At San Antonio Spurs Dec. 2nd, 8:30 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Nov 28, 2008.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

They were pretty ugly in the first half.

They have 1 too many 2 guards, and 1 too few PGs.
  2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Wow, great win tonight. The first half was pretty bad when the starters were in, and the Pistons were only in it because the reserves absolutely blew up early in the 2nd quarter against the Spurs bench. The third quarter was back and forth but ended well, and then the 4th was just awesome...28-14 Pistons!

The defense throughout the second half was excellent, with the Spurs only scoring 32 points. They really fell apart once they stopped getting calls on every possession. The Pistons took advantage with aggressive runouts and drives to the hoop. Points in the paint was in the neighborhood of 40-20 Pistons overall for the game. Pretty much everyone who was out there in the 4th quarter played great...Stuckey, AI, Sheed, Tay, AA, and Amir.

The Pistons really need to build off this win. As bad as some of their losses have been of late, they've also put up post-trade wins now at the Lakers, against the Cavs, and at the Spurs.
  3. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I unsure about this team; it all starts with the defense; i am convinced that sheed cannot play defense like that for an entire game, but for one quarter he is fine. Reminded me of the dunccan and sheed battles from 98 to 03. Great to see.

What is curry going to do? Affalo deserved to close the game out but he put rip back in. Rip had a decent game, I just feel that curry didn't want to tick another veteran off. Curry is in a no win situation. Affalo had such energy and defense, amir played well too.

I have a very serious dvr situation. I love to dvr and look at the game again when my husband gets home from work. Now he is going to %%%%% because I didn't dvr the game. I am in a no-win situation. My record is 9 and 0.
  4. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i felt this way too in the first half. of course, in teh second half, i saw a lot of activity and energy from teh starters on defense and better movement of the ball and without the ball on offense and that combination seemed to lead to lots of open shots (much like the zoo crew created for themselves in that 2nd quarter run)

i haven't gotten to see too many games this season because i've been traveling a lot. but from what i have seen, i don't think that we have any dire personnel issues. i can certainly see the advantage of getting an active big who can shoot, like dyess, back into the rotation. but i don't see that there's anybody we need to get rid of particularly (at least not among the players who played tonight).

two things seemed really obvious watching tonight: 1) active hands, quick feet, and hustle on the defensive end make all the difference, defensively and offensively. whatever unit was out there: when those elements were in play, the pistons dominated and the spurs looked dazed and confused 2) the starting combination of AI, Rip, Tay, Sheed, and Kwame doesn't seem as strong as other combinations that we used at different times through the game. that's no knock on any of them as individuals. they just don't seem to work well together defensively or offensively. personally, i really liked a line up of AI, AA, Stuckey, Amir, and Sheed; but I also liked seeing Rip, Tay, and Jmax sprinkled in with those five.

last observation: i know everyone was disheartened by the minny and portland losses, and by the first quarter, or even half of this game. at least in chat, many were voicing their frustration and calling for any number of drastic solutions, writing the season off. but i really think that patience is called for and merited. there's some really good pieces out there, and enough stretches when those pieces together and looked really dominating defensively and fluid and effortless offensively that I think we need to pull back from the panic button and just keep watching -- constructively criticising, of course -- but no need for any drastic measures.
  5. roscoe36

NY, I had no idea you were a lady. Take care of your old man, the Pistons will take care of the Ws and Ls. :)
  6. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

I think you just about said it all. The best post i've seen all year in this young season. Fantastic!!!!
  7. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Stucknut's reminding me why I was excited when we drafted him. Finally.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ok that is NYpistonfan, ArmyGirl, Piston Lover, Alexa32, Aurora, Lpglr....anybody else want to step up and reveal their gender identity??

I love that we have ladies on this forum who can [strike]bang[/strike] discuss hoops with the fellas despite our childish, chauvinistic ways. Good to see that you all are passionate as we are because Ms. Dre only gets excited about a game when she attends one in person. :drama:
    :focus:

Good game by the fellas tonight. Second unit did good and took the lead in the 2nd qtr, but starters duplicated Sundays effort by giving it back. But this ain't Sunday and this time the starters actually took control of the game down the stretch after the bench had brought them back. Hats off to Sheed who was getting dumped on by Duncan inside and out in the first half and to start the second and woke-up in the second half from both the inside and outside. Somebody check this, but is this the first time he has gone the line in the last 3 games???

All of the starters looked good, even Kwame who had a terrible first quarter but played well in the third slowing down TD and grabbing 8 boards.

