At Toronto Jan. 4th, 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2008' started by Dlev59, Jan 2, 2008.

1. max

max All-Star

Nice win and its great to keep the streak alive. To me Flip was coaching out of fear of tomorrows game. He did not want to lose both games but the increased mins for the starters could impact that tomorrow. At least the Celtics also played.
  2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

That`s it.

Even if we win the championship, if Flip doesn`t give AJ some PT, he should be fired!!

I will make me a sign and protest at every Piston game I can.

Anybody with me??
  3. max

max All-Star

I want a petition for more front court depth. We saw signs in this one on what can happen. Sheed was in early foul trouble so Dyess had to practically play the whole 1st half. What if he also got into foul trouble?

All I am saying is that it could burn us in the post-season.
  4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Excellent post KGREG! As Pistons fans, we've been spoiled over the past 5-6 years. I think we need to stop and smell the roses a bit more. Let's enjoy the ride! (as long as the ride ends in a championship) :MusicBigGrin:

Yes, there is a short window of opportunity (10 minutes I think?) to edit your post after submitting it. You'll see a button next to the "quote" button on the bottom right hand side of your own posts.

If you make an edit to your post immediately after submitting it (I think within a minute), there's no way of telling that it was changed. However, if you make a change within the allowable time frame, but later than a minute after posting, you will see a "Last edited by...." line underneath your post. (see the bottom of this post for example)

Hope that made sense.
  5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    What minutes are we worrying about? Rip was the only one kind of high with 39, but he's supposedly the best conditioned player on the team. Nobody else got more than 35 minutes. Last year we'd have all the starters at or more than 40.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This is the first of a back to back. For that, its too many minutes.
  7. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I probably wouldn't have minded the minutes at all if we weren't playing a likely fired up Boston next.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We enjoy the heck out of seeing our team win a championship. And conversely, we hate seeing our team going down the path of mediocraty. If you honestly think we are going down the right path, more power to you, but just because you got your rose colored glasses on, forgive us if we see things as they are.

I absolutely loved watching us win. I loved watching Rip hit his shots, Sheed nail those threes, Billups, with some extra rest lately, looked extra sharp. And I loved that. Lots of fun to watch these things. But yeah, got kind of mad about some things too. After the game, guess what. The warm fuzzies don't last that long from a regular season win, because knowing we ain't going anywhere at this rate just hurts. If you can't figure out what we are talking about, go back just two years. We were pushing for 70 wins. Some of us back then said that was meaningless. Playoff preparation is what counts. Nothing has changed.

You still have the fans who will cheer on mediocraty, while bashing us fans who want more from our team. Pick a side.
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

the scary thing is that toronto played a very, very solid game, yet still lost by 15. at home.

pistons are looking reaaaaaally good.
  10. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

We all know what went well (the players). But even in winning 11 in a row, Flip gets on my nerves. He absolutely MUST bring the bench in earlier in the 1st and 3rd quarters. There are very few teams in the league with the kind of depth on this roster, and there are very few teams that run their starters through the entire 1st and 3rd quarter and then some.

The Pistons would be in a much better situation every night if Flip started bringing guys in at the 4-5 minute mark of the 1st and 3rd. That way they'd have a solid 8-9 minutes or so before Flip gets scared @ the 7-8 minute mark in the 4th. As is, they come in early in the 4th, and only have a matter of a couple minutes before Flip yanks them for the starters.

And Primoz on Andrea Bargnani?? Does Flip think just because he's tall and white that Primoz can guard him? Amir is a much better matchup there. Bargs is a perimeter player. Does playing out of control really win you the minutes on this team, or does Flip just dislike Amir by default?

Dice with 34 minutes again in a game where he didn't really have it going. He's up to about 31mpg for the year. He is not made for that. These 30+ minute games should be coming in June, not January.
  11. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

The Raptors would be a lottery team in the Western Conference.

There are four good teams in the East

Pistons
    Celtics
    Magic
    Cavs

The rest are mediocre or worse.

Right now Utah is a lottery team. They have a better record than every team in the EC except for the Pistons, Celtics and Magic.

In addition we haven't beaten the Jazz in over 2 years.

:hoops:
  12. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Regarding Amir Johnson: If I'm Bill Davidson I'm wondering why a guy I'm paying $3 million is sitting on the bench and not being developed except in practice.

Bill to Joe D: "Now, Joe, we made a big deal about re-signing this guy for three years. I don't want to meddle, but as the owner of this team I'm beginning to get curious as to what I am paying for. You may remember that we drafted another guy No. 2 a few years back and he only played in garbage time, too. I want to know what I'm paying for. I'm happy with the team's performance and the stands are filled, but what about the future? In my business, I have always utiltized short-term assets but have also developed long term ones as well. Why can't my basketball team do the same?"

Fact of the matter is, Amir could have definitely played a few minutes last night and given that the Pistons were on the front end of a back to back, AJ shoulda been in there instead of Brezec. Flip's an idiot. There are only certain guys he trusts. He's not willing to let people go in there and mess up to learn anything. Gotta side with Lee on this one, the kid needs to be allowed to make some mistakes and play. Like dlev says, I don't think this matters much in the scheme of winning a 'ship. But it matters down the road. There's too much emphasis on the here and now.

And with the Pistons playing with so much confidence now, they could probably overcome some Amir screw-ups.
  13. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I think that flip doesn't like amir's game. It would have been perfect to put amir in instead of brezec.
  14. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I agree. He needs to trust the bench more; and I don't get why Arron couldn't have played more - the kid has proven he can play and has earned a spot in the rotation - but he only got 4 minutes. And, I don't buy the argument that Flip doesn't play Amir because his defense isn't good enough - because if that were the case, Brezec, whose defense is like a sieve, would not be playing ahead of him. I agree with Lee, max and ggazoo on this: A 3-big man rotation won't be enough come playoffs.
    I agree that Flippy does seem to dislike Amir - he never rewards him for good performances and when he does compliment him, it's always with some veiled criticism thrown in.
  15. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Ooops he fell asleep again.

Regarding Bill Davidson's thoughts: I'm wondering how Joe Dumars is able to make me 25 million per season. "This franchise thing is really a cash cow." "Who's the guy in the suit". "My program says his name is Flip Saunders". "Hmmmmm.......nice Suit" "Those guys playing are really tall" "Amir........an interesting name"..........
  16. buddahfan

AJ is not ready yet.

He has to add about 15 lbs of muscle before next fall and keep working on his defense. The problem is, is that he just keeps growing so his muscular development can't catch up to the growth in his height. LOL

He also needs to play in the 2008 summer league and pre-season games.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think Flip knew he could play his bigs a little more and go with a shorter rotation because BOS was playing Memphis. Garnett and Perkins are going to be tired from going against Darko. He helped hold them to 10-15 shooting last night.

I don't know if my eyes are lying to me, but I do not think that AJ is 6'11". If he was I think he would play more.
  18. buddahfan

I will still rely on AK opinion as to the height of our player's

The problem that most people make in looking at AJ's height is that they think that Sheed is 6'11" when in fact he is at least 7'

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I hear you, it is not like I think they're lying. I'm not measuring him against Sheed. They're not on the floor together that often. He seems significantly shorter to me than most players they list at 6'11".
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think alexa edited his/her post after Buddha had quoted it.

Sure. It will give us something to do from the loony bin!

Thank you. :thumb: