At SanAntonio Jan 10 8PM

Discussion in 'January 2008' started by max, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

The bench played about the same number of minutes in that game as they did in this one, they scored 14 points in that game as compared to 15 in this one, and Lindsey "happened to play well" in that one too.
  2. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

I watched that dunk... Correct me if i am wrong but maybe he walked. he could have been called for walking. he made an extra step

3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Who cares?

It was a legal play as officials saw it and he finished at the rim after making a nice move into the lane. That is what counts.

:hoops:
  4. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Well, I saw them attacking the rim in the first half and playing great D for pretty much the whole game, both of which were admirable adjustments from last night in Dallas. I also wish they hadn't reverted back to crappy jumpers in the third quarter, but that was pretty much the only thing they did wrong in this whole game.
  5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I have to check, but i don't remember the starters playing as many minutes in that game. Also, Afflalo got crunch time PT.

My problem isn't so much with Lindsey, it's the fact that no one else got any significant time. And i really don't think the bench could've done worse in that 3rd quarter than the starters did.
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

Maybe Pop watched tape and Flip lulled him into complacency :faint:
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The 22-2 run to end the first qtr was the key to win. The Pistons were able to stretch the lead out to 20 before allowing the Spurs to cut it to about 7 before they finally won down the stretch. Good win to get off the snide.
  8. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

The first quarter of this game was fantastic to watch. The rest was pretty frustrating, even though we won.
  9. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Afflalo - definitely. Stuckey - not quite.
  10. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

Don't get me wrong Budda, i enjoyed the dunk. I was joking that he might be too hyper that he miscounted steps.

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

But do you think that Flip got on them to do that or Rasheed did? Or the starters just decided to play like that?

There was an article in the paper about Sheed getting pissed at his teammates for taking "stupid" jumpshots, and getting blown by on the perimeter. I guess it doesn't matter at this point b/c it's done, but i don't think Flip was the reason they played like this.
  12. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

The Pistons don't always get up for the Spurs - they didn;t last year. Sheed always gets up for Tim, though. I'm more inclined to believe the aggressive play was Sheed's doing.
  13. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Box scores:

NBA - Detroit Pistons/Boston Celtics Box Score Wednesday December 19, 2007 - Yahoo! Sports

NBA - Detroit Pistons/San Antonio Spurs Box Score Thursday January 10, 2008 - Yahoo! Sports

I remain happy with winning both games. You want to give Pop a pass for "embarrassing his starters," OK. They might have won this game if he hadn't done that (Duncan bounced back and played well the rest of the game, but the rest of them sucked the whole way). All I know is that if Flip allowed that to happen--a 16-0 run for the other team in the first quarter with no timeouts called--he would be CRUCIFIED here. And yes, once again, I know that Pop is clearly a better coach than Flip. I just don't think they should be held to blatantly different standards.
  14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I read Mike Abdenour, the Pistons trainer, as well as Hooper, the Pistons mascot, make all of the adjustments at halftime.
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

:) cute
  16. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

OK, so when they stink, it's all Flip's fault, and when they do everything right, it's all because Sheed got them to do it. I guess I can at least admire the forthrightness of the double standard when it's stated that openly.
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You're right. Around the same min.

The standards come from Pop winning when it counts. It's unfair yes, but there's more leeway allowed to a Pop or a Phil Jackson.
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

That's not what i'm saying exactly. What i'm pointing out is Flip doesn't seem to have control over the team. If this is how he wants them to play, why does it happen so rarely? (and coincidentally after Sheed goes off)

I give Flip credit when he coaches a good game. This wasn't one of them IMO.
  19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Well, for this one game, I think it's clear that Pop did a subpar coaching job. I don't think it diminishes his rightly deserved status as a title-winning coach to state that simple fact, nor do I think his status mandates whitewashing every mistake he makes as some sort of brilliant Jedi mind trick to motivate his team.

I imagine the Spurs forums now are not exactly awash with people congratulating Pop for having let the huge first quarter run to go on as long as it did without calling timeout.
  20. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion