1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

at San Antonio Spurs Wednesday January 6 8:30 pm

Discussion in 'January 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

On the one hand I think that's way too harsh. On the other, I'm hard pressed to see how this might be coached given it's makeup.

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If you write that Chucky is negative 15, then you might also include:

Gordon: -16
    Prince: -18
    Villenueva: -20
    Wilcox: -21

3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Oh, by all means give this guy more minutes. :nerd2:

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

CV could be a moderate force if they put a backup caliber 2 guard on him most nights.

What does it say when you have 29 guards on the roster and have to have Tay bring the ball up?

Of course Stuckey got hurt last night, he had played almost 25(!) minutes when it happened. These types of things happen when you court disaster like this.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Wilcox was pretty impressive last night compared to how he has looked earlier in the season. Don't know what to say about the -21. It was a terrible lineup overall when he was in there and the Spurs were turning it on at that point. But his +/- for the year is not looking very good, that's for sure. -67 in 211 minutes. That's 15 points per game on average with him in for 48 min.

That missed dunk would have been amazing had he made it. He took about 1 step from the 3-point line.

With Wilcox, the guards seem to be noticing that he's an alley oop machine. They need to keep looking for him, because that is his best attribute.

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I like Wilcox, I think he gets some things done on the court that we need done in the worse way. But his defense is ATROCIOUS, and it's not lazy, lack of effort defense, it's stupid, silly, clueless defense. Do me a favor and that stat thing you did with Ben, about not fouling, not putting the other team on the line, do it for Wilcox. Weezy gets called for so many fouls at the most inopportune times it's rediculous, especially on the offensive end of the floor.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Your observations are spot on... except a larger part of the effect is that our offense suffers. However, I am guessing this has less to do with him and more to do with the guards that he is usually paired with. The defense probably falls on his shoulders though, since he is the center.

When he's on the court, we score 8.7 less points and we give up 5.5 more points. And this is where you are correct, the FG%'s barely change. Our eFG is 45.8 with him and 46.1 without him... virtually no different. We give up an eFG of 50.3 with him and 50.8 without him... an improvement. Overall, the net eFG between offense and defense is actually a little better with him on the court, even though the net points is 14.2 worse.

So, why is that the case?

Component #1: We foul the %%%% out of the other team when he's in.
    The other team gets 35 FTA's with him vs. 25 FTA's without him. And a lot of it must be that he's not stopping their guards, because the FT's made goes from 19 to 27. So, 10 more attempted and 9 more made. Cost = 9 points.

Component #2: We get to the line, but don't make them
    Our FTA's only go down by 1 when he's in, but our makes go down by 3. This to me indicates that our bigs are the ones getting fouled when he's in and our guards aren't getting to the line. This is either because he happens to be in with our weaker guards or that he's clogging the lane. Cost = 3 points.

Component #3 (tie for #2): Wilcox is a turnover machine
    We cause the same number of turnovers, but on offense, we turn it over 3 more times when he's in... which will hurt us by about 3 points per game. And this is one effect that I blame on him, since he leads the team in turnovers per minute played. I think I posted earlier that he turns it over 22 times for every 100 shot attempts. Cost = 3 points.

8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I was able to watch only the first half, but just within that first half he could've had 3 assists if the people he passed the ball to could make the easy basket.

During this miserable stretch he has been our best and most consistent baller. Everybody else just needs to step up and Q need to pull his head out of his sitting apparatus.

9. Walter

I agree that Kareem was a better player than JJ.

In all seriousness though, he either needs to give up that shot or get some elevation. As is, that shot looks worse than Memo driving to the basket with arms and legs flailing about.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's almost impossible for Rip to have 29 points and our PG to have zero assists, but it happened.

But the worst game Stuckey has ever had was on 2/24/09 against the Heat.

He played 30 minutes, had 8 points and zero assists while he idol (D. Wade) had 31 points and 16 assists. That must have been quite a blow to the ego. Rip came off the bench that game.

11. Walter

Q really handled this Texas back-to-back horribly. Overplay old guys who recently returned from injury while the hustling youngsters are sitting there twiddling their thumbs. This was the worst showing of Q.

I just hope we win a few games and turn the tide before Q destroys our starters by overplaying them while injured.

12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wilcox was great right up to the beginning of the 4th when he had three of the eight Pistons 4th quarter turnovers in a row. It went from a tie game to a blowout then and there. Two offensive fouls and a pass that went off CV's hands if I remember it right.

Still, I'd be happy with Ben gettting around 28 and Wilcox getting 20 minutes every night.

13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:confused::confused::noidea::noidea:

Yep bending over switching from his left hand to the right hand, I cringed thinking that he would either get the ball swiped from him, or that disc would rupture again.

His over dibbling didn't help either..... how many times did he dribble from the right across the top of the key before deciding to shoot or pass and how much time was left on the clock.

Bengo had 5 turnovers and Atkins looked clueless out there getting beat of defense...

...I guess we miss Will Bynum....will he be back by Saturday??

14. Walter

I used to think so too. But, last year I've been beaten to submission by Tablecloth last year. Now, it looks like it's a regular thing.

15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd like to see both Rip and Tay traded, but I think every once in a while you might shorten the bench for a game when a win is badly needed. Continuing to do this long-term will have disasterous effects.

Except for the 4th quarter last night, the Pistons were playing evenly on the road against two pretty good team.

16. Walter

I can't understand why Atkins is getting so many minutes now. When Bynum, Gordon AND Rip were out with injury, it made sense. Now?

There was a good stretch when JMax and Wilcox were in the game. I got really excited and watched very closely as this was something Lee was asking for for a long time. I was left unimpressed. Neither one seems to know what "boxing out" means. SAS got too many easy offensive boards while those two were in the game.

The good thing is Wilcox seems to have woken up and remembered that he is capable of jumping. The sad thing is that is what was a good thing from last night.

17. LA Dre

In both games it was as if the Mavs and Spurs turned up their D to begin the 4th qtr and scored on everyone of our misses or turnovers...and unfortunately, we didn't have a D to turn on:yellowprison:

18. Walter

Exactly! Go back and watch the poise of Mavs and Spurs players in those games. They were all very relaxed and looked like they never doubted they'd win the game. Even when the Mavs were down 14.

Look at the way how we stayed in those games. The other team was executing plays successfully and scoring with ease. We were scrapping, hustling, and just plain getting lucky sometimes in desparation shots. Our offense was mainly guard isolation play. The cold hard truth is both SAS and Dallas just had to concentrate and play focused for about 6-10 minutes to put away those games.

No, these losses didn't look good. They were ugly losses.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Remember when we used to complaint about having a switch? Now other teams are saving energy when they play us and they turn their switch on in the 4th. Oh, the pain...

20. LA Dre

Yep that's what good teams do and we USED to be one of them..

Back in the good old days, there was no doubt we would pull it out in the 4th and win, now there is doubt that we will win and there is only hope that we will somehow pull out a win...

By the way when is our next [strike]loss[/strike], I mean game?? Oh yeah the return of AI on Saturday...