At Toronto Jan. 4th, 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2008' started by Dlev59, Jan 2, 2008.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

He needs more than summer league games and pre-season games to get ready. He needs some real action. Come to think of it, so do I. :)

2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

If if you use Dyess, the edited in name, he had 12 boards last night, so I wouldn't say that he didn't do much.

3. buddahfan

It is still my position that Sheed doesn't feel AJ is ready yet.

Sheed as we know is his mentor
    Sheed also plays against AJ in practice.

Flipper is now listening to Sheed, that is why they are getting along better this year.

Sheed knows best.

It seems to me that if Sheed really felt that the team was better off with AJ being put in the regular rotation, he would make a big stink about it and Flipper would listen to him.

Flipper has shown he will play young guys when they are ready. Last night Maxey played lock down defense in the 4th quarter. No way that he did that in his rookie year or even last year. In my opinion, even if he had been given the opportunity back then he wouldn't have done it.

Patience is the word with regard to AJ getting minutes and getting into the regular rotation. I trust in Sheed and his ability to communicate effectively with Flipper.

:hoops:

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

If Sheed is running the team, fire Flip. Simple solution. Me, I would sure like to see us win a championship. Hearing excuses is not something I like at all. Amir must play.

5. buddahfan

It seem increasingly clear to me that my attempt to explain certain things is being less than successful. However, I won't give up in an attempt to make my points clear enough to be understood.

In any professional organization you have the administrators and non administrators.

Head basketball coaches are more like administrators. It is not their responsibility to get involved in all the detail goings on. That is why they have assistant coaches. Coaches who specialize in a particular area like defense, offense, rebounding etc.

Also there are very few head coaches who are proficient at all aspect of the game, but rather are better in some areas and weaker in others. They then rely on other personnel reporting to them to aid them in making personnel decisions.

It is the same way in a company like Apple. For example the head of the iPod and iPhone groups is not going to be proficient in all the areas of designing developing manufacturing and selling of these items, but is going to rely heavily on the input of those reporting to him/her who have more expertise in a certain area. For example the Group VP may be strong in marketing and a great administrator but weak when it comes to Engineering. Rarely will you ever find someone who is a great engineer who is also a great Marketing person. It does happen, but it is rare.

Now the assistant coaches who report to the head coach work directly with the players in their area of responsibility as a group. This is very helpful to the head coach.

However the assistant coaches don't actually get onto the floor and play during practice or in games, except in the rare case like a player/coach. This is akin to the department managers in an organization like IBM, Apple etc. They don't get involved in the detailed supervision of the individual employees. They leave that up to their supervisors. Now the supervisors also get involved in the detailed day to to day activity in the departments, like the people that report to them do. This is akin to someone like Sheed who would be the supervisor; i.e., mentor of AJ. Sheed gets involved with the on court action but also more closely monitors a AJ's activity and progress than do the assistant coaches or Flipper.

Now in professionally run organizations, what happens is that while the group/section head has a budget and is responsible for that whole group/section, he/she relies on his/her department managers for input with respect to what is going on in the departments of his/her group/section. Those department managers rely heavily on the input of their supervisors; i.e. in this case Sheed, in making departmental personnel changes.

If Flipper is not relying on and using the input of his assistant coaches and his experienced players as a very strong guide in making personnel decisions he is not doing his job correctly.

I hope this explained the situation more clearly.

If not, I will glad to try again to clarify how things work with respect to personnel decisions in a professional organization.

6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I think your pretty dead on in this thread.... the veterns are having a say in how things are being run... are they in charge no, but having input... aa was drafted with support of chauncey and prince, stuckey has gotten extra mins because chanucey said leave him in.... and i am sure that sheed and other veterns have as much an idea as the coachs which young players are ready to see the bright lights and who needs more practice... there are no ego's on this team and if they thought something would help us be better now they would say it. remember dyss was happy coming off the bench, he didn't ask to be a starter so I am sure he would give some of his mins to aj.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think you're on to something round. That is a good theory.

8. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

So are you trying to tell me that the assistant coaches and experienced players on this team are telling Flip that Primoz Brezec is a better basketball player right now then Amir?????

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! Brezec would barely keep up with Amir running the floor if Amir was running backwards!!!

I agree that AJ is raw and needs development but on simple athletic ability; AJ would contribute more than Primer.

9. buddahfan

I did not say that.

Brezec is getting a couple of minutes here and there.

Most likely we are trying to get a better feel how good he is to get some idea of what we could get for him, if anything in a trade.

I also agree with those who are saying that AJ will get minutes after the trade deadline, unless of course we trade for a big that can actually play.

10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'm not disagreeing but can't they figure out his ability in practice? I mean, isn't practice where Flip figures out if you are ready to play? Maxiell, Darko, Delfino, Amir...they all sat thru games and had to show readiness in practices before regular spot minutes. just a question.

11. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I think it is historically been that if you're a rookie on a good team, most of the time you'll be stuck to the bench and have to earn minutes in practice.

12. buddahfan

I would normally agree with you but in this case Brezec doesn't finish dressing until after practice is over. LOL