At Utah Feb. 27th, 9:00 PM

Discussion in 'February 2008' started by Dlev59, Feb 26, 2008.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You know who could have ran out there and contested those 3's? Our 2nd best defensive player (statistically), who got the night off.

Here is what bugs me about tonight, besides everything else that was already mentioned here. Why was this game so important that we abandoned our formula?

Did Utah present any match-up difficulties that were out of the ordinary? To me, it seems like the only unusual match ups were that they have a 7' three point shooter who would be a bench player for us, a young energy player in Milsap who would be a DNP for us, and a pretty good point guard. Nothing to freak out about.

Were we trying to send a message by going with our big guns to get a win? We're not going to see these guys in the Finals, so who cares?

Bogus flow weak sauce attack no balls bad tie wearing coaching clinic attendee.

Please don't tell me he's gunning for the #1 seed. If that is the overiding motivation, then our ship has sailed.
  2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Comments from a Spurs fan;
    And

Isn't that swell? Even other teams fans can see it.
  3. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Man, that grates on my nerves.
  4. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Well, at least Flip revealed his true self again, so I don't have to get my hopes all up just to be let down by another post-season failure.
  5. max

max All-Star

I agree with you all on this one. No excuse to give Amir a DNP. I am still touched by Dumars reassurances of no more DNP's and how much Flip recently said he likes him. It does not make any sense.

Well, we lost so Flip can learn something from this. Jason Maxiel 11 points 2 boards and 0 blocks in 21 mins. I hate how I was actually getting upset at Maxiel at times because he is not going to cut it as a 3rd big in a 3 big rotation. Thats not going to get it done and its not his fault.
  6. Asterix

Asterix Second Round Draft Pick

Count me as another who was pissed that Amir wasn't put in the game down the stretch. I can't understand it. Is Flip really this clueless? He's been coaching for years and years, surely he must understand these fundamental things. Maybe Shaq hurt Amir and he had to rest up. The difference between that sweet, sweet Piston flow of the first half and the trainwreck in the second was sad to watch.
  7. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

OMG it was sheer torture. I was on my feet pacing around talking to the tv for the entire second half. And I just had this absolutely sickening feeling that we will be seeing exactly this in a pivotal game in the playoffs. I am just heartsick about it.

I don't see how Flip can change. I mean for him to panic like this and make such poor decisions trying desperately to win a game that still means nothing to us in the long run. Utah isn't going to the Finals. What a total idiot he is. How can the team trust him when this is the way he responds to pressure?

I am both distraught and furious. I hope he can get his act together enough so that we can at least see some more fantastic intelligent basketball games and wins from our Pistons (starters and bench). I'm pretty much writing off the playoffs, extreme as it might sound. I don't have the heart for it. We are really hitting our stride with a very strong team and to watch him trash them out of his stubborn insecurity. Too tired to play D and too tired to make jumpshots. Where have I seen that before?
  8. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Um...where is that panic button?

Honestly, this is unbelievable, what I'm reading here... Ok, knee-jerk reactions are nothing new here, but still...
  9. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Look raxrets you must admit that that game was ridiculously unecessary. Why not just stick to the idea of using the regular season as a laboratory for the playoffs and not get all spooked by the Jazz? Rip is struggling and looking desperately exhausted and throwing up bricks and just one half earlier he's looking like the MVP of the Finals. It just was not necessary. It's not a knee-jerk reaction, it's just disgust at waste and any erosion of the gains we've made since Flip saw the light or Joe made Flip see the light. I don't care which it was. I just don't care to see another game where our players are not treated as precious resources instead of some kind of life insurance policy against Flip's Achilles heel as a coach.

We SOOOO could have won that game if Flip hadn't panicked. He's the one with the panic button. To me it's just the same old frustrating same old. Besides, I'm allowed to have strong emotions. I'm a fan. I think our team has been looking fantastic, really fantastic. But I'll tell you that game tonight was not their fault, unless you believe that players should be able to perform miracles when their coach is getting outcoached.
  10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Are you a new fan or have you actually seen the Pistons the last few seasons in the playoffs? You remember seeing Sheed leave Horry?
  11. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Saying he is in the minority on his opinion about Amir is just that. It wasn't meant to invoke a social analogy. But you're right, it ain't a bad thing at all.

As much as he has the freedom to state his opinion about Amir, I have the freedom to tell him that the opinions of other Pistons fans overwhelmingly disagree with him. That's what I like about the board.
  12. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

what a schizophrenic game- Pistons dominated in the first half and played like the next champion. Very good positioning on defense, good line- ups by the coach, RIP went red- hot and CB dominated Williams.

Then the Jazz rallied from a 12 point (?) deficit in the third quarter. Millsap killed us during that run. I was waiting for the time out but it simply did not happen. Imho, Flip showed once again that he really has troubles with adjustments- he simply let the unit in while hoping the Jazz- run would end somehow. Sometimes it simply takes a timeout without even saying alot to end a run. Pistons got charget for alot of offensive fouls and I think these where correct calls. Stuckey is pretty quick, but he still needs to get more body control. Sheed is having trouble if the team relies solely on him in the post. When he posts at times, it's ok, but when he's forced to do something in the post, while the others stand around, he fails. Same for RIP, who had a very bad shot selection at times.
    Still, I see some positive things- team will learn from losses like that one (why can't we beat Utah, by the way???) or at least I hope so.
    And JMax was perfect from the lane.
  13. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I will be scouring the net today to find out why AJ got the DNP. For Flip'ssake; I hopehe was hurt, sick or being reprimanded for something. Otherwise I will be pissed.

Not upset because we lost. Upset because we lost and if Flip sticks with what he has been doing the last four games and the ten games we won before that; this is an easy victory for us.
  14. raxrets

raxrets Starter

I totally understand emotional reactions but labels like "completely clueless" or "Flip hates rookies" are exaggerating too.

Not a very new fan, since "iron curtain" opened, actually.

Last 2 seasons it took me abut a month to get over from ECF exits but only some 40% of blame I'd put on Flip.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

The Clippers should be much easiler to beat.
    There's a way for Flip to not murder it...
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Sure, and I get the message you are trying to send.

But no one wants to censor you, I just figured out of everyone here, you are the closest to my vision of someone who is counter-popular culture, so being in the minority might actually be a desirable position.

After all, there are a lot of wingnuts out there who vote with the herd.
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Terry Foster blogs about Amir being a starter...then Amir gets a DNP. Coincidence? I think not.

Paul Milsap is on fire...Flip Saunders coaches like Ronnie Milsap...frustrating game.
  18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

B-Bills. - THAT's classic!:pound:
  19. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

So are you saying that Foster knows something we don't or was this a authority check by Flip. Is he sending Amir a message? "Don't let all this press go to your head; I still run the show and dictate your minutes".
  20. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Actually, flip is envious: he feels that Amir gets a praise, instead of him