Oh yeah good game by THE Butler :)
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

<p>Complaints first. AI played the whole 2nd half with no rest. I don't think JMAX got in there in the 2nd half. I think Sheed played about the whole 2nd half. We went small at the end of the 2nd quarter, and it hurt us some. Kwame was useless on offense in this game.</p>

<p>Everyone that played did well. Curry showed a lot of guts sticking with some young guys very late into this game to reward them for doing well. Yeah, Amir and Afflalo did come out around the 4 minute mark, but thats pretty darn good leaving them in that long.</p>

<p>AI. Yes, he threw the ball away here and there. Yes, he ball bogged a tad here and there. But he kept getting to the basket, finished often enough, found people often enough. And against Parker, he is not a liability on defense. Quick vs. quick. And he hit a bunch of outside shots.</p>

<p>Rip. He started the game out hitting most of his shots. He continues to make his free throws. He rotated great for a long spell along side the zoo crew in the 2nd quarter.</p>

<p>Tay, a little of everything. Bringing the ball up, ok. Rebounds. Assists. Knocked down some shots. Good D.</p>

<p>Sheed. About 20 points. Made a lot of those 3's. But he was wide open and they were pretty much daring him to shoot, so he was doing what he was suppose to do. And I like him taunting them a bit challenging them to come out and guard him. What? Guard Sheed? When we have AI and Stuckey itching to bust a move inside. SA only had Duncan for interior defense. Hardly enough to stop AI and Stuckey. They had to leave someone open.</p>

<p>Kwame. Bad hands. Horrid hands. No hands. He drew not one foul, nor scored a point; it was like just handing the ball over to the other team to try to tell him to score. And Duncan was scoring on him. But, and this is huge, Duncan was working awful hard to score on Kwame as Kwame was playing some seriously good D on him. By the end of the game, we had him worn the heck out, and that, combined with Sheed playing with real fire, spelled Duncan staying in check in crunch time.</p>

<p>Stuckey. Our hero tonight. He shredded their defense pretty fiercely. Hit jumpers, got to the rack, and dished assist after assist. Many inside. We outscored them in the paint 2 to 1. And Stuckey is learning that D. Knowledge, now combined with his natural gifts of height, quickness, and ups, is making him one heck of a defender.</p>

<p>Afflalo. Wow. Just great D. Great defensive rotation. Case in point. He doubled on Duncan, then got back so fast on Parker after the outlet pass, Parker travelled trying to gain an advantage. As the announcer said, Afflalo was in his head.</p>

<p>JMAX. Lots energy. Playing with force. He absolutely deserved time in the 2nd half, but hey, we played good quality players at all times in the 2nd half. Can't complain. He was part of our nice run in the 2nd quarter.</p>

<p>Amir. This guy lives at the offensive glass. And makes every defensive rotation. And always gets back in transition D. Hustles continuously. And if his teammates can ever manage to find him, he is there ready to score, under the basket. Phenomenal. What a delight to see this younster get crunch time 4th quarter minutes.</p>

<p>Nine man rotation tonight. Good strong one. Yeah, I won't lie, I had my doubts there in the opening of the 3rd quarter when the starting unit was not doing so well, but they got their act together and got the game tied. Yeah, I hated to see small ball played so much in the 2nd quarter toward the end of it. But hey, we got five excelent players, AI, Rip, Afflalo, Stuckey, and Tay kind of all jammed up at the 1 - 3 spots. Small ball does allow Curry to play all these guys. That can't hurt.</p>

<p>Thats the Lakers, Cleveland, and now a hot SA team we have beaten of late. I think its going to be ok.</p>

<p>GO PISTONS!!!!!</p>
  10. max

max All-Star

They will be more than ok because tonight they did it in crunch time. Overcame what a 10 point deficit to start the 4th?

Seems like some of the starters played a lot of mins but thats ok - have to go with the hot hand. Nice 9 man set out there and Herman did not play. Another nice game from Stucky.
  11. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

November's finally over! Let's play some real basketball now, boys!

McDyess is back this weekend right?
  12. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

They were down 10 at one point in the 3rd quarter, but they made a run near the end and started the 4th down by only 2.
  13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

That was Piston basketball. The defense returned. The youth started it. Later Sheed got into it. AI did damage by roaming into the passing lanes. SA was exposed for lack of team speed.

Kwame has no offense unless he is able to overpower a small. His use is banging with their bigs. I agree with Lee that while he wasn't stellar, he helped to wear Duncan out. I wish the Pistons wouldn't feed him so much in the post.

AI and Stuckey and even TAy threatening to drive gave us a glimmer maybe of the Piston offense post Billips.

