At Washington Jan. 2nd, 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2008' started by Dlev59, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

At Washington Jan. 2nd, 7:00 pm

TV20 Detroit, NBALP

The Pistons visit the Verizon Center to take on the Wiz for their first game of 2008. The Wiz have been playing well without Gilbert Arenas, they always play the Pistons tough at home.

2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

We'll have some forum representation in the house tonight, as both armygirl and myself will be at the game. That road game PF.com live representative karma had better work again!

3. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Do u have a mobile laptop?Or a digital camera? I'd heart to see some pics...mostly of AGirl.......

...and I'm emailing her to wear a camisol!!!!:love::love::redface:BOY-YOIN-YOING!!!!

4. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

No camera for me, so no pics unless AG has one...

5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

ever heard of a lil placE called WALMART????:nerd2:

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah I'd like to see that too, get a throwaway and take it back to Walmart for processing...:)

7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Looks like it'll all be up to me to provide the PF.com road game karma, as AG has been hit with a nasty case of the flu and can't come to the game tonight. I'll provide a detailed re-cap of the experience once I get home. Hopefully there'll be some pics next time two months from now, if all three of us locals (including Dlev) can make it to that Pistons-Wizards game.

8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i just got three words for ya....(from Wierd Science)

WELL, #$@@! DAMN!!!!

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Another game, another opportunity for Flip to get his team prepared for the playoffs.

1) Play Amir.

2) Avoid the 1 step forward, 1 step back option of playing Stuckey more at the expense of Afflalo's minutes. Instead, continue to give Rip and CB plenty of rest.

10. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Hey, that's coach of the month you're talking about. He knows what he's doing. :stirthepot:

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

He's 0-2. I wouldn't be surprised if Rip's min continue to skyrocket, and i think we all need to give up on Flip playing Amir. This game is PERFECT for him, and he would match up great with Blatche. It's just not going to happen.

13. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Rip came pretty close to a triple double tonight

pts 20
    reb 7
    assists 9

Does anyone remember the last Pistons player to get a triple double?

:hoops:

14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well we can credit Dumars4ever for being at the game in providing the Piston Karma needed to get the victory. We will get his live game report later.

Another game that was won in sputs/runs. The Pistons open the 2nd and 4th qtrs on 10-0 runs with the latter pushing the lead up to 20 with about 9 mins left in the game. The wiz would not die and had a couple of 7-0 runs themselves to keep themselves in the game and keep Amir on the bench until less than 3 mins left in the game.

Flip overplayed the starters tonight specifically Rip who I believe played the entire first half and a total of 38 mins. Dice and Tay played 31 mins and Sheed played 33. Only six minutes for Afflolo?? and garbage time didn't really start until 2:40 left in the game...Stuckey played 22 mins, but didn't look that sharp tonight..

Other than those comments, the game was won beyond the arc as the Pistons hit 11 of 22 three balls

15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

well, it worked out that the starters didn't play too many minutes, and yeah we had 7 guys score in double figures, but i just didn't like how this game was coached. first, i know rip had a good game but there was no reason not to throw afflalo out there in the 2nd quarter. i don't mind stuckey getting a lot of minutes at his expense in the (very) short term, since we know what afflalo will bring night in and night out, but i don't want to see it become habit.

i also don't want to see more games where sheed plays almost the entire first 3 quarters - when the wizards made a 6-0 run in the 3rd he just watched a few guys dunk rather than challenge the shots, and you could tell he was getting lazy, yet saunders not only kept him in the game, but subbed max for dyess instead. this was the perfect game to get amir out there, because the wizards are young and don't have any strong centers to push him around. give him 5 mins in the 2nd quarter and put him out there with max.

credit hayes with continuing to shoot well, even with the emotion of playing for his old team. the officiating was atrocious tonight, way way waaaaaaaaay too many whistles and fouls. there was no flow, which worked to our benefit, but it was not fun to watch.

sure stuckey made some more mistakes tonight with his passes, but he also had a positive impact on several possessions, and i thought he got more than the 3 assists he was credited for. he's always getting his hands on passes and beating other players to loose balls, and he's learned that if he penetrates the lane he can dish it off rather than getting his shot swatted away. i think he's making good progress and will continue to play better and better with each game.

maxiell was an animal as always.

washington has some good shooters, jamison is sweet, and they kept stuckey out fo the lane very well. they have good free throw shooters and that's really what kept them in the game tonight. overall this was another good game of developing stuckey, most of the starters played few minutes, and the bench scored 35. but i still would've preferred to see afflalo in the 2nd quarter along with amir playing real minutes and not garbage time.

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Ten is a row!!!!! Thats always nice.

However, since this team is wanting to win a championship this year, lets first talk about what we did to prepare for the playoffs.

First of all, Stuckey played a ton. He came into the game late in the first for Rip and played along side CB for a while. Then Billups was rested by Stuckey all the way until 4 mintues were left in the 1st half Thats one quarter of basketball. Next, Stuckey played the whole 4th quarter, in a game that was not totally decided until oh, say 2 to 3 minutes left. Thats a lot of development right there for Rodney. Did playing the rook hurt us any? Not a chance. Antother semi - blowout for the Pistons, and we took charge of the game early 2nd quarter with Stuckey in. A 10-0 run. Stuckey played fine defense, dished several assists. He did not score much, including missing several outside shots, but he ran the offense just fine, took the ball up the floor just fine.

Next, Afflalo was cut out of the first half, but Flip gave him good important minutes late 3rd and early 4th quarter, and put Afflalo back in for the last few minutes of the game. Now, we were up 14 with a few minutes to go. The game is not really over at that point. So Afflalo got some important 4th 2nd half minutes, some development.

Next, Brezec, Fabio, and Amir Johnson all got some time at the end of the game along with our young backcourt. Again, this game was not over. In the past, other coaches would have been more conservative in this situation and had all the starters back in to finish the game. Hey, I ain't saying this was a perfectly coached game by Flip, but it is quite an improvement for him. I am going to give him a B+ for this one. (He was just a few minutes for Amir in the 2nd quarter from getting an A.)
    Now some game details.

Rip needed 4 points to go ahead of Shue for 10th on the list of Pistons all time scorers. Was he nervous about it? He missed a few shots to start the game. He got a layup for his first two points, and then made 2 of 2 at the line. I like that. For a moment, Rip and Shue had the same number of points. (PS, I don't remember Shue. Before my time.)

Now after he did what he had to do to become part of Pistons History, he commenced to make history of The Wiz. Rip pretty much started hitting every shot he cared to take, challenged or not. He ended up with 20 points and player of the game. Oh, and he had a ton of assists and rebounds, flirting with a triple double, on top of the hot shooting.

To start the game, Rip, Sheed, Dyess, and Tay were all scoring kind of equally. Prince dropped out from the scoring thing though and let Rip shine from there. And what did CB do with all that rest he got in the 2nd quarter from Stuck? He tore it up in the 3rd quarter, hitting a few triples to put us in good command of the game. The fact that CB is now getting some real rest, with a good solid backup to spell him, someone he does not have to worry about doing a poor job running the team. Ok, enough of this runon sentence. Hey, got to love it. CB getting some good rest. Not even playing the 4th quarter. Yeah, I am trying to shout without using caps. Get excited. What a team.

Hayes hit a shot early when he came in. Then he got jammed to the floor by his neck on a drive in. He made one of two from the flagrant foul call, amazing he could even get one after that mugging. We were all worried for sure, but he got up and kept playing. Who knows, maybe being slammed to the ground like that hurt his defense a bit, as Butler abused him three straight times later in the quarter. Flip took him out at that point. Now, Hayes did not play good D there for sure, but he made it up big time in the 2nd half, hitting several shots, and playing better D this time.

Afflalo did nothing much to write home about. A good drive to the basket and making both his free throws was his highlight. And good D as always.

Besides AA's drive in, Tay's drive is about most of what I can remember as far as anyone helping JMAX on getting them into foul trouble. I mean JMAX had it going. Washington soon realized that there was no force in their state that could stop this man. They simply took to fouling him if the ball was anywhere in the vicinity of him. Maxiell has to start making all his freethrows. Just to protect himself from all that abuse. Make em pay for the fouls, or they will just keep coming. Well, he never missed both, and hit both once. Sure would be great to be able to talk about any other Piston player getting to the line all night. If someone else would please help Jason out, it would be nice. Someone else drawing fouls would give them less ops to beat up Jason. (Not that he seems to mind the contact that much.)

"Garbage time" was highlighted by a steal and fast break dunk by Amir. The steal and assist by Stuckey was nice too. Fabio did something bone headed, shooting a three with time expiring. Good thing that missed.

Of note, I did not notice it, but the announcer mentioned that Rip was playing the point for a bit with Stuck at shooting guard. I will watch that closely when I review the game.

GO PISTONS!!!!!

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good writeup. Thanks. Some of those "assists" were passes to get JMAX to the line. No assist credited on made free throws. I think there should be.

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good writeup, thanks. Rip did get 4 minutes of rest, mostly late in the first quarter when Stuckey spelled him and played shooting guard along side CB.

19. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Blatche's flagrant #1 on Hayes in the first half, could have been payback for some stuff that went on between them the last couple of years when Jarvis was with the Wiz.

:hoops:

20. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Alright, the karma continues! Maybe the professor can break down this magical thing we have about winning every road game where a forum members attends...he is the karma expert, after all. :)

I don't know that I had that much better a view than everyone who was watching on TV, since my nose was bleeding from the height I was sitting at...though I did have a midcourt view, which was nice. Aside from lazy D by the Pistons in the first quarter, it was clear that the Wiz were utterly overmatched. They simply couldn't stop anything the Pistons were doing, and once the D picked up for Detroit, the Wiz stopped getting so many easy looks and usually struggled to score unless Butler or Jamison hit a tough shot. CB into the lane, Rip from the perimeter, Sheed and CB knocking down 3s, JMax feasting on offensive boards, Jarvis gunning from the outside...it was all coming pretty easy. The Pistons were loose during timeouts once they took the lead early in the second quarter, lots of clowning around near midcourt as the lead continued to grow. Some guys in Wizards jerseys on the Metro ride home for me were talking about how they lost because they couldn't hit enough shots...uh, yeah, OK. Try not giving up 57 points by halftime before you go looking for more offense.

Some other Pistons fans were in the house, as I saw a few jerseys and caps represented up in the rafters. One woman a section or two over was screaming wildly every time the Pistons made a good play, and I also heard at least one "DEEE-troit BASK-et-BAAAAL" before it was over. The Jumbotron operators knew how to get the DC crowd riled up whenever the Pistons shot free throws--not by urging everyone to boo, or asking them to make some noise, but by showing non-stop images of the Dallas Cowboys!! A Cowboys star, a shot of Romo, one of Jerry Jones smiling with T.O...that was more than enough to get the fans booing.

My friend who was at the game with me isn't a Pistons fan, but he knows basketball pretty well, so he started to get annoyed when the guy sitting behind us kept saying the most clueless things about hoops in general to his friend sitting with him. When Clueless Guy opined that Rip must have gotten his nickname while he was playing for the Wizards, my pal turned and said, "no he didn't." I chimed in with the rest of the info, and kept filling in the proper details as Clueless Guy continued to ask his hapless friend to cover for his lack of knowledge:

All in all, a fun time, although those seats sure weren't too close to the action. The DC locals might have to bite the bullet and shell out some moolah to watch the next beatdown later this season when the Pistons return...I'm sure it'll be worth it!