At Utah Jazz Jan. 10th, 9:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think Amir could do all the things he does now when he was rookie.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

That's because he only played 3 games. The more games that a player plays can either cause a bigger stat wrap or a smaller stat wrap.

4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

There's usually at least some fire at the source of the smoke when an assistant coach that sees a kid's off-court and practice habits day in and day out is willing to declare him a never-will-be.

If Amir ever does officially prove that person wrong it will likely be because he started doing (or not doing) things later in his career that he wasn't (or was) doing when he started.

5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

It is the assistant coaches who generally have an insightful eye on problem areas, as well as, improvements (however incremental) that are taking place during the season.

Once again, it might be interesting to have some forum interviews with them... especially Cowens. This, of course, is with the unheard-of understanding that we will call them on political correctness; without naming names, when they start jabbering the party line. Unfortunately, the down side for them, is that they will not be able to reach the full, solid majority party-line membership on this forum.

There is no reason why we couldn't keep it civil.

6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Hopefully noone else will take this as a slight to them, but if The Low were living in close proximity to the D I think this would already be happening.

After watching and listening to him I get the impression that he's a very charismatic guy and in person it's hard to say no to him.

But who knows? Perhaps there is another star in the Detroit area who can run with this ball.

7. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

I think Amir's biggest problem is that he is "competing" with Rodney in the sense that he's been given the keys to the castle. However, he doesn't seem to realize that Rodney was given the team because of the sub 20 point games where he sped it up for Allen and slowed it down for Richard, not the 38 and 40 point games.

Amir seems like he's trying to make the big splash play after play instead of just focusing on solid play after solid play. Most of his unusually goofy plays are when he's trying to do the impossible and unreasonable.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's hard to practice not fouling though.

9. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Oh I don't know.

We all saw that halftime excerpt of Curry interjecting in the middle of a play and telling Amir to quit grabbing and chucking in order to get an advantage on his man.

It could be as easy as not fouling when you practice and letting it translate into the games.

10. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I just watched this game on my DVR and I intentionally didn't read this thread first. That'll teach me. What a long depressing game of turnovers and out of control play by the Pistons. The stats may tell differently, but my overall impression was that we were seriously outclassed by this Jazz team.

Tomorrow I'll watch the Denver game. I missed them both on my Portland excursion with my sis. There seemed to plenty of random disorganized play in that game too. I wish I understood the game enough to judge why, but it seems like the Pistons aren't on the same page with each other, almost like they aren't running plays, just winging it out there.

I really wish I hadn't watched this Utah game. Other than how hot AI is, it was such a bummer to be down 25 points to anyone!

P.S. Yeah I know we have injuries and I too am worried about Sheed's foot. I just get nervous when they look like they don't have a plan out there.

11. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Me 2

:frusty:

12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I agree.

13. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

Re: At Utah Jazz Jan. 10th, 10:00 PM

What the heck were you thinking about PL!! You know that we be spotted a hundred points and those guys would find a way to get a hundred-one to beat us....

14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know I am quoting a poster from this morning's Detnews forum but the way Max and Amir are playing, you have wonder if hall of famer Cowens is just collecting a pension check from Mr. D?

He has been an assistant for what 2 years now and neither Amir or Max has made any significant progression beyond being no more than a NBA journeyman....What has Cowens taught them? I have been to about four road games and got their early enough to see some warmups, but never really see Cowens giving them any coaching or encouragement. I don't want to blame him for their shortcomings, but his BB IQ should have beed able rub off on Amir by now...six fouls in 8 mins:gaah:

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The thing that I don't understand is why Amir isn't visibly trying to avoid fouls at this stage. I think you're right Dre, it's like there's nobody telling him what to focus on.

You'd think after several games in a row of foul trouble and limited playing time that you'd come in the game and err too much the other way. Avoid reach ins, don't leave your feet, etc. But Amir doesn't seem to have made a single adjustment. He's actually been pretty aggressive grabbling, pushing, and reaching with no let up whatsoever.

Maybe the coaches are telling him not to play tentatively and to keep doign what he's doing? They don't seem too upset with him when he's exiting games.

16. roscoe36

6 fouls in 8 minutes from a 4th year player is not ok. Averaging over 7 fouls in 36 minutes is not ok.

If he doesn't know what he is supposed to do (defend with his feet and head, not his hands), then he's going to have a hell of a time earning as much as he makes now on his next deal.

17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Actually even when he tries to he gets called for them. There has been one instance of him physically running away from a player and getting called for one, and another where he backed up and put his hands in the air like he was under arrest.

Him fouling out or picking up a quick 2 like the past 2 (3?) games is troublesome, but in general i don't care if he fouls. He's great defensively; it's not hurting us (unless it keeps off the floor) so whatever. Sheed's re injured so it looks like he's going to have to play w/o his safety net for a few more games.

18. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The Low sounds great and his is knowledgeable. A great combination.

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Amir lacks fundamental basketbal knowledge. He has no idea how to close out on a shooter without fouling. He might as well have a sack over his head when he does it.

If you combine Amir and Kwame's b-ball IQ you'd still end up with a low grade idiot.

20. roscoe36

He's also very cute, but I didn't tell you that.