At Toronto Nov. 5th, 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'November 2008' started by Dlev59, Nov 4, 2008.

1. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Wow...I was expecting losses in Charlotte and Toronto. Tay is doing very well. He should be an All Star this season. I thought minutes were too much until I saw Bosh's minutes.
  2. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

We are a really exciting team this year, I am loving this. Deep as hell too.

Wonder if Afflalo has had the flu or something, he hasn't played much recently.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Curry said postgame that when Afflalo came in tonight, he missed a couple of his assignments. That's why he put in Acker.
  4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

5 TO's we out rebounded them 43-38... Prince is looking like he's living up to his coaches all star wishes.... now we just need to mesh in AI... almost feel sorry for him, nothing less then a perfect season now and he's messed it up LOL.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

4-0. How bad is Toronto? They had not lost yet. Toronto has a ton of fire power, but not a whole lot of D.

So far, 100 is the least we have scored in a game. Most likely we still lead the league in scoring.

Just five turns tonight. Pretty darn impressive. We held Toronto to zero fast break points. Very impressive.

Amir did nothing real special. Got one bucket off a post move on Bosh, finishing with a lefty hook off the glass. He got one bucket on a tip - in, and hit one of two outside shots he took. Amir above all, got back on D.

Kwame Brown did not do much at all on O, but he helped hold Toronto's pair of bigs to poor shooting for the night. Played quite a bit, including in crunch time.

It is a puzzle why JMAX does not play even more. Defensively he did pretty well; although Toronto managed to score on pretty much anyone in all, Toronto was not having much luck scoring on JMAX.

Sheed was easily our best defender, and he hit some shots too.

Tay went crazy in the middle quarters, scoring 25 of his 27 points. Tay was subbed early in the first, where he scored nothing, so that he could be the featured scorer playing with the 2nd unit. This worked quite well, obviously.

Tay pulled down 9 rebounds as well.

Rip got to the basket, and made outside shots. Yep, Mr. dependable.

Stuckey made several impressive drives to the basket, hit one of several outside shots, and one pullup. Mostly, he just goes right to the basket, up and over people. He helped get our scoring going in the 1st quarter.

Herrmann played just briefly to end the 1st quarter so Tay could get some rest. Then, in the 2nd half, he was played a lot in the 4th quarter. He scored a couple of buckets on a reverse dunk and a floater driving in from the left. He got his share of rebounds. Uncharacteristically, he missed all his long range shots tonight, some badly. Defensively, he did not look that bad, especially since Toronto was scoring time after time regardless of who we had out there. But he did not play good D either.

Afflalo only played a bit in this one, a few minutes per half. He played a bit of good D, missed his shots. His highlight was finishing a fast break with a layup.

We got quite a few fast break points for this game, and the announcers mentioned that we were 5th in the league so far.

Curry used 11 players, including Acker who played 5 minutes - in the 4th quarter in a tight game. Afflalo got a bit more than that in minutes while the other 9 guys that played all got substantial minutes.

Rip was clutch down the stretch hitting those free throws as Toronto had to foul us.

It was noted that Maxiell has yet to miss a free throw this season, out of 10 taken. Who would have thunk it.

Kwame did score inside on a nice feed. (Bynum or Stuckey, can't recall at the moment.

Bynum made one nifty drive to the hoop.

No AI, since Billups won't have his physical until tomorrow morning.
  6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If the end of last season left a bad taste in your mouth, or perhaps all over your carpet, you got to get to know the new Pistons. I know four games isn't very much and they're just getting ready to make a major change on the court, but this team is fun, is working hard, and is playing calm, cool, and collected. Check them out.

There were about three minutes left in the third and Toronto was making a move. I remember wandering what Curry would do. Flip would have left all five starters in all quarter and then well into the fourth, finally subbing with maybe seven minutes left in the game. Curry though had three guys out and resting in the third and two more at the beginning of the fourth. And in perhaps the most intense in-game stretch they've played this year, who should appear but Acker, Max, Bynum, Herrmann, and Sheed. WTF??

But hey, it was fun and it broke up the Toronto run. And pulling Prince with a couple of minutes in the first, giving him some game time rest as well as the long quarter break, and then letting him dominate with the second unit worked as well as you could imagine.

I don't want to get all carried away (:love:), since I too have a bit of a thing already going for Iverson, but the coaching this year has been impeccable and the team surely seems to have responded.

P.S. What, they don't have Hi Def in Canada?
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Heck, we only got rid of the snow on the tv screens last year ya know eh?
  8. roscoe36

The excitement surrounding this Pistons team is fantastic. They just knocked off one of the better teams in the East, an undefeated squad, on the road without [STRIKE]their[/STRIKE] any All Star PG.

