at Toronto Raptors Friday January 14 7:00 pm

Discussion in 'January 2011' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons by 18.

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons lose the third quarter!

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Way to go out on a limb Dre :pound:

Looking forward to seeing this new 3 guard rotation. I think we would have beat the Grizz if Gordo could actually score in the 1st half and if GM and Weezy hadn't been in foul trouble.

We need this win bad!

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

6. LA Dre

Pistons looked good to end the first qtr and the second unit carried over the momentaum through most of the second. However, at about the 3 min mark, the starters got lax longing for the locker room and allowed the Rapts to close the qtr on a 11-4 run.

Based on the our third qtr woes, a 15-18 pt lead would have been better than this current 7 pt halftime lead.

7. LA Dre

On the scoreboard the Pistons won the third qtr, but only after a last second three by TMac to squelch an 11-5 run by the Rapts to get back in the game. This time the bench could not sustain what the starters were able to give them...a 15 pt lead.

So lets hope the qtr break chills the Raptors momentum.

8. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Why oh why is Kuester putting Will Bynum back in the playing rotation? This just becomes the Gordon/Hamilton problem all over again, only with Stuckey replacing Hamilton. Bynum shouldn't see any playing time outside of garbage time. Stuckey was very efficient scoring the basketball tonight, yet only saw 25 minutes of playing time (5 less than the next starting player).

9. LA Dre

Nice win by the Pistons as the game was actually won in the first qtr and the Pistons maintained a 5 to 15 point lead throughout the rest of the game.

Clutch buckets by TMac in the third qtr when it look they were about to give the game away, a key three by BenGo after Bynum drove to the hoop and swung the pass out to him,with about 6 min to go, an odd angle behind the basket shot by Tay with a little less than 3 mins left and then the steal by Monroe off Amir that would have made it a one possession game with less than 24 on the clock.

TMac was definitely the hero of the game, with Stuckey getting to the line on 9/12 shooting to provide additional scoring, and CV keeping the Pistons ahead with 14 pts off the bench in the second qtr as he finished with 16-8.

Oh yeah forgot to mention that Wilcox grabbed 12 boards including 5 offensive.

10. LA Dre

Bynum actually did ok tonight...had no turnovers and made a couple of key buckets when the rest of the Pistons were afraid to attack the rim. I was shocked too in the second qtr when that actually increased the lead while he was in there instead of giving up points.

11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I got no problem with Bynum playing a FEW minutes to make sure that Stuckey stays off the Point or plays EXTREMELY limited minutes at the point. The mere fact that Bynum is actually back into the rotation shows that the org may have finally accepte that Stuck is not, has never been, nor shall he ever be a point guard. That said, Rodney played an EXCELLENT game tonight, he had one horrible turnover to start the game and a bad post up that lead to a turnover but that's about it, other than those few mistakes (and NOBODY plays a perfect game), he was pretty darn good tonight!

Also, the 3 big rotation worked well, Monroe was steady and solid, CV gave us some serious heat off the bench in the 1st half and rebounded his position in the 2nd half, Wilcox battled like a warrior on the boards in the 3rd qtr- man that guy can really explode off the floor.

Damn shame that T-Mac is our best player after a career of injuries and still playing at about 70% of what he used to be, he shows just how untalented our team is.

Only problem I had tonight was I thought Q should have put Stuckey back in for Bynum at around the 8 minute mark of the 4th qtr, then at around the 6minute mark you bring McGrady back in for Daye, then around the 5 minute mark you decide if Tay is coming in for Gordon or Stuckey to close out the game; but that's minor, also felt as if Q should have called a few timeouts early in the 3rd when we were struggling.

12. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Prince shouldn't have come in at all in the fourth quarter, given how poorly he played. Prince was awful tonight. And Stuckey shouldn't have sat out, essentially, the last 15 minutes of the game, given how well he was playing. That's ridiculous. People wanna complain about Gordon's inconsistent minutes.... wonder if anyone will even care to mention that with Stuckey tonight (besides me, of course).

And Stuckey HAS to play some of his minutes at the point, otherwise Gordon or Stuckey (or both) will get shorted with regards to the minutes.

13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Truthfully you really don't want Stuckey in the game down the stretch of the 4th qtr. Stuckey has shown and proven that's not his time of the game. Down the stretch the ball is not going to be put in his hands, he struggles to get shots because teams pack the lane on him and his J is weak. We put the ball in T-Mac and Tay's hands down the stretch and so the other guard is going to play weak side off the ball, teams will ALWAYS cheat off of Stuckey and throw off the floor spacing, it's not a big deal in the first 3 qtrs as running opps present themselves and driving lanes are open, in the last part of the 4th ALL of that goes away. Which makes having Ben Gordon on the floor a better option, but hey, I'm just happy Rip is no longer on the floor at this time of the game.

14. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

So a guy that had scored 18 points on 9 shots should sit out the last 15 minutes of the game, in favor of players (Gordon, Prince, Bynum) who contributed much of nothing in this game...? I'll take Stuckey taking a wide open jumper over Prince forcing off balanced contested jump shots over two defenders any day. Add in the fact that Toronto is probably the WORST team in the league at defending the paint and containing dribble penetration, there is absolutely no excuse for Stuckey sitting out the entire quarter. NONE.

Playing to what a player has done in the past and not what is actually happening in the game is almost as insane as those that claim Gordon should start and play 35 minutes a night just because he makes the most money on the team.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

See now you're just defending your position, there are several posts where you acknowledge how he's not clutch. The game is played differently in the 4th qtr, you need guys who are going to knock down perimeter shots and make good decisions with the rock, that is not Stuckey. I was EXTREMELY pleased with Stuckey's performance tonight, I felt as if he'd did his job to help put this team in a position to win tonight's game, I also felt that Gordon's jumpers in the 4th also helped us win tonight. If this team is going to take the next step it will be because Ben Gordon finds his game and returns to form. Tonight BOTH guys did their jobs and we won, if Stuckey becomes the type pf player who can start and score 15-20 points in a little over 20 minutes of action..........HALLELUJAH!!!!!

16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Nice job of sidestepping everything I wrote in that previous post.

Gordon made two jump shots in the fourth quarter to my recollection. Big deal. He doesn't make good decisions with the rock either, yet he played. Having nothing but shooters on the floor in the fourth quarter is not smart basketball, you've resigned yourself to soft basketball... it's really not good against a team like Toronto, that can be attacked in the paint. And lo and behold, the Pistons almost blew a big lead in that fourth quarter without Stuckey.

ANNNNNND, good job ignoring the fact that Toronto is absolutely abysmal in defending the paint. Stuckey was absolutely abusing Calderon. That isn't changing in the fourth quarter. My crisiticisms of Stuckey in the past during the fourth quarter came when he was playing the point. I haven't seen him at the two yet.

17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Exactly!!

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'm old school, I feel that down the stretch in the 4th qtr, your Shooting Guard needs to be able to SHOOT the ball, the driving lanes are not going to be there, even against teams that do not have an interior presence. Stuck did his job tonight (in a marvelous fashion) and we won, I don't see the problem.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You talking bout the Pistons' all time 4th quarter point record holder?

20. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

The driving lanes are always there with teams like Toronto.

Bottom line, games are won and lost in the paint (or trenches to steal a football term). On occasion, a team can get hot from outside and win, but you don't win many games with just shooting and you sure as heck NEVER win titles like that.

I'm also of the opinion that defensive stops are just as important as scores in the fourth quarter. No one can deny that Stuckey is a far better defender than Gordon and he helps the defense with his ability to switch on pick and rolls.