at Toronto Raptors Wednesday December 22 7:00 pm

Discussion in 'December 2010' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2. roscoe36

3. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I believe the benevolent Administrator is mistaken... the red, blue and white disco with the dinosaurs tomorrow night. :)

4. roscoe36

Working too much

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The chat sure is dead tonight. :(

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I know folks are down on the Pistons, but the schedule has been brutal lately. 3 games in 8 days, these guys aren't supermen!!!

This seems to be Stern's last ditch effort to ship the Pistons off to another locale.

7. roscoe36

8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Taking an 18 point lead to the second half, thanks to hot shooting Rip and solid play from T-Mac.

Let's see if Toronto can pull off another come from behind upset against us. :yellowprison:

9. copper

copper Bench Warmer

The game just seems so slow for tmac. even with his lost step or 2 he still never seems to be pushing or rushing.

10. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Rick Hamilton and T-Mac are sizzling like Canadian bacon; a victory tonight would taste just as good.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

TMac looked very smooth indeed. Same with Charlie and Rip.

Best game they've played in a while.

12. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

That may have been the greatest stat-padding display in NBA history, by Hamilton. I bet Stuckey is wondering why he didn't get to participate in such.

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Gee, 35 points off the bench for Hamilton - and he was still arguably our 2nd best bench player tonight. Tracy McGrady was truly awesome - in any respect you can imagine in terms of NBA abilities. TMAC made a ton of shots, worked point guard magic, and kept stealing the ball. Rip did most of his damage as a spot up shooter - something he is pretty darn good at. Make no mistake - Rip was feeding off TMAC's play. Don't see any problems with bench scoring ever again.

And the front court. An awesome front court in that 2nd quarter where we took that lead. Monroe for the length - JMAX for the strength. What a defensive stretch - covering most of the 2nd quarter. And Rip and TMAC just kept pouring in the points.

The fifth bench player? Bynum was out there, but not that long. We did do just fine with him in tonight - but Bynum himself did pretty much nothing but one thing - played some defense on the opposing point. Not well mind you - but he was not hurting us too much. Yes, we did let him handle the ball some to our detriment, but after a while it was all TMAC as the point guard with Bynum just staying out the way.

Stuckey also joined the subs for a stretch - and we looked awful good with this unit:

Stuckey, Rip, TMAC, JMAX, Monroe. Gee, you know, some guy on these forums has been mentioning such a bench unit along these lines. Don't suppose anyone else noticed?

Our starters? Held their own, with Stuckey providing most of the fireworks, all inside. Most, but not all. CV, also recently added to the starting unit, scored plenty for us a bit closer to the basket - including several nice back to the basket type scores. Neither CV nor Gordon had the 3 ball going tonight - if they did, it would have almost illegal as bad as we slaughtered Toronto tonight as it was.

Stuckey flat out looked like a power forward, going up several times in a crowd for a score - thankfully, Amir was hobbled in the first half with a bad back - and did not play the 2nd half - allowing Stuckey to do this most of the game. Toronto ain't got much D after Amir.

It seemed like nobody on the Pistons could hit an deep outside shot in that first quarter. But Rip and TMAC had no problems finding the range. TMAC only missed one of his first nine tries. I think Rip had something near 10 straight makes at one point in the 2nd half. At least 7 for sure anyway.

Both teams began with lots of turns - but we stopped our turns while Toronto kept turning it all game long.

Ugh. When Kuester can, he will. With all that lead - he decided he could get away with small ball - having TMAC go to power forward. Hey, with him and Rip shooting that well - it worked just fine. Still don't like it though. The lead got up around 32 points I think - and that was entirely the bench.

No lingering problems from TMAC having the minor groin problem, or Stuckey with his foot problem. And if Rip had an upset stomach - he needs to have more. Certainly like the result. Maybe it was just the rest. My theory though - Rip, as good as he is - against Toronto's bench? That is just not fair. A well rested Rip certainly can do a lot of damage vs. somebody's bench guys - and TMAC likewise is a terror off the bench.

Despite all the outside shots made, a couple of things I saw I liked most of all. One, TMAC with that one drive in from the front - left where he got lots of hang time as he glided in for layup. Looks like somebody is getting healthy. And two, looks like somebody is getting more comfortable out there - what about Monroe's make off glass after he was shoved kind of hard away from the basket toward the left. Oh, and yes I do like to see CV operate inside - matches the best I saw of him when with Milwaukee doing the same sort of thing.

Good stuff. Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to all.

PS, our starting unit is now Stuckey, Gordon, Tay, CV, Wallace. This is keeping Gordon and CV in together, pairing up the bigs right (strength - Big Ben, length - Charlie), and Tay for the glue guy.

I still think their is room for improvement though. Get Bynum out of rotation. Move Daye into the starting unit in place of Tay - giving us a 2nd unit of:

Gordon as defensive point, TMAC at shooting guard and offensive point, Tay at small forward, Monroe at power forward, JMAX at center.

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Great recap by PF's recent graduate LEE356!!!!!!! I'd like to add one other thing, benching Rip is helping this team in some indirect ways, the 2nd unit defense is better, the old unit WB, BG, TMac, CV & GM was an awful defensive unit; WB, Rip,TMac, GM and Max is pretty solid and very balanced. The starters have 3 really good defenders in Tay, Stuck and BigBen. Also Benching Rip breaks up the keep away game He and Tay had going with Stuckey. Rodney looks so much more comfortable when he isn't playing with Rip and Tay. Good lineups, rotations and balance tonight against a pretty crappy team, but we did just beat 2 playoff teams in Atl & NewOrl's, maybe this is the start of something good.

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just double checked what I thought. TMAC was plus 32 for the game.

16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

That and Charlie and Gordon space the floor for him. You'll notice that the lanes are much less congested for Rodney's drives when those two are on the floor with him.

17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons by 22.

18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I missed the first half, and had to do a double take when I tuned into the game about 2 mins into the third to see the Pistons up 68-46...

Didn't know what was going on and quickly brought up the stats to see that BenGo had started and currently had no points and Rip had come off the bench and had about 17 or so TMac had 15. Still could not figure out what was going as despite the 70+ points, the Pistons had only 13 assists. Then Blaha mentioned that the Rapts had about 17 or turns at the time and the Pistons were capitalizing on everyone of them. When it was all said and done the Pistons scored 41 pts off the Rapts 23 turnovers and also finished with 27 assists led by Tmac's 7.

Great game. great win and great recap by Lee...

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Edit: Toronto has actually been struggling with TOV's this year. 5th in the league.

Too much ball handling by their bigs (Bargnani and Kleiza). Same formula as Dallas, but without Jason Kidd.

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It finally hit me why BBeen did 23 pt last game against Raps, he was getting even with Amir. Amir had been leaping all through BBeen. Amir only got 6 pt and some bounds but the Raps won.
    ------------------
    Geez if this team doesn't reach .500 there are some serious coaching and chemistry issues. If we can't outsmart/out hussle bottom tier PG and SG tandems like Bags And Calderone --------___________-------- yik !!