and only got blocked twice. His jumper is coming along and he has had some success finishing at the rim. A good win.

19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I skipped through my DVR to watch parts of the game and saw former EMU star Earl Boykins victimize our team in the 2nd and third qtrs and watched the entire 4th and see the nice come back after falling behind. When the Wiz went up 8, I thought this one was over.

I see that Flip still does not have a seat to sit in and he still hasn't figured out how get his team to finish a game yet. I didn't notice if he was twitching or not:)

So far Joe's FA pickups are paying dividends..can they sustain for a whole season while the draftees and the incumbents come together.

First LB, tonight Flip Sr, tomorrow Cola?....next week Alvin Gentry??

Yep it's the former Piston coaches beat down week and so far we are 2-0 .....

20. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Great game tonight. I agree that Ben Gordan and CV are looking like great signings. I knew BG would be great. After I saw him play in the playoffs with Chicago last year I knew he was a good player. He's not just a regular season guy, it's a proven fact this guy is clutch. CV is really starting to pick it up too. He's getting into a groove after sitting most of the preseason.