When Tayshaun finds his groove, he is a lot of fun to watch, and boy Kwame Brown keeps surprising me!
  9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Watching the pre season and the few garbage time minutes he got; Alex Acker has a pretty smooth jumpshot. I think MC put him in the game last nite to take those weakside jumpers and Ack wasn't sure whether to shoot or not. After the game MC made comments about putting him in to score and he didn't take advantage of that opportunity.

Does MC give him another chance in the next few games or does he send him back to inactive?
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The thing that I liked about that coaching job was that Curry was not afraid to lose. He didn't look worried in the least. He put in players who weren't the absolute best players and gave them responsibility (like Acker). He didn't yank them after a short period of time when it looked like it wasn't working out. At the end of the game, he trusted that our better players would be able to come through. There are so many good things that came out of this. The players will get a chance to depend on eachother and trust the bench players.

Sheed really bailed Ack out by hitting the deep 3 late on the shot clock. That was the play when Acker needed to create.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I know you're not allowed to think such things and somehow he is supposed to be one of the elite players in the league, but Bosh is garbage. He is a total 0 on the defensive side of the floor with a Nowitzki-like ability to rebound. Bosh looks like a player if you stare at a piece of paper, but that's about it. Can anyone remember a defensive play of any sort he made last night?

Tay is playing so much faster this year. Toronto doesn't really have the type of player that would give him trouble. When you go 10-13 you are hot, not necessarily improved. I want to see if he can do some of the things he was doing against BOS. A great game though.

People around here like to refer to Sheed as a role player, but to me he is the opposite. He is a super star because he can dominate games without shooting. I'd take Sheed if he was 55 years old over Bosh.

It really struck me last night watching DET fly up and down the court how much Chauncey and Flip held this team back the past few years.

Curry has been outstanding. Playing won't make a player out of a non-player, but playing will help Amir not to go for every up fake known to man, Stuckey to stop doing the Ralph Wiggum 'I'm an airplane - vroom' on D and Bynum to give them one legitimate point guard.

Let's say AI can mesh with the team and allow them to maintain the balance that makes them so good. What happens if AI can be AI when the droughts hit, where can they be then?
  12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Welcome to the bandwagon.

:cheerleader: :winner_first_h4h: :cheerleader:
  13. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Sheed with the Magic Johnson feed to Hermann.
  14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Beginning Friday, the Pistons will now have 13 guys on the roster. Who is the odd man out, Acker or Sharpe? I would sit Acker, if you ask me. The Pistons have enough guards (AI, Stuck, Rip, Afflalo, Bynum).
  15. roscoe36

I'm pretty sure Sharpe will sit through most of the road trip. Then again, Curry isn't do much conventionally (by Pistons standards) so who knows?
  16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

another advantage of playing all these different combinations is it makes the pistons harder to scout. do you think toronto focused on bynum, acker, herrmann? looks like curry had something going with playing all those different lineups together in training camp. the cool thing is you know he sincerely trusts every single guy on his roster to perform, whether it be at the start of games, at the end, when it's close or during a blowout.

amir's impact was big in this game, but you had to look at it from a different perspective to notice. toronto had a 2-on-1 fast break with only tay to defend, but amir got back so fast that they had to set back up in the halfcourt. o'neal was seemingly wide open on an inbounds pass for a dunk, but amir made a quick move, got his hand on the ball, and took it away. bosh got set for an open jumper, but amir got there so fast he had to kick it back out. he altered another shot from bosh as well. amir does so many things that aren't noticeable unless you are specifically looking for them, and it has a *major* impact on the team.

toronto is going to be good this year - bosh *and* o'neal are hard to match up with, because bosh is such a good scorer and o'neal is so strong down low. thankfully we have sheed/kwame for o'neal (who gets p1ssed easily and plays worse, rather than sheed who plays better upset), and amir matches up nicely with bosh (who's going to get his either way...great offensive player).

i'm glad acker got some minutes and curry knocked afflalo a little bit. it'll only make arron work even harder and motivate him. and think about it - we beat a 2nd-round playoff team who was undefeated, when they were at home, against a tough crowd. i've been to games in toronto and they are very into their team...regular season games feel like playoff games because they get so into it (the # of fans who actually purchased an Atlantic Division Champs shirt was amazing). and we did it starting 2 guys with very little experience (amir and stuckey) who were bench players last year.

great win all around. oh and max cannot be contained...he just eats toronto's bigs alive.
  17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bynum has been a complete surprise and in some ways shows more patience than Stuckey in forcing the action. He is definitely a keeper and should still get some burn when our heir apparent gets into foul trouble.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Given that Bynum seems to have made the team for his defensive abilities/ potential, his offense performance has been pretty sweet for a 3rd stringer.
  19. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Plus...

Dude got Hops!!!!!
  20. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

You're very right about this one. Curry trusts each guy that is on this team so therefore, we can't have an outlook or predict who's going to sit and who's going to play. You just can't.