at San Antonio Spurs Wednesday January 6 8:30 pm

Discussion in 'January 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe Tay is on Kuester's fantasy team.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

San Antonio is a good team, no doubt. But we competed with them pretty well most of the game - save when Atkins was given minutes because he is Dumar's buddy. With Atkins, we play with just 4 guys on defense, and on offense its worse since Atkins always takes a few dribbles to make it look like he is a point guard before hot potatoing the ball to the next guy, losing valuable seconds on the 24 second clock. Sound familiar? Hey, its one of the most important parts of what happened in this one. If Chucky goes negative 15 next game, I am sure I will mention it for the next game too. I just write what happens. If it happens game after game, that is what I write.

Stuckey got injured and left the game early in the 3rd quarter. A collision left him with a sore knee. I have not heard an update as of yet. So we got to see Gordon run the point some. Actually, it was Tay bringing up the ball, and Rip playing as a point some. It did not look great, but we held right with SA thru the end of the 3rd, with no point guard out there. Believe me, no point guard is a lot better than playing Chucky Atkins.

CV did not do that bad, but why have a guy go from starter to DNP? You would think there would be a middle ground somewhere. JJ only got in for a bit of garbage time in this one.

JMAX got the start, but as usual when he starts, did not get starters minutes. We did fine when he was in (not counting garbage time.) (and PS, no, I don't think JMAX should get starters minutes. About what he got is perfect for him.)

Ben has seemed to have found a new offensive weopon, using the rim to protect his layups. (using reverse layups or going lefty.) He even made a freethrow. Like JJ starting out on Dirk yesterday, Ben did well initially guarding Duncan. Just could not sustain it.

Rip, good news, he has his shot back. Scored about 30 tonight. Backing people down and shooting over them. Thats different for him, at least as far as doing it consistently for a whole game.

CV did not shoot that well percentage wise, but he got several of his misses back, and a couple of other's misses too. CV is getting posted up, and making something out of it often enough.

Gordon seemed to have a lot of misses, but also scored a lot. Tay, a bit of everything. I think he was totally out of gas though for the 4th quarter. He some kind of knee injury hampering him. Stuckey scored enough until the injury. Bynum did not play while waiting for his ankles to heal all the way.

Daye got in very briefly, doing about as well as you would expect after barely playing as of late. Which means Kuester achieved a trifecta, leaving all three small forwards we just drafted out of the rotation. (While of course managing to never play a small forward at backup small forward.)

Small ball still in full bloom. At least we did not use Tay at power forward. And we still just are not doing any good going small. Our starting unit, featuring a small forward at small forward, even as rusty on out of shape that he is from missing most of the season, is doing fine, showing plenty of game against two good Texas teams these two nights. (Of course, small ball is including Atkins, so maybe you don't want to condemn small ball in and of itself.)

Wilcox would have a good report tonight - if he had not missed 4 of 4 from the line. He got a bit too rambunctious on a slam try, and missed. That would have just about brought the roof down if he had made it. It turned out good though, since we got the bound, ran the clock out for the quarter with a made shot dancing on the rim while time expired. (Rip.)

Rip actually got the ball to Wilcox in the post. (and Wilcox got fouled.) Progress. Rip also had got the ball for Wilcox easy scores Wednesday night. Hopefully, good chemistry is developing there.
  3. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

:pound::pound:

My choice of "Comment" of the day :pound:
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I have nothing good to say, so I will say little.

This was another bad loss, we're going backwards by playing Rip and Tay all of these minutes. I'm not sure anyone outside of Joe Dumars' employ thinks either are all-stars.
  5. lk#1

lk#1 First Round Draft Pick

Hopefully showcasing of Tay, Rip and Max began - meanning that at the trade deadline we will be officially in tanking mode...

(it's so sad to wait for tanking...)
  6. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Q's job is safe. I'm pretty sure.

Rip is untradeable.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's early, but what if he loses another 9 in a row or even worst goes for O for january?? No one can survived that unless your name is Don Nelson, Phil Jackson, Greg Popovich or Norm Sloan.
  8. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

IF we don't win just a SINGLE game in January I'll be soooo crazy maaann..
  9. raxrets

raxrets Starter

do you think, new coach can handle better 3SG (rip, stuckey, bg) minutes?

and neither kwame or maxiell or wilcox won't play miracuously better for new coach too.
  10. roscoe36

Dumars has to save his butt. The seats will be empty, the concessions will generate little revenue. The Pistons gain greatly when they play well, because they own the building and all the concessions. They take all of the losses when attendance is bad.

I don't think Joe is going to get fired, but the bean counters won't let him do nothing. There will be pressure from above, because the shareholders (and stakeholders) must be satisfied.
  11. max

max All-Star

Good point, least we forget that it is a business. A lot of the tickets they have been selling are 1/2 price, 4-packs, ... So I doubt they are making a lot of money these days.
  12. baller

baller First Round Draft Pick

I have not seen the game yet but was there any special reason for JJ only playing 2 mins? Or has Q lost his mind completely?
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

They have cash on the books, they're able to sustain a season like this, maybe two if we see some promise on the horizon.

The hoop IQ of CV and Chris Wilcox don't add up to a nickel's worth of sense. I like both of them, I really do, but man they're clueless; so what does it say for a coach to continually pair them together AND add Chucky Atkins to the mix?
  14. roscoe36

I think we're tanking this season. I hope that is what it is.
  15. baller

But if thats the case, shouldn't we develop the young guns instead? I think it's bad enough that Daye and Summers don't play at all and now JJ too.
  16. roscoe36

JJ is too good to play. If we play him, we might accidentally win some games. Then we won't be tanking.
  17. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

The scary thing is that San Antonio was just TOYING with us until the 4th, when they put the pedal to the metal.(Defense) Hard for me to consider the rebuild talk when we're still in the freefall mode.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think JJ has started almost every game this year up to this point. And the game before, he was pretty flat. They may just be giving him a rest. He's a rookie afterall and an energy player, so he may hit that endurance wall if they keep pushing him.
  19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think he's doing what we've been wanting a coach to do for maybe the past six or seven years - experiment with lineups, don't be afraid to change, etc.

Do I think Max should start over JJ? No, personally I don't, but he certainly could be hitting a rookie wall and need a little time. But, I am glad to see guys being given a chance to put their imprint on a game by starting rather than being dumped in for 12 minutes instead of six somewhere along the way.
  20. baller

Perhaps but I don't think he was very flat. He only played 14 minutes and did a good joob on Dirk. Had to take couple of hard shots.

There should be some steps between starter and garbage time player. I think Kuester lacks consistency and these cind of big changes just exposes he is clueless how to coach this team.

At least I know JJ wont hurt by this, he has been proving people wrong his whole career. He will make it impossible for Q not to play him. Provided they're not tanking though.