Curry may or may not know what he is doing but he sure has guts the way he pulls players. Actually, his small ball (cringe) did some damage in the 2nd. He stayed with it a bit too long. I think his vision is to have 3 smalls (with Sheed) in the game attacking at different angles and playing scrambling D.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That was fun. Best they've played all season, starters looked bad for a few stretches, but unlike sunday pulled their heads out of their A___'s to win this one.

Everybody who played earned their paychecks tonight, Rip and AI seemed to be developing something that remotely resembles chemistry..I mean (ahem, cough) RHYTHM.

Coach almost had the perfect rotations tonight, he should've pulled Kwame in favor of Max or Amir at the 6:00 min mark of the 1st qtr, but we ended up OK. At one point in the 2nd half I thought Curry missed an opp to rest Sheed and get Max some mins, but Sheed was on FIRE and he was smart not to disrupt that flow.

Amir and Arrons defense was just awesome, I can't even put it into words, this was one game where the boxscore really doesn't show it........SWEET WIN!!!

Well we're 11-6, even after a major trade that brought us one of the most difficult players in the league to acclimate, we're without a major component in McDyess, we're trying to acclimate a new coach, develop Stuckey & AA into a bigger roles, Amir is practically a rookie......and we're playing .650 ball...not bad, not bad at all. Boston is the Target, let's TAKE 'em DOWN!!!!
  15. roscoe36

The Spurs announcers mentioned late that Sheed had scored 17 points after taking the tech.

I thought that was a good idea by Sheed. The starters haven't been playing with much fire.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

We'll see an end to small ball when/if Amir develops more of an offensive game. Amir allows us to play with the small ball speed, but he's so...so...so...dare I say RHYTHMLESS, that I understand why we go with Tay at the PF spot. However we're making teams adjust to US, when we go small, also with AI and Stuckey you need to get guys out of the paint for them to be effective. I literally watched Kwame's dumb a*$ run into the paint and actually get in Stuckey's way tonight on a potential drive to the basket (LMAO)....Kwame tries hard, but he's dumb as hell......LOL
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Exactly. I actually said that out loud during the game. Curry did something and the Spurs reacted to us. So refreshing.

I was watching this game with the volume off and music cranking. Sometimes you get a different perspective on a game when you can't hear the announcers.

My big picture, gut feeling, was that our defensive activity with the Afflalo, Amir, and Stuckey in the 2nd half was the difference. Our starters hung in there and didn't let SA pull away, but we only ended up allowing 32 points in the 2nd half against a good team. I was really surprised to see how little AA and Amir showed up in the stat sheet afterward, b/c I could have sworn they were dominating.

Otherwise, Rip was hitting tough shots like he used to, Tay was sort of doing a little bit of everything (especially rebounding), and Sheed was bombing 3's. AI was looking rough, but he still got his points off some really difficult shot attempts.

All that matters is that we had a vintage defensive performance. :heh:
  18. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Man! I go to get some food after they get down by a bunch and lo and behold...I come back to a mashing at the end....I missed it...:swear2::gaah:
  19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I missed this game!! Maybe that's the key to us winning. I'm going to see if i can get it to work on NBA broadband. For some reason i have LP, but with cable vision i have trouble with broadband. Sounds like a great road win (I'm not sure if i should use the pouting icon or the smile; roscoe i think we need a bi-polar icon LOL)

edited to add;

I just looked at the box and i love that distribution of min. The only thing i would have liked to see is a little more Arron/Amir and a little less Sheed/AI. However if AI produces at this level and we are winning big games, give him his 40 min in those particular games. I think it's safe to say Rip is OK, and looks like MC's comments really did give Tay a kick in the you know what.
    It's always been this way. That's why Afflalo's absence in the BOS series drove me nuts. He's just a difference maker and sometimes it's unnerving how he can do it w/ really do anything box score wise.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Are we sure New York doesn't allow same sex marriages? I am stunned by NYPistonFan's revelation.

I sometimes have to squint to see if Mike Jordan wears #38 for the Pistons with the way they feature Kwame sometimes. He gets deep position and I think it is smart not to ignore him, but we got Bad Kwame tonight.

People always point to his hands as the reason for his troubles (aside from being dumb), but Sheed has really small hands also.

Sheed can shoot 3's. The Pistons need Sheed to stretch the D and open lanes for AI, Stuckey etc to drive. How do all these other teams get in the paint so easily against DET without a big to stretch the floor? What's their secret?

This feels kind of like beating Milwaukee to me.

Welcome to the rotation Amir Johnson. You've earned it.

You could pick any game this year and you would see Curry more involved in the game than Flip ever was for a combined 30 game stretch. I wish Curry had coached the '06 team.